Page 75 of 170 FirstFirst ... 2550657273747576777885100125 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2545

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

In case you didn't know, Doombuggies.com is ten years old, and they're doing some special stuff. If you've got an extra 250 bucks laying around, you can get a special collector's watch. But if you don't, you can gawk at the cool artwork...for free. (Notice that they've got an X for the ten, a clever little hat tip to X Atencio.)

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

That is the single coolest watch face design I have ever seen in my life. But I think it's either that or a laptop for my birthday...and I'm gonna go with the obvious choice.
    dreams. come. true.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

That is one cool design HBG. If only they'd make shirts with the design. I'm not a big watch guy.

We all know that Rolly Crump was the weird Imagineer, and Marc Davis was the normal-guy type, right? Of course, all of these guys were much too talented to stay inside the boxes we build for our own convenience. For a genuine slice of what-was-he-smokin' weirdness, it's hard to beat this unused Davis ghost:

(pic by Ste3ve)

A mad bomber with chicken feet??? Hoo-kay...

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    That is one cool design HBG. If only they'd make shirts with the design. I'm not a big watch guy.
    Hey, guess what? http://www.doombuggies.com/collectib...wlingshirt.php

Chicken feet = witch/devil
    according to some legends

• =)

Weird stuff...

Incidentally, I've never been overwhelmingly fond of the truly bizarre, rather disturbing visions produced by some of the Imagineers before the final concept was decided on. The Museum of the Weird and its kin just don't quite rub my fur the right way. It's a little too "out there."

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    Chicken feet = witch/devil
    according to some legends
    Nice catch. You're right.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/devil.asp

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Weird stuff...

Incidentally, I've never been overwhelmingly fond of the truly bizarre, rather disturbing visions produced by some of the Imagineers before the final concept was decided on. The Museum of the Weird and its kin just don't quite rub my fur the right way. It's a little too "out there."
    I love the "out there" stuff, but I think for Disney at that time, it would have been a bit much. It would have been interesting to see the finished product for that though.
    Thinking about it though, I could actually see that as an addition in the future, like in the queue, as a sleazy sideshow that set up camp next to the abandoned mansion. It would have early P.T. Barnum stuff, like the infamous "Fiji mermaid" (though maybe not that specifically, cause that was rather, er, disturbing-looking). I could see a CM or two as the campy and overly-enthusiasic purveyors of this curious lot, maybe even with simple gags like they had in the queue of Knott's Haunted Shack ("A Barrel of Baby Rattlers!" with literal baby rattles in the barrel) to create a funny yet ominous atmosphere. I'm seeing it all like the Magictown carnival from "The Sims: Makin' Magic", if anyone is familiar with that.
    I know, very unlikely to be added, but it really wouldn't be difficult to do if the queue was to be overhauled. Just an idea.
    Last edited by CaitlinMcFly; 01-21-2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: grammar and clarity. always thinking of you guys! ;)
    dreams. come. true.

Quote Originally Posted by BellhopPrincess View Post
    I love the "out there" stuff, but I think for Disney at that time, it would have been a bit much. It would have been interesting to see the finished product for that though.
    Thinking about it though, I could actually see that as an addition in the future, like in the queue, as a sleazy sideshow that set up camp next to the abandoned mansion. It would have early P.T. Barnum stuff, like the infamous "Fiji mermaid" (though maybe not that specifically, cause that was rather, er, disturbing-looking). I could see a CM or two as the campy and overly-enthusiasic purveyors of this curious lot, maybe even with simple gags like they had in the queue of Knott's Haunted Shack ("A Barrel of Baby Rattlers!" with literal baby rattles in the barrel) to create a funny yet ominous atmosphere. I'm seeing it all like the Magictown carnival from "The Sims: Makin' Magic", if anyone is familiar with that.
    I know, very unlikely to be added, but it really wouldn't be difficult to do if the queue was to be overhauled. Just an idea.
    It's hard to judge. On the one hand, as I've said before, to the generation that produced the HM, witches and devils were just so many Halloween decorations. Remember that these guys had Mr. Toad go to Hell--which isn't even in the movie! And remember that Walt was the biggest booster of Rolly's MW, which even has a Baphomet figure in some of the concept art. So it's complex. On the one hand, they were more conservative back then, but on the other hand, they were much more lackadaisical about depicting the darker colors of the occult. It doesn't surprise me that some of the ideas they kicked around seem mighty borderline today.

Speaking of the Haunted Shack at Knott's, I'm going to throw this out there for the heck of it. I very distinctly remember going to the HS at Knott's in the mid-60's, and in one of the rooms for awhile there was a full-color picture on the wall of some kind of hillbilly-ish character, but the weird thing was that it followed you as you moved around. I was totally amazed. One time I lagged behind and went up close enough to see how it worked. Sure enough, it was the now-familiar concave face gimmick. A few years later when the HM opened, I immediately recognized the follow-you busts as exactly the same trick.

Now I've never been able to confirm this. There are some Knott's blogs appearing on the web and I've done some emailing, but without any responses to date. But I'm dead certain of this memory, as certain as I am about some others that have been subsequently confirmed. There are stories out there about how Rolly and Yale came up with this effect, but I don't believe them. I think it was taken directly from Knott's Haunted Shack. I just can't prove it.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'll ask around HBG. I had some family members working there in that time frame. Can't hurt to ask!

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

I wish they hadn't taken out the HS. It was the coolest thing in Knott's, but then of course they sold it to Cedar Fair parks who took out the HS to put in a stupid vertigo-inducing ride and it all went to hell. I know it was a blatant rip-off of the Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz, CA, but it was still cool. At the Mystery Spot, in fact, they talk about how Walter Knott went there when Knott's was just beginning and took notes about construction and such to bulid his own "cheap imitation," as the tour guide so lovingly put it.
    Wow off topic. But I was bitter about them taking it out.
    dreams. come. true.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I wish they hadn't taken out the HS. It was the coolest thing in Knott's, but then of course they sold it to Cedar Fair parks who took out the HS to put in a stupid vertigo-inducing ride and it all went to hell. I know it was a blatant rip-off of the Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz, CA, but it was still cool. At the Mystery Spot, in fact, they talk about how Walter Knott went there when Knott's was just beginning and took notes about construction and such to bulid his own "cheap imitation," as the tour guide so lovingly put it.
    BHP.

If you really miss the Haunted Shack go to Calico Ghost town outside of Barstow. It's the original and pretty intense.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I'll ask around HBG. I had some family members working there in that time frame. Can't hurt to ask!
    Cool. Please do.

Hey, I live in San Jose, so I know about the Mystery Spot. Just over the hill. I love the hokiness of those kind of places. Good old-fashioned fun, and visual gimmicks that still have the power to impress, kinda like the magic tricks Rolly and Yale used to play around with.

• is too darn hot.

That is the single coolest watch face design I have ever seen in my life. But I think it's either that or a laptop for my birthday...and I'm gonna go with the obvious choice.
    The watch, right?

I, too, miss the Haunted Shack. Such a fun and quirky attraction. Knott's has gone downhill recently.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!