Page 6 of 170 FirstFirst ... 3456789163156106 ... LastLast

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

how odd that a ghostly retirement home needs any more story than that.... with the sterile towers of glass and steel walt decided to open up facilities for ghost that were disposessed of there inhierited haunting grounds
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Pix, we need pix.
    I might have a blurry one...

Update: Must have deleted it....sorry.
    Last edited by hollywood1939; 07-30-2007 at 11:25 PM.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

The original bride was spooky, ominous-looking, and her groom was standing on the other side of the room--beheaded.
    Eh? When was this? You don't mean the Hatbox Ghost, do you? I'd never heard he was supposed to be a groom - I thought the gag was just there for the sake of the gag.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Popeye the sailor was originally in the Coast Guard. Then, in the 50's, they suddenly put him in a Navy white sailor suit. Nobody claims there are "two" Popeyes. Same with the attic bride. There is only one HM attic bride ghost, but she's been revised twice. Connie is actually closer to the original bride than any of the others (including the movie version and PM's Melanie). The original bride was spooky, ominous-looking, and her groom was standing on the other side of the room--beheaded.
    I appreciate the 'Popeye' analogy ( an odd choice, but from you I would expect no less), but Popeye's essential nature did not change when he changed uniform.

Constance has a vastly different look, coupled with a predatory demeanor now, one that she did not, to me, have in earlier incarnations (spooky, but kinda sad; the jilted bride). I still believe the HM Bride today (Constance) is a more fully explored version of the HM Brides of the past, however. It's all mental gymnastics, but speculation in this area is entertaining, and why your original thread (I believe) was such a phenomenon.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseRemainSeated View Post
    Eh? When was this? You don't mean the Hatbox Ghost, do you? I'd never heard he was supposed to be a groom - I thought the gag was just there for the sake of the gag.
    1. See post 51 above, the description of the HBG that comes with the big fig.
    2. "Story and Song of the HM" narration: "With each beat of his bride's heart, his head disappeared from his body and appeared in the hatbox."
    3. Show a bride and an adult male to any random group of people, and +90% of them are going to assume he's the groom. Other than the pop-ups, there were only two figures in the original attic: The bride and the HBG. The Imagineers could not have been ignorant of the fact that he would be perceived as the groom. They must have intended it or at least been comfortable with it.

Interesting!

That kind of makes me feel even worse that the AA got removed. Although, it would actually be awkward now - why would he and Constance just be hanging out together after she murdered him?
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• Fighter Pilot

cause its a ride

•   

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseRemainSeated View Post
    Interesting!

That kind of makes me feel even worse that the AA got removed. Although, it would actually be awkward now - why would he and Constance just be hanging out together after she murdered him?
    This brings up other inane, meaningless theories such as mine: The HBG is the Bride's suitor, but only after-death. A post-life courtship; and what, as a suitor, would you offer as a present to a head-chopping Bride? Your own head, of course!

•   

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    cause its a ride
    In the end, Awesome has it right; it's just fun (at least to me) to speculate and theorize.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    This brings up other inane, meaningless theories such as mine: The HBG is the Bride's suitor, but only after-death. A post-life courtship; and what, as a suitor, would you offer as a present to a head-chopping Bride? Your own head, of course!
    Cute! I like that.

I'd think that she'd consider him kind of a pest; she's had enough of husbands. "But Constance, my dear..."

Lovely, lovely!

• Inhospitable about happy

Actually, that's a Thread-worthy topic. The "middle bride" is usually contrasted with the original blank-faced bride and Constance as being a softer, more pathetic, more passive figure. In reality, she was ambiguous, at least at DL. She started out gentle, but they eventually covered her face with her veil and changed her eyes. Behold a small gallery of portraits of the DL "middle bride."

Yep, it's Barbie all right. But look at these more recent shots:

(pic by Tim Devine)

(bottom pic by Frogberto)
    Last edited by HBG2; 07-31-2007 at 08:33 PM. Reason: photo credits

• hatbox ghost believer

I always liked the original DL bride myself. Creeped the hell out of me as a kid (but I loved it)! The "middle bride" just seemed too homogenized to me (the veil helped, but still not as powerful visually as the original bride) & don't even get me started on the hideousness that is the WDW version (BLECH!- she looked like a drag queen!). But, "Constance" is a clever resolve IMO. I love it!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• =)

I barely remember the original bride. I've seen photos, but my own memories of her are scarce. The middle bride worked once her face was covered and her eyes glowed--a little more sophisticated motion would have been nice, but she was still effective. Constance fits better into the scene than I expected, but the projection technology isn't flawless. The thing about the other projected characters in the mansion (Madame Leota and the singing busts) is that there's really nothing to tip you off to the fact that it's a projection. With Constance, you can immediately tell when you watch her arm go up and down--it's no closer to the guests than her torso is. She's too close for my depth perception to be fooled.

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    I appreciate the 'Popeye' analogy ( an odd choice, but from you I would expect no less), but Popeye's essential nature did not change when he changed uniform.

Constance has a vastly different look, coupled with a predatory demeanor...
    Not to mention an actual name. Popeye was never just called "The Sailor," even before the uniform change.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I barely remember the original bride. I've seen photos, but my own memories of her are scarce. The middle bride worked once her face was covered and her eyes glowed--a little more sophisticated motion would have been nice, but she was still effective. Constance fits better into the scene than I expected, but the projection technology isn't flawless. The thing about the other projected characters in the mansion (Madame Leota and the singing busts) is that there's really nothing to tip you off to the fact that it's a projection. With Constance, you can immediately tell when you watch her arm go up and down--it's no closer to the guests than her torso is. She's too close for my depth perception to be fooled.
    If rumors are true, our Constance is supposedly going to get an update, that the way she is now was just perhaps a test or something (maybe to see how we'd all react to her? I don't know). And hopefully, when that happens, we'll get a new HBG and the HHGs will get their "interactive" updates as well.

My guess is that WDW's HM will get some of the things we're still waiting for currently (and I'm happy that their HM is getting the TLC is deserves), and we'll get an idea of what we'll be seeing soon over in Anaheim.

I love Constance...it just bugs me that I can tell that she's totally projected onto a dummy, because amongst other things, the dummy has wrinkles bunched up on her neck. It looks really strange, and that's always the first thing I see when I look at her. I don't try to look for it...it's just painstakingly obvious.

Page 6 of 170 FirstFirst ... 3456789163156106 ... LastLast