Page 83 of 170 FirstFirst ... 3358738081828384858693108133 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 2545
  1. #1231

    • A Honorary Autobot
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    564

    Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

    OK, thematic question. In the stretching portrait, we have Constance and George well into their Golden Years, while we're under the presumption that George - according to his haunted wedding portrait - passed while being rather young. Which are we to believe? Did Connie dispatch her final spouse as a senior citizen or shortly after their nuptials?

  2. #1232

    • now that i see you ♥
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,620
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

    Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    She is wearing a wedding ring in only two of the three pictures. Hmmm.

    OK, thematic question. In the stretching portrait, we have Constance and George well into their Golden Years, while we're under the presumption that George - according to his haunted wedding portrait - passed while being rather young. Which are we to believe? Did Connie dispatch her final spouse as a senior citizen or shortly after their nuptials?
    From what we see on the Mansion, we can assume that she killed George--who was obviously on in years when she married him--when she was young. Yet, as you say, this portrait definitely shows her as an older woman atop his tombstone, so therefore she lived a long[er] life.
    I'm about to go a bit supernatural here, so bear with me.
    I have heard it said that at no matter what age you die, you "come back" and can appear as mid-30's, but you can choose whatever form you want. Dying as an old[er] woman, we see her appear as a beautiful young woman in the attic--her choice. Maybe we are seeing George's ghost speaking through the stretching portrait, y'know?
    I doubt that this is what the Imagineers had in mind. But it fills in a thematic gap just right
    dreams. come. true.

  3. #1233

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Online

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,900

    Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

    I could be wrong, but I think George is supposed to be about the same age:



    So she whacked him early on, like all her other hubbies. She herself lived to a ripe old age, as her stretchroom portrait shows. Some people have tried to make a problem out of the fact that the grave looks fresh in the painting, but that just shows a misunderstanding of the normal conventions of portraiture, which often collapse a lifetime of significant events into a single picture.

    Bellhop, get as supernatural as you like...it's a free thread! I like to think that you come back at the age that you were when you left unfinished earthly business, some unsettled karma, some issue--whatever you want to call it--that condemns you to haunt. Since so many hauntings are ghosts seeking revenge for being murdered, the unfinished-business age and the age at death are of course identical, leading to the false assumption that ghosts come back looking like they did when they died. Connie's unfinished business dates from not long after her fifth (or is there a sixth out there, HMMM?) husband got the axe, so she comes back at that age, despite the fact that she lived to a ripe old age.

    That's my theory, anyway.

  4. #1234

    • is too darn hot.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    It's all about the LBC, yo!
    Posts
    14,850

    Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

    Haunted mansion updates: I rode Mansion today and I really really liked the design on the conveyor belts at load and unload, however I wish they would have painted over the faded yellow arrows pointing which direction to go. It kind of takes away. One other change I noticed was the wallpaper eyes in the corridor of doors have been painted with a reflective paint so they stand out from the walls better. My girlfriend doesn't like 'em, but I think they're creepy as hell. The heartbeat is back in the attic, but no heart for Connie. Finally, there is one effect of which I am not sure is new or updated. On the singing busts there is a projection of leaves or cobwebs or some sort of geometric pattern, giving the effect of a shadowy vine or something growing over their pedestals? New or not? Overall I like the minor updates and I like the return of the heartbeat, as little sense as it makes nowadays.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

    On Track for Weight Loss!


  5. #1235

    • The Ghost Relations Dept.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    1,005

    Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    One more random post.

    I wonder if Jason Surrell drew inspiration from the moving busts in Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast for his Leota headstone, just as Rolly drew inspiration from that same film so many years earlier?

    From what I understood, Surrell only penned the epitaph, someone else designed the concept and final tombstone.

  6. #1236

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Online

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,900

    Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

    Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Haunted mansion updates: I rode Mansion today and I really really liked the design on the conveyor belts at load and unload, however I wish they would have painted over the faded yellow arrows pointing which direction to go. It kind of takes away. One other change I noticed was the wallpaper eyes in the corridor of doors have been painted with a reflective paint so they stand out from the walls better. My girlfriend doesn't like 'em, but I think they're creepy as hell. The heartbeat is back in the attic, but no heart for Connie. Finally, there is one effect of which I am not sure is new or updated. On the singing busts there is a projection of leaves or cobwebs or some sort of geometric pattern, giving the effect of a shadowy vine or something growing over their pedestals? New or not? Overall I like the minor updates and I like the return of the heartbeat, as little sense as it makes nowadays.
    Heartbeat is back. That's good. Thanks for the update, BB. I'd like to see a pic of that new (?) feature on the busts.

  7. #1237

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

    The heartbeats return! That's cool; I'll look forward to hearing them again, though it's a pity Connie isn't featuring a heart to correspond with them. And a new effect on the singing busts...hmmmm. I'll reserve judgment on that until I see it. It sounds potentially cool, but only if it's convincing.


  8. #1238

    • A Honorary Autobot
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    564

    Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think George is supposed to be about the same age:



    So she whacked him early on, like all her other hubbies. She herself lived to a ripe old age, as her stretchroom portrait shows. Some people have tried to make a problem out of the fact that the grave looks fresh in the painting, but that just shows a misunderstanding of the normal conventions of portraiture, which often collapse a lifetime of significant events into a single picture.

