Page 81 of 170 FirstFirst ... 3156717879808182838491106131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 2545

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Well, that one's more debatable, I'd say. It's hidden from most guests' eyes, and its humor is not so overt as the pet cemetery we've been talking about.
    It's out of view and so it's an inside joke, yes, but I'm not sure your claim that the humor is more subtle will withstand scrutiny:

(pix by DaddyB)

• =)

It's out of view and so it's an inside joke, yes, but I'm not sure your claim that the humor is more subtle will withstand scrutiny:
    Point taken.

Question Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

this is rather off topic but would anyone have a good Haunted Mansion layout for a myspace profile??, preferably one that doesnt have a stillf photo of a mansion as the backround

pong, I'll leave your request to one of the readers who actually HAS a myspace.

Hey, at DL the Nightmare is over and classic Mansion is back.
    leotas child has a brief report at DB.com: http://p098.ezboard.com/HM-opens-tod...cID=6884.topic

Most interesting is the handsome new design they have added to the three conveyor belts (load, unload, and exit ramp).

(pic by leotas child)

Kind of interesting (to me, anyway), conceptually. Any ride like the HM necessarily has items that break the illusion. Real 19th century manor houses don't have EXIT signs or Omnimovers in them. Until now, the conveyor belts and exit ramp were also in that category, totally modern gizmos that you were just supposed to ignore as part of the "suspension of disbelief." Now, the belts at least look like endlessly creeping carpet runners, making them part of the set of illusions.

If they're going to go that route, they should do something to make the railings of the exit ramp fit in, instead of the huge sheets of modern stainless steel that they are, unaltered as they came from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

If they're going to go that route, they should do something to make the railings of the exit ramp fit in, instead of the huge sheets of modern stainless steel that they are, unaltered as they came from the factory.
    maybe something of an ornate (iron like) rail with a gargoyle in a few places.
    something might blend in a bit more

Quote Originally Posted by pongee View Post
    maybe something of an ornate (iron like) rail with a gargoyle in a few places.
    something might blend in a bit more
    The problem is, it has to be snag-proof. Smooth sheets of stainless steel? That works. Gargoyles? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The problem is, it has to be snag-proof. Smooth sheets of stainless steel? That works. Gargoyles? Not so much.

I was just throwing out ideas, corners and ends where there are usually a knot in themetal or a hard corner. Embed a figure in there or even better a hidden mickey or two.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I visited the Mansion yesterday and I just love how the conveyor belts look now. It was a small but very nice touch, you know? I couldn't keep myself from raving about it. My boyfriend and I were delighted. The Mansion hasn't been forgotten.

• =)

Sounds/looks cool! I'd imagine I'll like it even more in person. Glad to hear the real mansion is back!

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

So was anything else upgraded? Constances projection maybe?

While we're waiting for further reports, let's dig and delve into the depths of HM history once again.

Here are a few more graveyard concept sketches. The first one is from Ken Anderson and shows the influence of the Bald Mountain sequence in Fantasia:

Here's another from Collin Campbell in a similar vein:

Many of you have seen these before in Surrell's book, but wait a sec, have you ever noticed what's going on in the center of the Collins sketch?

Ooooh...grave robbers! It seems that the familiar Hooded Figure can be any of a number of things. It can be a wraith, a ghost, a spirit of someone buried in such a hooded shroud, as in this Claude Coats concept painting:

The Mansion has plenty of those, of course. Or the Hooded Figure can be a monk, or really, anyone else who might wear such a garment, including people who are up to no good, since it acts to disguise the wearer. That's probably why the grave robbers in Collins' sketch are wearing them. (Incidentally, "ghoul," in the strictest and narrowest sense, means "grave robber.")

Grave robbing was a lucrative business in the 18th-19th c. A particularly famous case, in 1820's Edinburgh, involved a couple of grave robbers named Wm Burke and Wm Hare and a certain Dr. Robert Knox, anatomist at a medical school, who purchased the bodies no-questions-asked. Turns out that Burke and Hare began murdering people to keep up with the demand for fresh cadavers. Quite a sensational scandal. The events spawned a Robert Louis Stevenson short story, ("The Body Snatcher") as well as a couple of very highly regarded horror movies (1945 The Body Snatcher, with Boris Karloff; 1959 The Flesh and The Fiends, with Peter Cushing).

Anyway, this little snippet of a Collins Campbell sketch is the only evidence I have seen that they considered bringing this theme into the HM at any point.

I must say... I stumbled upon this thread this morning... took a few breaks to clean house and such... but i just read the ENTIRE thing. Wow. You guys have filled my head with so many fun thoughts and such a yearning to get in my car and drive to Anaheim!!

Thanks you guys

And i KNOW I've had more then one post lol, go fig on that one!

You're welcome LLS. And you know that there's another thread like it preceding this one, right?

Two more goodies.

First, here's a newspaper clipping from Aug 15, 1969. It's a column by Jack Smith describing the sneak preview of the HM (on the 11th) that he attended. It's pretty much a nothing article, but there are a couple of historical tidbits in it.

Okay, now for the other goodie.

I just realized today that the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea movie was made in 1954, and the display of the movie props was there in Tomorrowland from the opening of DL until the "Old Tomorrowland" closed in 1966.

Anyway, a few posts ago I talked about the weird scene Ken Anderson originally planned for his prototype "Ghost House" in 1957-58, which eventually became the HM. It occurs to me now that his octopus pit was probably inspired in part by the creepy giant squid display over at the 20K exhibit in TL. Check it out:

This makes for a shadowy, only-on-the-drawing-board, second example of a connection between 20K Leagues and the HM (the first being the famous pipe organ consul, of course).

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Smith
    It would be easy enough to dismiss these phantoms as fakes. But there are too many things that don't fit that explanation.

1 - The ghosts are transparent;
    Touchdown for Pepper's Ghost!