Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disneyland Bound

Jedi Training Academy

I tried a search, but didn't find what I was looking for. Could someone please tell me a bit about the Jedi Training Academy?

We'll be there at the end of October, on a Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. My 8 year old son is obsessed with Star Wars and desperately wants to fight Darth Vader or some other bad guy. He already possesses some incredible ninja-like moves with the light sabers he has at home, so if he's "on" at DL, he'd be a hoot to watch! We read a teeny bit about it, but nothing very specific, such as, can any child do it or do they select random kids? Do they do this several times a day at specific times, or just occasionally? What is all involved for the kids? My son is autistic, but very high functioning, very friendly and has been in several school plays (including a Star Wars play) so is reasonably familiar with stages/audiences. He does get frustrated easily and occasionally struggles with language, but usually a repeat of instructions (if it seems he's ignoring or oblivious) remedies the situation. Whenever I mention Disneyland, he starts talking about defeating Darth Vader or (whoever the evil red guy is, can't think at the moment).

I want to prepare him as much as possible and for as long as possible about what he can or can't expect with it. Thanks!

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Re: Jedi Training Academy

Currently, correct me if I'm wrong, some of the selectees are picked by the Year of a Million Dreams promotion.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

I should say...I don't have anything nice to say so I won't say anything at all...but...we left Jedi Training Academy with very disappointed children every day of our trip. There is no rhyme or reason to how they pick the children. My best suggestion is to prepare your 8 year old to jump up and down for the 5+ minutes it takes to choose the 20 Padawans. This is by no means a guarantee of how to get picked, but it does help. Eye contact is also important. I suggest bringing your own light saber or purchasing one at the park and having it ready for your child if they are not chosen. That way, they can do the moves off to the side or more importantly back in the hotel room while standing on the bed! It is an amazing show but one that is hard for Jedi Junkies to deal with if they are not chosen.

May the Force be with you.

I don't think the main Disneyland website posts event schedules this far in advance, but according to them, Jedi Training Academy is currently happening six times a day, and kids 4-12 are chosen at random from the audience. Eight seems like it's just about target age, so that shouldn't be a problem. But I would make sure your son understands that he may not get picked - it's popular and there are a lot of kids there.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• Minion

We went on July 16 and had 3 young boys (ages 7-11) and all 3 were picked. This is not done as part of YOAMD. You can line up about 10 minutes before the show. Wearing Star Wars clothing and jumping up and down and acting excited help. There were about 60-80 kids and 20 are selected. The instructions are clear and should be easy to follow. The movements are very simple. The boys we had involved are competitive in karate and the movements were actually too simple for them, as they are used to using staffs. After learning the choreographed fight routine, the "bad guys" arrive to draw the new Padawans to the dark side, and they each get to do the choreographed routine with either Darth Vader or Darth Maul. At the end, they get a certificate that they have passed the academy. It is a lot of fun to watch. Its really fun to watch some of the young kids (one we watched was probably 4, and they helped him a lot.)
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• A Pirate's life for me!

My son wore his Yoda t-shirt to the Park with the intention of getting picked for the Jedi Training.

He did...

Certainly no guarantee, but don't pass up on an FBI clue like this without thinking about it.

Good luck!

• Pirate love

They either get to fight Darth Vader or Darth Maul. Each child recieves a robe and a 'lightsaber' to fight with and the instructors and vilians go slow in the 'fight and each instruction is given before hand. The Padawans are chosen at random by two of the older 'padawans' the Jedi Knight and his apprentace and are chosen from the stage area below the food area. Its a good idea to get there rather eairly, because of its popularity it fills up fast. The run at regular intervals like every hour or something starting at either 10 or 11 am and run till aroud 5:30.It shoudl be listed on the time sheet that is available when you enter the gate right next to the maps or sometimes the maintance crew has them (the ones all in white) I haven't seen them but I think that Darth Maul comes out at times in between.

Hope that helps.

• Disneyland Bound

I appreciate all the info- thanks!

