Page 70 of 170 FirstFirst ... 204560676869707172738095120 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 2545

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

Thread II goes to the dogs....

Here's one for Thread-heads to debate. GRD has argued that the Caretaker's dog and the dog sniffing at the Mummy's coffin are supposed to be two different dogs (see the argument here: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showp...postcount=1212 ). It's true that in Marc Davis's concept art, the dogs are similar but not identical:

But in the finished HM, the two dogs are virtually identical, certainly cast from the same mold:

I always thought that there was a nice little joke here. You see two cowards upon entering the graveyard, the caretaker and his dog, both shaking with fright. Later on you see that only one of them has stuck around, and the dog has summoned up enough courage to investigate a little, as we see him sniffing around the mummy scene. The dog's owner, the caretaker, is conspicuously absent. He got the heck outta there! Joke, see? The man is even more cowardly than his wimpy little pup.

Of course, you could argue that they are two different dogs, as Davis seems to have conceived them (and as GRD argues) and that all we're seeing is a cost-savings by using the same mold twice. I would argue that somewhere along the way they decided to identify the two dogs with each other and create a subtle gag about the caretaker's cowardliness. Even if they used the same mold, after all, they could have made the dogs look a little different cosmetically, but they did not.

So what do you guys think? Are there two dogs or one?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I've always thought of them as 2 different dogs. Then again you see Gus in the graveyard and then hitchhiking 10 feet later.

I'm going with 2 different dogs.

• hatbox ghost believer

I would claim to believe that they were two different dogs, but I like your idea better that the caretaker ran away in fright and the remaining poor canine was still "investigating". He-he! Thanks for those last bits of piccies, as well as that fabulous story about the "brown lady".
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• =)

I'm of the opinion that the two dogs are one and the same. The example of Gus' multiple appearances is particularly pertinent.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

I am OK with the single dog idea. It helps reinforce the HM as a story rather than a random grouping of scenes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I'm of the opinion that the two dogs are one and the same. The example of Gus' multiple appearances is particularly pertinent.
    Even more pertinent is the raven, who shows up numerous times along the way.

There's plenty of time for poochie to make it over to the Mummy scene before you get there, so there's nothing supernatural about it--unlike Gus's ability to flitter about, which comes with being a ghost. (Don't forget that the HHG's flash into your doombuggy too).

I still think that if they had intended them to be seen as two different dogs, they wouldn't have made them absolutely identical in appearance.

(Oh, and thanks for the kind words, Nojarama. BTW, I see several pages back that you repeat Jason Surrell's error in claiming that the HBG was removed before the public ever saw him. Not true! I saw him in the attic August 14, 1969.)

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Facinating argument about the dog. Comparing him to the raven makes the most sense, due to the fact they are both still live beings.

• =)

Even more pertinent is the raven, who shows up numerous times along the way.
    Very true. But not necessarily "due to the fact they are both still live beings", IMO, aashee. The raven's status as a truly living animal is a little debatable, since it was originally going to have a speaking role and it still retains glowing red eyes (or am I fabricating memories?).

"Apparently, the restless spirit of an old nag has taken possession of that poor, wretched raven's mortal being."

That's what the Story and Song album says, anyway. The raven was going to be presented as a possessed animal, like a witch's "familiar." It was still subject to the limits of mortality and could only be in one place at a time.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

But the raven does have red glowing eyes, or am I imagining things??
    dreams. come. true.

Quote Originally Posted by BellhopPrincess View Post
    But the raven does have red glowing eyes, or am I imagining things??
    Yeah, I think it does, but I don't think it means a whole lot. A hint that the critter is possessed, perhaps, or it's just a standard way to make birds look cool. The owls in the graveyard have glowing eyes too.
    Last edited by HBG2; 01-16-2008 at 04:26 PM.

• hatbox ghost believer

Thumbs up Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    (Oh, and thanks for the kind words, Nojarama. BTW, I see several pages back that you repeat Jason Surrell's error in claiming that the HBG was removed before the public ever saw him. Not true! I saw him in the attic August 14, 1969.)
    Thanks for correcting me, as I was only about a year old at the time, I can't say I ever saw my favorite (and most fashionable) ghost in the mansion myself!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama

No problemo.

Here's a little untold tale about that HBG sighting (I was 14).

My most vivid recollection about him was his shaking hand on his cane, like a very old man's. Even then, I figured that they just made the cane vibrate with a motor from below.

When I first discovered HM fan sites on the web in 2002, I emailed Chef Mayhem at DB.com and Chris Foxx at grimghosts.com, describing my memories. (I still have the emails). Before this, there had been no published reports about the little detail of the wobbling cane as far as I know. Now it's spread around and is common knowledge. See, for example, Daveland's nice little flash animation: http://davelandweb.com/hauntedmansion/hbg.html

Well, don't ask me how, cuz I can't tell you, but I now have concrete, irrefutable evidence that the cane was indeed motorized, exactly as I recalled.

• hatbox ghost believer

Thumbs up Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

That totally sounds fabulous! Very cool. When I look at the old illustrations (from the storybook record especially), it totally fits in with his "character". Wobbiling around spookily shifting with the crooked cane, plus the head appearing/disappearing from the hatbox & his neck. Excellent! Did it do that from what you remember? Or was that effect turned off?

I think bring him back for the 40th anniversary is a proper reunion date IMO!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

They could do so much with the Hat Box Ghost that they couldn't do 40 years ago. Now's the times to bring it back and with Constance, they could really make it fit the theme perfectly. I'd like to see Constance interact with him thanking him for the wonderful wedding gift.