    Bellhop, get as supernatural as you like...it's a free thread! I like to think that you come back at the age that you were when you left unfinished earthly business, some unsettled karma, some issue--whatever you want to call it--that condemns you to haunt. Since so many hauntings are ghosts seeking revenge for being murdered, the unfinished-business age and the age at death are of course identical, leading to the false assumption that ghosts come back looking like they did when they died. Connie's unfinished business dates from not long after her fifth (or is there a sixth out there, HMMM?) husband got the axe, so she comes back at that age, despite the fact that she lived to a ripe old age.

    That's my theory, anyway.
    Wow, all good theories...I guess I'm a hopeless romantic (in a horrifically morbid way).

    By looking at the comparative pictures that HBG2 posted, I strongly believe that there is a distinct young George/old George gap between the two. That being said, I extrapolated (as we all have), that Connie actually tried to make this one last despite her evil nature.

    I think that her stretching portrait helps convey a slight bit of remorse - though unashamed - that her George (the only one she cared for enough for to keep around a while longer) is no longer around. She might actually miss this one...

    It's like the "reformed" repeat offender who struggles to satiate their tendencies until the temptation is just too overwhelming for them to stand any longer.

    Having "whacked" four spouses before, actually living with George for as long as she did was quite the feat until pushed to whatever limit her psyche predesignated, which triggered her ax-reflex.

    George, I believe, actually grew old with Connie, grew to genuinely love her, and will re-materialize - soon enough - as her eternally longing suitor...haunting his lover for the rest of existence.

  9. #1239

    • The Ghost Relations Dept.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    1,005

    Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

    Another possible option would be that the bust is just an artist representation and was actually supposed to be the younger George. Who knows... maybe George lived at home with his parents at the Mansion for a while and she couldn't get the house until it was passed down to him.

  10. #1240

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Online

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,900

    Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

    I still lean heavily on the storyline which is still posted at Julia Lee's official website:




    GRD and I have a difference of opinion on this. He doesn't put much weight on it, but I think Julia must have gotten this from Disney, or at least got their approval for it. So I take it as at least semi-official.

  11. #1241

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Online

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,900

    Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

    Speaking of the heartbeat being back, I've said before that the heartbeat was the one remaining item from the original attic, but technically, that's not true. Some of the random junk in the attic has probably been there since day one. One favorite of mine is that birdcage, which I think has always been there, and can even be seen in early concept art.




  12. #1242

    • The Ghost Relations Dept.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    1,005

    Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

    I don't put too much thought into Julia Lee's account not because I find her to be in-credible, but more that, there is more than one person working on a single project at WDI at any given time. I doubt that Disney would allow her to post something like this in the fact that its too specific. The idea behind Constance is to let you figure out if she owns the mansion, or if shes just another ghost with her items there. I guess its really dependant on who Julia Lee talked to at WDI and how she translated it. I'd definately love to interview her for my blog though.

  13. #1243

    • now that i see you ♥
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,620
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

    I noticed something today. There is a blast up in the graveyard scene, coming up from the tomb with the arm coming out (with the champagne glass). I first noticed the guide wires, which was odd to notice first, but then my buggy turned and I heard a whoosh of air from where I had been looking. Later I got stopped right there and I was able to see it pop up in all its glory. It was a beautiful thing, lol

    Finding a story to something like Connie is just so hard if we don't know all the facts of what was past--for sure, not just speculatory--and what will come--HBG-wise, I mean. WeWantstheRed'ead told me the other day that my attic bride character in my story, which I just picked up the pen for again recently, should be more Constance and less Beating Heart Bride. I am now torn about something in the ending of it all now.
    dreams. come. true.

  14. #1244

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Online

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,900

    Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

    Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    I'd definately love to interview her for my blog though.
    That would be a great catch. So far she's been silent as the grave, compared to Kat, and there are some ambiguities she could (maybe) clarify. Oh, and if you get to do it in person, make sure you get LOTS of pictures, heh heh.

    Reports posted on the new Micechat HM thread and on the DB boards suggest that the Connie projection is much improved now. Nothing so far indicates that the altered footage, highlighting the jewelry, is now in use. Actually, I wouldn't mind if slight differences were left in place between the versions. Makes it more interesting overall, and gives each Mansion its own personality, y'know?

    One effect that seems to have simply fallen through the cracks (or out of the spotlight, perhaps I should say) is the Face effect in the Sťance Room. There was a lot of discussion about it when it was new, and it was finally determined that three or four faces were rotating. But virtually all the photos I've seen for a long time have the "winking ghoul" face. To you Southern Cal thread-heads who visit DL frequently: Are the "leering skull" and "hatchet man" faces still appearing (and/or others)?

  15. #1245

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Online

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,900

    Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

    Quote Originally Posted by BellhopPrincess View Post
    I noticed something today. There is a blast up in the graveyard scene, coming up from the tomb with the arm coming out (with the champagne glass). I first noticed the guide wires, which was odd to notice first, but then my buggy turned and I heard a whoosh of air from where I had been looking. Later I got stopped right there and I was able to see it pop up in all its glory. It was a beautiful thing, lol

    Finding a story to something like Connie is just so hard if we don't know all the facts of what was past--for sure, not just speculatory--and what will come--HBG-wise, I mean. WeWantstheRed'ead told me the other day that my attic bride character in my story, which I just picked up the pen for again recently, should be more Constance and less Beating Heart Bride. I am now torn about something in the ending of it all now.
    It's your story, Bellhop, write it the way you like.

    As for that blast-up, since that one you mention is the last remaining one in the Disney universe, I'm glad to hear it's still there.
    Last edited by HBG2; 01-27-2008 at 09:19 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5
    By CaitlinMcFly in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2077
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 02:45 AM
  2. Replies: 2011
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
  3. Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?
    By HBG2 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2021
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 11:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •