Page 59 of 170 FirstFirst ... 9495657585960616269109159 ... LastLast

• Miss Marvel

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

I think a plot or throughline ALWAYS enhances an attraction. Otherwise, for the Mansion, it's just another haunted house.

Storyline's can be super subtle though. The Ghost Host as a continuing character is definitely a storyline, and more then enough to launch the Mansion above "another Haunted House."
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

I agree with Data. A distinct storyline for Mansion would not enhance the ride at all, rather it would make it like every other ride in the park with a definite story flow. The beauty of rides like POTC and HM is that it is left open ended as an experience, though I will acknowlage the fact that POTC now has a bit more of a story than it did before the celebrity additions. My point is these are tried-and-true favorites because it's just so much to take in--there's a lot to see, a lot to notice your second, third, fourth, or twentieth time through. It's more interesting than something that is defined and structured.
    Not to say that defined-story rides are bad. Of course not. They have their own charm. But HM is a whole 'nother animal entirely and I like it that way
    dreams. come. true.

• A Honorary Autobot

Quote Originally Posted by BellhopPrincess View Post
    I agree with Data. A distinct storyline for Mansion would not enhance the ride at all, rather it would make it like every other ride in the park with a definite story flow. The beauty of rides like POTC and HM is that it is left open ended as an experience, though I will acknowlage the fact that POTC now has a bit more of a story than it did before the celebrity additions. My point is these are tried-and-true favorites because it's just so much to take in--there's a lot to see, a lot to notice your second, third, fourth, or twentieth time through. It's more interesting than something that is defined and structured.
    Not to say that defined-story rides are bad. Of course not. They have their own charm. But HM is a whole 'nother animal entirely and I like it that way
    Good point, Bellhop, but I think the question is slightly misunderstood.

Clearly and irrefutably, there are evidences of a single, linear plot - although vague and sandwiched between a parade of vignettes with little-to-zero relevance to the single story - that tell of an ill-fated bride, Constance, and her love/hate relationship with her many deceased husbands (most notably George, who is rumored to return in 2009 as the Hatbox Ghost).

Both Constance and George appear more than twice (once in the Stretching Gallery and again in the attic). Rumors of additional appearances of Constance throughout the mansion's halls (one or two singular portraits of her and possibly George in the COD and the Ballroom) would only cement their importance to the HM's most talked about "nonexistent" plot.

The question was to ultimately evaluate whether or not this minor underlying subplot really has any impact or relevance to one's particular and personal ride experience. Acknowledging these cues' presence, are you conscientiously cognizant of the Constance story while riding the attraction? If so, does it deter from your ride experience or does it detract?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Anything to do with Constance greatly ENHANCES the ride for me. Looking for clues, scouring HM websites and talking with fellow HM fans is awesome.

One wonders if when they created the HM, they knew it would be this popular almost 40 years later.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

but when you think about it.....in essence...the "Ghost retirement home" is sort of the story line......from the ghost host to the 2 parties (ballroom and Grave yard) that is basically all the ride is...a retirement home and that is the story line....going on a tour of the ghastly estate

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Does the presence (actual or not) of a linear plot line weaving throughout The Haunted Mansion enhance the attraction's experience or not? If so, why?
    No, I got it. I just kind of got off on a tangent with my response.
    dreams. come. true.

• Grumpy old man

I think a vague storyline like the Mansion has now is perfect for it. You can just enjoy the ride as an experience, as a tour of a ghost retirement home or using your imagination to create the story and everyone would be enjoying it the right way. I think shoehorning a more concise storyline would be determinental to the Mansion and I'd rather see it kept like it is as a series of vignettes (thanks for the great word Data) that are loosely connected but seperate than some sort of long storyline.

• A Honorary Autobot

DESPERATE ATTEMPT TO REJUVENATE THE THREAD 2 PT #3:
    WDW's Haunted Mansion, in addition to its massive refurbishment to the sound system, changing portraits effects, new Endless Stairway Room, and illuminated eyes wallpaper, also received some external touches.

WDW's HM (according to video footage found online) has an ongoing loop of thunder and lightning effects that illuminate the Mansion's facade similar to that of the TOT during Halloween. Additionally, the entire facade has been repainted to show considerable disrepair.

All of the Mansion's ironwork is oxidized, rusty, and stained, the streaks marring the aged brickwork. Surrounding plant life is meticulously maintained to appear wild and overgrown while still within Disney's tight standards of appearance. Additionally, the family plot of Mastery Gracey features freshly turned earth and a freshly cut long-stem rose.

While nowhere near the level of distress of the Phantom Manor, the WDW HM now looks abandoned, haunting, and ancient while altogether stately and handsome. The discolored brickwork, aged iron decor, toppled fountain, and landscaping all help to tell a story.

QUESTION:
    The DL Haunted Mansion is nearing it's 30h Anniversary in which is likely to undergo a certain undisclosed period of closures for additional effects, characters, modifications, and the like (including several new effects found at WDW).

In addition to these additions, would you like to see the New Orleans antebellum-style plantation manse be treated to a likewise visual restyling? Frankly put, would you like to see the Haunted Mansion look a little more...well, haunted?

• Dapper Dan-nabe

I'll just go ahead and say it-

Let the ghosts have the inside.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

NO. Not on the building itself, anyway.
    I adore the design from the movie, but it's a bit too...movie set for me. The only exterior change I would like to see is to make the queue more like the Fastpass garden because of the sheer beauty there--that abandoned but taken care of look that the 'haunted' attractions have (I qualify ToT here). I'd like to see more of that.
    dreams. come. true.

I side with bellhop princess on this one.

The mansion should look well taken care of, but rather deserted.

If this effect is masterd it leads one to wonder...

"This abandoned mansion sure is in tip top shape...but who is taking care of it if it is abandoned? Ghosts maybe?"...creepy no?
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

• Yeti Enthusiast

I'm worried that fake disrepair could lead to real disrepair. I think it's better that the Mansion be up-kept and taken care of rather than being left to languish because of "theme"

• A Honorary Autobot

OK, OK, let me quantify my posting of the HM movie draft design: I didn't have anything else to post that would get the point across. By no means was I calling for the HM's facade to be totally redesigned after the film.

Let me try to paint a potential portrait of external changes in order to "flesh out" this question.

Image the hue of the whitewashed facade slightly dimmer, an off-white, almost faded or stained white. The green adorning the wrought iron and storm studders dimmer as well, almost a murky moss green.

Imagine green, well-laced ivy coiling around the mansion's pillars and posts, the leafy vines looking to almost suffocate the mansion. I see rose bushes seemingly unattended, allowed to grow wild and thorny, yet sprouting attractive vibrant red pedals.

I foresee the removal of the pet cemetary, replaced by the entrance of a once-sealed shut mausoleum, the cement seal curiously broken, the door slightly ajar. The names of five men are listed as occupants, all bereaved by a single woman, one Constance Gracey.

The family plot returns to the brushy hillside. The white hearse finally leaves. In its corner, above the small brick alcove in the mansion's front, a withered, weathered, and vine-entombed wrought iron gazebo stands. From it, soft, disarming music plays inside, music from a solitary music box playing a lonely, woeful tune.

As per Bellhop's suggestion, the entrance garden will receive a tasteful selection of period-correct, stately statues and busts, only these mute occupants of the mansion will too be coiled and wrapped in overgrowth (imagine a woman's bust buried deep behind cypress trees, so encompassed with spidery vines that her hair looks disturbingly like the gargon portrait inside).

This is what I am proposing. It's a complete departure from Walt's "let's take care of the outside" comment, but also retains a bit of reverance to his maxim, as the mansion will look aged, but not dilapidated.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

I had no creative ideas on how to rework the exterior aside from the movie designs...I'm running on fumes today, I've barely slept in like two months and I've barely eaten anything today and it's all catching up to me. Hence the babbling.
    Like now.
    I like your vision Rusty. I could see that, but only more on the side of we ae walking in to a family plot at the side of the direct side of the house, where the cattle chutes are. The gazebo would be on the far edge of the pet cemetary, closer to the boundaries of the estate--or even an expansion of the queue line so that it goes through the gazebo, which would then be closer to the fastpass garden (yay for unity of appearance!). The mentioned busts and such would be in the back near the hill, to lead the eye onto the plots up there, and I can see morning glories taking over (controlled chaos, mind you) on the hill and entwining the busts.
    Sigh. I suddenly want to do concept art and diagrams now but I have to make costume pieces for my show and an english project and an economics project so I can't. In fact I probably should be sleeping or something right now.
    And MatterhornBoy, I saw closer to 'overgrown English garden' sort of 'unkept' rather than truly looking unkept. Where, hmm, that bush over there is rather overgrown and asymmetrical, but somehow...beautiful and balanced....
    dreams. come. true.

• =)

Meh...just today, I was in the park admiring how perfect the mansion is as-is (minus the HMH trappings, that is ). It is a little off-white--slightly yellowish, which manages to make it more beautiful and more creepy at the same time. I like it without the the ivy and vines you're suggesting, Rusty. Sorry!

I foresee the removal of the pet cemetary, replaced by the entrance of a once-sealed shut mausoleum, the cement seal curiously broken, the door slightly ajar. The names of five men are listed as occupants, all bereaved by a single woman, one Constance Gracey.
    Now that's an interesting idea. (Un)fortunately, it won't happen, since Disney's current style tends not to favor spending money on areas that aren't often seen. Besides, while your idea is a very cool one, the area in its current state certainly isn't lacking. I really enjoyed my time in the pet cemetery today, and it'd be a pity to see this small but charming bit of HM history be destroyed.

The family plot returns to the brushy hillside.
    Very good...

The white hearse finally leaves.
    Not as good, but still good...

In its corner, above the small brick alcove in the mansion's front, a withered, weathered, and vine-entombed wrought iron gazebo stands. From it, soft, disarming music plays inside, music from a solitary music box playing a lonely, woeful tune.
    Such a good idea, it's already been done.

On an entirely different note, today was my second attempt at tolerating HMH. I've got to say, I enjoyed it more this time, especially when I saw the mini gorilla bride. But it is downright atrocious how much light is in the attraction during the overlay. The original mansion was built with darkness in mind. When garishly lit cutouts start appearing all over the place, the light bounces everywhere, illuminating ceiling tiles and places where the scrims are attached and...ugh, it's just bad.

(Speaking of unwanted visible ceilings, by the way, I got a kick out of seeing a balloon hovering above the Blue Bayou, held captive at an altitude of perhaps 30 feet by some mysterious, invisible barrier. )