Page 69 of 170 FirstFirst ... 194459666768697071727994119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 2545

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    HBG2, would you argue that Anderson's artwork would play a heavier influence on the Phantom Manor than say, the TDA HM?

I say this only because of the dilapidated state of the PH manor versus the preserved fashion of the NOS HM (as well as the aforementioned effects).
    Well, a dilapidated haunted house is the default mode, and Walt surprised everyone by going against this tradition. As someone has pointed out elsewhere, Walt was battling the image of amusement parks as dirty, run-down-looking places when he conceived of DL, and he wanted to avoid anything that smacked of that. By the time of PM, Disney's image of maintaining top-quality parks was fully established, and that battle no longer needed to be fought, so the tradition of a beat-up old house was "safe" to
    bring back. No one would ever think that PM looked like it needed paint because Disney was too cheap to do proper maintenance!

So, aside from individual examples of possible inspiration from old Ken Anderson ideas, I wouldn't look at PM and attribute the general idea of a run-down old house to him but rather to a more general tradition about what haunted houses are supposed to look like.

P.S. 40th anniversary for HBG's return sounds like a real possibility to me. It would be just the thing to make that anniversary special, wouldn't it?

• A Honorary Autobot

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    P.S. 40th anniversary for HBG's return sounds like a real possibility to me. It would be just the thing to make that anniversary special, wouldn't it?
    Agreed. In fact, it was WDW's HM getting the advanced sound system and trick new effects before NOS HM that rattled me. Usually, WDW is the last rung in the ladder of new goodies. Of course, the WDW HM now looks more abandoned than ever before with rusty pipes, moldy brickwork, and general disuse more than ever. It's rather striking.

Apart from the surround sound, possibly the wallpaper eyes, and - possibly - Connie 2.0, do you expect the facade to get the likewise "aging" treatment as did WDW's HM for the 40th?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Makes perfect sense for next year. Close down early January. Make a boatload of improvements for the 40th anniversary. Open it in May for the big summer push. Calm down Chad, this is getting way too exciting.

Agreed. In fact, it was WDW's HM getting the advanced sound system and trick new effects before NOS HM that rattled me. Usually, WDW is the last rung in the ladder of new goodies. Of course, the WDW HM now looks more abandoned than ever before with rusty pipes, moldy brickwork, and general disuse more than ever. It's rather striking.

Apart from the surround sound, possibly the wallpaper eyes, and - possibly - Connie 2.0, do you expect the facade to get the likewise "aging" treatment as did WDW's HM for the 40th?
    I expect that they'll leave the HM exterior alone. It's become a classic look in its own right, and there's no need for it to follow the herd. As for WDW, their HM was notoriously in need of some major TLC, and finally got it. I'm sure that many of the new effects will end up in DL, but it makes sense to me that they'd give WDW a year of usage to work out all the kinks and glitches before putting it in at DL. Why not benefit from what WDW learns after a year of invaluable, real-world experience? I'm looking at 2009 for this stuff to appear at DL, with maybe HBG added too, for the 40th bash.

• A Honorary Autobot

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Calm down Chad, this is getting way too exciting.
    Chad? Like a hanging/pregnant/dangling chad?

• Dapper Dan-nabe

Do you think there's a possibility of a temporary HBG return? If, by some chance, they still haven't found a way to make the effect work effectively (turn of phrase intended) they could still put him out there as a limited time bonus. Talk about something that would draw crowds.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Chad? Like a hanging/pregnant/dangling chad?
    I prefer hanging. Not like Master Gracey in the stretching room however.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

I prefer hanging. Not like Master Gracey in the stretching room however.
    Good choice.
    Agreed. In fact, it was WDW's HM getting the advanced sound system and trick new effects before NOS HM that rattled me.
    Long deserved were the improvements to the WDW HM. They seem to have had so little for so long, that too much was just about right. The 'escher' like stairwell is pretty darn cool. The 'watcher' wallpaper is great also. If these are hints at what NOS is in store for, HM fans should be pleased.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm glad WDW got the upgrades first for 2 reasons:

1. It desperately needed them. I went 8 years ago and it just wasn't what it should have been.

2. Let Florida be the guinea pig. See what works and bring it here. It also gives time to work on even greater ideas and technology.

• =)

1. It desperately needed them. I went 8 years ago and it just wasn't what it should have been.

2. Let Florida be the guinea pig. See what works and bring it here. It also gives time to work on even greater ideas and technology.
    That's exactly the kind of Calicentric thinking I encourage in all Disney park fans!

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

I feel like I'm jumping in inappropriately here. I just want to feel like I exist, being background isn't always fun, lol!

I have a feeling HBG will be coming back, if only for a little while. If I'm wrong then at least we'll be getting all those goodies. I am SO excited for the new sound system--I got that video that was floating around (haha) with the stereo sound, and it blew me away. I can't wait!
    dreams. come. true.

A couple more random pieces of Ken Anderson concept art. I found this stuff, btw, in the classic article in The E-Ticket #41 (Fall 2004) on Anderson's "Ghost House," hence the Anderson overload in recent posts. There's a lot of artwork in that issue, and I figure no one here will mind seeing some of it, especially since I've blown up some of these little pix.

Yep, looks like Ken should get a certain amount of credit for the COD ghoulish portraits.

Scrim ghosts, anyone? I really like this one. Simple and effective.

Nice, isn't it?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Incredible HBG. You gotta figure they go back to these old concepts to start new ones.

Incredible HBG. You gotta figure they go back to these old concepts to start new ones.
    Absolutely they do. One of the best proofs I know of is the Flying Dutchman artwork, discussed earlieir (see http://www.micechat.com/forums/showp...&postcount=552). It's obvious that they went back to Marc Davis's original series of paintings and selected a different one in the series to serve as the model for the 2005 revised painting.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Absolutely they do. One of the best proofs I know of is the Flying Dutchman artwork, discussed earlieir (see http://www.micechat.com/forums/showp...&postcount=552). It's obvious that they went back to Marc Davis's original series of paintings and selected a different one in the series to serve as the model for the 2005 revised painting.
    I love that shot HBG. Nothing like getting out of the stretching room last so you can really study the changing portraits.