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

The selection process is random. I suggest either picking up a show schedule or stop by the Tomorrowland Terrace Stage and take a look at the show times and arrive early and sit in the front row to get picked easier.

Remember: there is more then one show during the day so you can come back anytime throughout to get picked.

• To infinity & beyond!!

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    My son wore his Yoda t-shirt to the Park with the intention of getting picked for the Jedi Training.

He did...

Certainly no guarantee, but don't pass up on an FBI clue like this without thinking about it.

Good luck!
    I agree, Ive seen Jedi Training Academy quite a few times and the kids wearing the Star Wars stuff seem to get picked a little easier, and getting there 10-15 minutes early helps too.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Last week, the Jedi Training Academy ran 6 times during the day: 10:30am, 11:35am, 12:40pm, 2:25pm, 3:30pm and 4:35pm. If you're there in late October, the times and frequency will probably change, but this should give you some idea about the schedule. And here are a couple of older threads that will give you more background reading as well as some cool photos.

Jedi Training Academy
    Frogberto's Jedi Training Academy Photos

Note: I think I witnessed an anomaly last Saturday. The 3:30pm show had a distinct lack of enthusiastic volunteers. If you had a kid who wanted to participate, they didn't have to try very hard to get picked. In fact, I was worried they wouldn't get enough volunteers to go through training.

This was an early clue:

This picture was taken at 3:23pm, just minutes before the 3:30pm show. Normally, there are several kids (and parents) camped out behind the safety rope and stanchions by now.

A crowd finally gathers, but as you can see...there are no kids standing up or jumping up and down to volunteer. Just looking at this picture, you would think the show hadn't started yet, but this was taken while the Jedi Master was choosing volunteers for training. I was so surprised, I had to take a picture as evidence.

I think this was an unusual case and would definitely get your kids ready to jump and down and yell to get noticed. A lot of kids are shy in public, so make sure to tell them it's okay to scream and jump and everything.
    Last edited by Armadillo4; 07-28-2007 at 08:07 AM.

• Disneyland Bound

Thanks for the links, Armadillo4. I swear I didn't see those when I did my search! I must not have gone back far enough.

So I need to make my boy stand out. In a good way... Jumping up and down will be no problem for him, he's quite hyper. Preparing him to deal if he doesn't get picked will be the hard part.

• Disneyland Addict

My kids had to sit through the show 4 times on our trip in june before they got picked. The kids with a star wars shirt got picked early on in the process. One little boy had on a Darth Vader shirt and the CM said "Is that Darth Vader? We will have to see if we can change your allegiance on that." It was cute. I've also seen kids in full costume and they got picked. On our Fourth show when it was looking like my son wouldn't be picked I held up my hand over him with 4 fingers and said "4th show, please" right when the jedi cm was looking at us. Good luck, just warn him he might not get picked. If you feel he fit of not getting picked would be worse than the joy of being picked than skip it. just decide ahead of time how much it is worth to you and how many shows you are willing to sit through for him to be picked. Also, they teach the kids a set of move to do in a certain order. He can't just go ninja on Darth Vader or Darth Maul. By the way, Darth Maul is a little scary, my nine year old was a little nervous about him and the 6 year old was freaked by him. But by the 4th show they knew what to e3xpect and were ok with it all.

• Disneyland Bound

Hee hee, I just might have to warn him about free form ninja moves on Darth, ha ha ha! I can see poor Darth now!

Thanks so much for the info.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

My DS11 got picked for the JTA on our trip in late June.

My DS11 and I wandered by there for a JTA show at around 12 Noon. He tried to get picked but did not. We went back to the hotel for a swim and nap, and came back later in the afternoon. We changed him into a bright red shirt, and took the three older brothers with us. When the JTA started the selection, I lifted DS11 up and bounced him, he waved his arms, and the three brothers pointed at him enthusiastically. He was the second or third one picked.

You improve your chances if you can make him or her stand out. And be prepared to go back for a second or third try. Good luck.

FWIW, here is the Jedi Master giving instructions. My young Padowan is at upper right next to the Master.

Last edited by HydroGuy; 07-28-2007 at 10:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast