Page 68 of 170 FirstFirst ... 184358656667686970717893118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 2545

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

I would never have noticed. I look at each picture on the ride and I still would not have had a clue. Good Eye!

• I'm listening to KDROID

Stupid question, and going back quite a ways (and if HBG2 is back even for just a little while, perhaps there's a better chance I can find a satisfactory answer):

When the fastpass area first opened up for the HM year round, there was this creepy yet hauntingly alluring atmospheric music that filled the pagoda (or whatever it is). I thought it might have been the music box chime used at the Phantom Manor, however if that indeed is the same music heard now in the queue for the HMH, then that's not what I was thinking of.

When I was there for New Years, I could have sworn I faintly heard it underneath the far more overpowering line music, but I may have been trying to hear it and may have been projecting it onto the underlying theme of the music box.

I bought the Haunted Mansion soundtrack outside of the exit in hopes of procuring this loop, however it was not on there (though I do not regret buying the album... I now much better understand the significance of receiving a Faldric Nomjij).

Does anyone remember what I'm talking about? And if some soul does, would they know how to procure this little melody?

• =)

SFH, that's indeed the Phantom Manor gazebo music playing. It plays year-round in the FastPass area, despite the fact that the area isn't in use except during HMH--except by people like me who love just standing in there.

Annoyingly, however, the HMH queue plays that same music--but it's not synced up! So while you stand in the FP area during HMH, you hear two different parts of the piece simultaneously! Not as annoying for many people as it is for me, but still pretty bad...

EDIT: And yes, part of the gazebo music is on that very soundtrack you bought. It's at the beginning and end of the Phantom Manor track. Not the whole loop, unfortunately, though.

• hatbox ghost believer

Hurrah! We got my favorite (and most stylish) ghost back with us for a brief visit! Guess the spirits were happy to let him materialize, if only for a moment...

While we wait for his next visit, I wonder if we'll get any upgrades when our manse re-opens?
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• is too darn hot.

Probably not. Just general maintenance. That's the good thing about HMH, it let's them recondition everything in the mansion at least once a year.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Inhospitable about happy

Daveland has recently posted this old attic shot at his Haunted Mansion blog (http://davelandwebhm.blogspot.com/20...c-details.html)

Recognize the location? Compare it with the same scene in May '06:

Fun to see what they kept from the old attic. The ship model, some of the furniture. In Dave's photo, see the blast-up wires at the far right? Here's another shot of the same scene, taken a bit earlier, in which you can see the blast-up just emerging from its basket.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Welcome back HBG. The conversation had turned to potatoes. And I wish that was just a funny expression.

I suppose to keep the cost low they just reuse props from earlier scenes or from earlier tableaus (did I spell that correctly?). It certainly helps...I'm propmaster for my new show and it's crazy to have to go out and buy more props than you need.

Which reminds me, I need to go buy sponges to make clovers.
    dreams. come. true.

Quote Originally Posted by BellhopPrincess View Post
    Welcome back HBG. The conversation had turned to potatoes. And I wish that was just a funny expression.

I suppose to keep the cost low they just reuse props from earlier scenes or from earlier tableaus (did I spell that correctly?). It certainly helps...I'm propmaster for my new show and it's crazy to have to go out and buy more props than you need.

Which reminds me, I need to go buy sponges to make clovers.
    Thanks. Yep, cost savings and thematic considerations too, I imagine (like keeping the little ship model...a hint at the old sea captain storyline).

Okay, here's something that gives me great pleasure to post. You all know that I'm a Ken Anderson fan, and I've posted a number of times about his contributions to the HM, making him a true father of the Mansion along with Marc, Claude, Rolly, etc.

I've also mentioned that the ballroom is a great showcase of how the various talents were blended together. The ghosts are mostly from Marc Davis concepts (table guests, organist, duelists, chandelier trio, arriving guests, mantlepiece guy), the layout of the hall is mostly Claude (arrangement of organ, dancers, table, the side balcony viewpoint), the ambitious Pepper's ghost effect is mostly Rolly and Yale, the organ pipes are Rolly, the skullish banshees and probably the window wraiths are Claude. I knew that the idea of a birthday party in the grand hall and some of the other ideas on display were Ken Anderson's, but I didn't know that one of the actual ghosts is directly inspired by Ken's concept art, not Marc Davis's--which is a rarity.

Ken had originally conceived of Granny in the bedroom scene of his walk-thru HM, but it was easy enough to put her in the ballroom, and with her inclusion that scene is even more solidly connected to the whole galaxy of major talents involved in the HM project than I had thought.

• Dapper Dan-nabe

Very cool! I have to say, going through a walk-thru and coming across a lone granny ghost in a bedroom probably would have been about the creepiest thing in the park.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Hmmm. Instead of HMH take out the DBs and make it a walk through for a few months. It'd never work but I'd love it.

• =)

I have to say, going through a walk-thru and coming across a lone granny ghost in a bedroom probably would have been about the creepiest thing in the park.
    Indeed.

