Page 61 of 170 FirstFirst ... 113651585960616263647186111161 ... LastLast

• A Honorary Autobot

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

As for Leota, frankly, had the crystal ball stayed mounted in its perch, but the whole table bobbed and weaved, I'd be all for it. The floating disembodied head of doom just looks like a purple/green lady's head reflected in a glossy bubble from the drunken sequence in "Dumbo."

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    Speaking of....
    I was asked on a MySpace HM board if there were going to be any special merchandise released for the 40th in 2009. Does anyone have any info?
    No info just supposition. If Disney can make a buck off it they will sell it. If they can use it to push people into the park they will. Limited edition pins, tshirts, bags, think pirate merchandising, just change it to a HM theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

I don't like Connie terribly but I was sad when I went through the attic and she wasn't there for the HMH. The effect just bothers me in how it's done because she looks...well...like a projection on a sheet being blown by a fan. Which isn't to say it's not great in its simplicity--much as how the busts and the ballroom ghosts are simple yet effective--I just feel that it's not working. Let's just get the new Connie in the Anaheim Mansion and see how that works.
    I won't repeat my Connie rants. Just thought I'd skim the topic as a whole to bump The Thread for the day.
    dreams. come. true.

• A Honorary Autobot

For the 40th, I think it's imperative that Disney really ramp up the love for the HM. I don't quite recall much of anything for the POTC 40th (save for a trilogy of billion-dollar grossing films and the spreading of pirates to other areas of the parks in attractions and gift shops)...

But as the HM has undergone reasonably minimal changes over the last four decades, I think it ripe for some serious reworking. Not necessarily in theming - as it is obviously a much beloved fixture in the park - but in the way of technology, lighting, and detailing.

I hate how bright the loading area is (actually, I hate it nearly altogether), how the rolling garage door is totally visible in the attic, and that the rooms are so brightly lit that you can count the ceiling tiles and fans. Yes, I agree that Constance's 21st Century effect looks out of place in a building full of 60's animatronics. Therefore, I vote that many of the major "action" characters be replaced with new AA's.

PS: Bellhop, thanks for the inclusion in your signature. It made me laugh just seeing it again!

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

You're welcome, Rusty!!! It made me laugh for like 10 minutes so of course I'd include it!!
    I kept saying I'd do some sketches, and tonight I did one. After the one, however, my creative juices diminshed so much that I couldn't get any other ideas I had out onto paper. Sooo, here's the one I got tonight, of the hearse and how I'd re-vision it.

It's rough, I know. But I got it (yay!)
    dreams. come. true.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Nice BHP. Great drawing.

speaking of multi-billion-trillion-zillion dollar blockbuster hits.........
    I'm sure we all saw the terrible Eddie Murphy film..................
    I think its a fair bet that the disaster that was that movie has something to do with the lack of attention the attractions themselves have recieved since.
    although the floating Leota ball is surely an idea taken from the movie. granted the movie did have afew cute moments and snuck in some of the ghost host dialogue it still did absolutely nothing for me (with the exception of eddie murphy driving home with the four singing bust strapped to the car, that was amusing)

• =)

I hate how bright the loading area is (actually, I hate it nearly altogether), how the rolling garage door is totally visible in the attic, and that the rooms are so brightly lit that you can count the ceiling tiles and fans. Yes, I agree that Constance's 21st Century effect looks out of place in a building full of 60's animatronics. Therefore, I vote that many of the major "action" characters be replaced with new AA's.
    Agreed, though things aren't as bad for the--what, six months of the year that the original mansion can be experienced. HMH's bountiful "issues" shed a lot more light on the things that shouldn't be seen, but it's still too much for the rest of the year, too. Oh my goodness, the seance room walls are SO horribly visible during HMH. Really astonishingly bad show. Interesting and educational for a Disneyland geek like me, but really bad show for most guests.

you are soooooooo right about HMH. why does Disneyland after more that 50 years need to rely on blacklight effects? the entire right is all in blacklight. its so utterly rediculous. yes I realize that much of the original used a lot of blacklight but for heaven sake HMH is all painted plywood and glowpaint. as though they didnt even try. yeesh
    ok I'll shut up before I totally go off on a tangent of no return
    or should I even bring up adding Johnny Depp to POC?....lol
    man I'm 27 and already a bitter stubborn old man...........yikes

anyhow, I'm guessing that the reason that things that shouldnt be seen show up so much more during HMH would be because of the extra blacklights that are used. unless things are painted totally black, it would be very likely to show up in some way when the blacklighting reflects the color. one would think that there would be a way to control the bleeding of light. I can think of a few places, the attic in particular, where a simple piece of black sack cloth would do the trick.

• =)

By the way--somewhat off-topic compared to the recent discussions in this thread--but I thought I'd interject a relevant plug for my 3D thread, since I just posted two renders of the entire mansion facility. You can see how the facade relates to the show building. Anyway, just thought I should make sure y'all see it, ghost fans, since I know I spent quite a while looking for things like that until I made them myself.

• Halloween 2011

Quote Originally Posted by pongee View Post
    speaking of multi-billion-trillion-zillion dollar blockbuster hits.........
    I'm sure we all saw the terrible Eddie Murphy film..................
    I think its a fair bet that the disaster that was that movie has something to do with the lack of attention the attractions themselves have recieved since.
    ???
    Since the film's failure, the DL Mansion has received several upgrades including the floating Leota and Constance and the entire attic. The WDW Mansion has been closed for an entire refurbishment and retooling with new sounds, effects, and a new scene in addition to Constance and Floating Leota like at Disneyland.

If anything, I'd say the Imagineers were doing their best to disance the Mansions from the movie.

• A Honorary Autobot

Couple of points:

First: Data, outstanding job on the 3D rendering. It takes a certain degree of anal-retentiveness to actually get the ventilation routing on the show building's roof right. Kudos to you! Great work.

Second: In regards to Dougee's comment, yes, in the last two years, the American Haunted Mansions have received quite a bit of attention. I do not equate any of these additions and improvements as aftershocks of the feature film, but rather, the film being a repercussion of the Mansion's cult status.

The HM film - as many already know - were in pre-production long before the POTC trilogy was ever planned. The HM, as an entity of its own, is a time-honored and revered attraction with an attractiveness and allure all of its own. To even the once-in-a-lifetime attendee, the HM carries a certain draw in the same way that people are lured into listening to campfire ghost stories though they're sure to suffer nightmares.

What I meant by commenting on the HM's current "B-" status, is that since it's opening in 1969, the mansion has remained, especially Anaheim's, the same since then, and is, to many, a little stale in parts.

Only minor modifications have been made, such as the extraction of a certain infamous ghoulish guest, the changing of the Changing Portraits effects (and back again), the different Bride manifestations, and likewise.

I believe this is for two reasons:

1) TDA's Imagineers are intimately aware of how the HM's timelessness rests with guests regardless of frequency. They try to preserve this attraction as best as they can. At least as the HM is concerned, TDA is not one for rash decisions.

2) Any changes to the HM are weighed and argued if they add or detract from the HM's theme. Cramming an AA Eddie Murphy in the place of the caretaker or peaking his head out from behind a chest of drawers in the attic would be a very rash and fool hearty decision - and ultimately - a waste of a lot of money.

The HM is (as sacrilegious as it may sound) sacred ground. TDA knows this, and that is why erratic changes are left to less revered attractions. (Yeah, you heard me you POTC and TSI loons, I said it.) HMH? HMH has a massive fanbase of pseudo goth kids and mopey teenagers and twentysomethings. Believe it. Disney wouldn't waste the money otherwise.

all that being said, I 99% agree. POTC should never have been altered in my opinion, there I said it. as RustyMuscle said of HMH, there is a large fanbase, okay then, with any luck this will be outgrown fairly quickly,as to me HMH totally removes everything that the HM is, personally I can think of a few better way to do a holiday version of a classic attraction. Obviously this was true in Small World. The only think that I really DID like was that the narrator of HMH is the son of Paul Frees and has an almost indistinguishable voice from his father (our beloved ghost host). Pardon me if I sound a little better but I would rather have had my first experiance of DL's HM to have been in the summer as I was very dissapointed in HMH. Okay now I will stop ranting.....lol......before I make a total fool outta myself.

• A Honorary Autobot

Quote Originally Posted by pongee View Post
    I would rather have had my first experiance of DL's HM to have been in the summer as I was very dissapointed in HMH. Okay now I will stop ranting.....lol......before I make a total fool outta myself.
    That's a really good point, Pongee. Of those few guests who arrive at DL without knowing all of the seasonal treatments to said attractions will be disappointed when they enter the HM or IASW.

I'm certain TDA is aware of this, but continues to draw out the HMH for such a long period. Why? I think, again, it's all about money. It's too cost prohibitive to shut down the attraction (say in Sept.) for a month, have the HMH, and shut it down again to strip it clean in November where THOUSANDS of guests flood the park.

Sad to admit, but TDA did their homework.

does it really take them that long to convert the whole ride???
    well I can actually see running it from oct to the end of dec. it does make sense but for newcomers it is irritating.

(by the way, were you like sitting in front of the computer waiting for me to reply?....lol)