Page 7 of 170 FirstFirst ... 45678910173257107 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

She's also been out of focus for the last couple of weeks.

Also, they used to have a light on right outside the attic and the light was facing the outside of the mansion towards the window behind Constance. Then they didn't have it on...for a while. Now they have it on again and at first I thought that one of the service lights were on because you could see parts that you shouldn't be seeing (pipes and even a sign that said something to the effect of electricity is around), now they just have the light focused on the roof which looks good. I really missed that part because it showed that you were really leaving the house and showed more detail of the ride.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• =)

It's interesting to look at the attic exterior. In the midst of my 3D modeling, I developed a very close understanding of how it looks, and Friday was the first time I visited the mansion after doing this. It's so dark, and most people really don't pick up on the fact that they're descending down a hill next to the back of the house.

If you look closely enough and aren't afraid to lean out around the right side of the Doombuggy, you can see a stairwell that leads from the graveyard level down to the floor below, over to two unthemed doors in the wall below the attic. I wish I was inconsiderate enough to take a flash picture of the area.

• Genteel Amphibian

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post

Also, they used to have a light on right outside the attic and the light was facing the outside of the mansion towards the window behind Constance. Then they didn't have it on...for a while. Now they have it on again and at first I thought that one of the service lights were on because you could see parts that you shouldn't be seeing (pipes and even a sign that said something to the effect of electricity is around), now they just have the light focused on the roof which looks good. I really missed that part because it showed that you were really leaving the house and showed more detail of the ride.
    I saw this area for the first time last week. I remember thinking distinctly, "I don't think I should be able to see that". I thought I saw what might have been a black-out curtain that is supposed to hide this area not all the way shut, partially concealing the door and pipe but it so dark I could have imagined it.

• =)

By the way...does anyone else feel like the ballroom organ track needs to have its volume pumped up? I know the first part of the ballroom focuses more on the birthday party than on the waltz, but I get frustrated with how hard to hear it is. It's actually a work of musical genius--it sits at the intersection of great composition and great improvisation, and more importantly, it works really well in the scene. But it took years for me to even realize it was a variation on GGG, simply because I could rarely hear more than a few seconds of it, and these seconds were often from the crazy section near the end. What do you guys think?

And on a similarly musical topic, I think the official attraction soundtrack has a lot of great material, but it really fails in a number of ways. For one, the graveyard tracks frequently don't line up with each other. The singing busts are the worst offenders--not only is the sound quality terrible, but they end up half a beat ahead of the background track. In addition to this, the album fails to isolate many of the musical tracks like the Pirates album does. Admittedly, there are more musical tracks in the Haunted Mansion than in POTC, but some of the less interesting bonus material could have been omitted in favor of isolated music loops.

Things would have been even better if the Tokyo narration track were removed and made available on a separate Tokyo Disneyland Haunted Mansion album instead. Phantom Manor especially deserves a separate release--trying to fit it all onto a generic Haunted Mansion soundtrack takes up valuable time on the disc and doesn't allow the material to be fully presented.

EDIT: Man, I wish the backstage stuff had been visible when I went! I really enjoy seeing that stuff, and it'd be especially helpful with the modeling.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    I've noticed issues with Constance ever since Haunted Mansion Holiday left last year. From what I've noticed, she's never been correctly re-aligned, and she goes in and out of being in focus. It's a shame, really, cause when she was first installed and the Imagineers had set her up just perfectly, she offered a really great, eerie effect. Now she's just an unfocused projection.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Fighter Pilot

Thats why Holiday needs to go away, it takes forever to get everything working properly from syncing up Letoa's speech and take forever to get her to start floating again and all that jazz. Its quite annoying to fans that notice these things

• =)

Honestly, I wish HMH weren't so popular. In addition to creating all sorts of problems when it returns to the original, HMH has never sat quite right with me, and it makes me miss the original a lot.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Honestly, I wish HMH weren't so popular. In addition to creating all sorts of problems when it returns to the original, HMH has never sat quite right with me, and it makes me miss the original a lot.
    I actually don't know of too many people who are excited that it's there. I think what would be nice instead of a full-fledged takeover is to just dress the mansion up--I love the exterior decor, but the rest is just kind of....er....yeah. A bit much. Just add some nods to the ride, not change it completely
    dreams. come. true.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Well, I'm sure that many here know how I feel on Haunted Mansion Holiday. I quite dislike the overlay. In fact, I began a thread about the overlay last Christmas Eve: Haunted Mansion Holiday: The problem with Jack Skellington

I think that attraction overlays should work seamlessly with the original show. "it's a small world" holiday does this perfectly. However, Jack Skellington completely disrupts the entire show at the Haunted Mansion. The black-lit painted flats; the obnoxious, garish colors; and the loud nature of the attraction is strikingly uncharacteristic of the Haunted Mansion. Haunted Mansion Holiday could work so much better. The key is to have both shows compliement eachother. The Holiday show shouldn't take over with complete disregard to the original Mansion.

| | |

• GastlyGrimm

seriously i honesly dread the holidays with the haunted mansion jack skellington takes the effect away...btw why is it the only huanted mansion merch u can but at disny is like a gameboard shot glass and sno globe??? when they seel ll millions of jack skellington crap...not fair!

• =)

That's really the heart of the matter, isn't it, MasterGracey? It feels too much like a totally different ride that happens to be built in the same space. It's not so much a NBC-themed version of the Haunted Mansion as it is a NBC ride that seasonally evicts the original.

• GastlyGrimm

how come in surrells book it says theres a madam leota gravestone outside the mansion??? like where..i gone all around never seen it!

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by GastlyGrimm View Post
    how come in surrells book it says theres a madam leota gravestone outside the mansion??? like where..i gone all around never seen it!
    It's at WDW.

• Fighter Pilot

you have to go to WDW

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by GastlyGrimm View Post
    The Madame Leota grave marker is located at the Walt Disney World Haunted Mansion, not at Disneyland's.

| | |

Page 7 of 170 FirstFirst ... 45678910173257107 ... LastLast