And yet another great post, HBG2. I've always loved the ballroom, and I'm sure the insane combination of talents and disciplines has something to do with it. Great set design, great characters of numerous origins, great special effects...it's just amazing...

• A Honorary Autobot

Glad to see this thread back from the dead. I labored for a couple of months to keep it alive (with the help of Data, Aashee, and Bellhop).

As for the Hat Box Ghost and his fame, it is rather interesting the clout that WDI placed on him without him actually surviving a whole season. Obviously, they understood something about his design and that it would strike a cord with so many people, otherwise they wouldn't have used him as such a major icon.

I would amass that surviving WDI team members still harbor a little bit of unrequited love for the vanished ghoul. That would explain his materialization in figurines, sculptures, and other schwag. It only preludes to a most desired and anticipated return...

Will Hattie come back? How about for the 40th anniversary?

It's a neat idea.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

40th anniversary is perfect. "Look who's come back to get his wedding present?". I can see the commercials now!

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Hmmm. Instead of HMH take out the DBs and make it a walk through for a few months. It'd never work but I'd love it.
    Exactly. The walk-thru experience of the first part of DL's mansion is one of its major plusses, but there's no way it could have been sustained for the whole attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I've always loved the ballroom, and I'm sure the insane combination of talents and disciplines has something to do with it. Great set design, great characters of numerous origins, great special effects...it's just amazing...
    While I'm grooooving on the Ken Anderson thing, here's two more examples of influence. One starts with Anderson and goes backward to his inspiration, and the other starts with him and goes forward to the later resurrection and incorporation of one of his ideas (but largely unrecognized as such, until The Thread Two decided to focus its all-seeing, all knowing eye upon it).

Anderson wanted to have ghostly lady appear on the stairway early in his HM version (Phantom Manor, anyone?):

If you compare a close-up of the sketch with the photo of the "Brown Lady," often-cited as the most famous ghost photo ever taken, it looks to me like it could be a case of direct inspiration:

Here's one account of the Brown Lady photo:

This portrait of "The Brown Lady" ghost is arguably the most famous and well-regarded ghost photograph ever taken. The ghost is thought to be that of Lady Dorothy Townshend, wife of Charles Townshend, 2nd Viscount of Raynham, residents of Raynham Hall in Norfolk, England in the early 1700s. It was rumored that Dorothy, before her marriage to Charles, had been the mistress of Lord Wharton. Charles suspected Dorothy of infidelity. Although according to legal records she died and was buried in 1726, it was suspected that the funeral was a sham and that Charles had locked his wife away in a remote corner of the house until her death many years later.

Dorothy's ghost is said to haunt the oak staircase and other areas of Raynham Hall. In the early 1800s, King George IV, while staying at Raynham, saw the figure of a woman in a brown dress standing beside his bed. She was seen again standing in the hall in 1835 by Colonel Loftus, who was visiting for the Christmas holidays. He saw her again a week later and described her as wearing a brown satin dress, her skin glowing with a pale luminescence. It also seemed to him that her eyes had been gouged out. A few years later, Captain Frederick Marryat and two friends saw "the Brown Lady" gliding along an upstairs hallway, carrying a lantern. As she passed, Marryat said, she grinned at the men in a "diabolical manner." Marryat fired a pistol at the apparition, but the bullet simply passed through.

This famous photo was taken in September, 1936 by Captain Provand and Indre Shira, two photographers who were assigned to photograph Raynham Hall for Country Life magazine. This is what happened, according to Shira:

"Captain Provand took one photograph while I flashed the light. He was focusing for another exposure; I was standing by his side just behind the camera with the flashlight pistol in my hand, looking directly up the staircase. All at once I detected an ethereal veiled form coming slowly down the stairs. Rather excitedly, I called out sharply: 'Quick, quick, there's something.' I pressed the trigger of the flashlight pistol. After the flash and on closing the shutter, Captain Provand removed the focusing cloth from his head and turning to me said: 'What's all the excitement about?'"

Upon developing the film, the image of The Brown Lady ghost was seen for the first time. It was published in the December 16, 1936 issue of Country Life. The ghost has been seen occasionally since.
    http://paranormal.about.com/od/ghost...Brown-Lady.htm

---------------------
    Okay, here's the other Andersonian thingy. The epitaphs on the walls around the outside of the queue are not original; they were added after they took out the queue graveyard (the loss of which is much-lamented by HBG2).

You can see that they weren't there originally:

The addition of the epitaphs in an early-to-mid 70's modification harks back to Ken's artwork. Notice his concept of the walk-around graveyard that visitors would explore after exiting the main attraction:

Last edited by HBG2; 01-14-2008 at 02:23 PM.

• A Honorary Autobot

HBG2, would you argue that Anderson's artwork would play a heavier influence on the Phantom Manor than say, the TDA HM?

I say this only because of the dilapidated state of the PH manor versus the preserved fashion of the NOS HM (as well as the aforementioned effects).