Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

The Disney Gallery tour

I walked into a free tour there yesterday afternoon. CM Debbie whose been there since it's opening in 1987 conducted it in a very friendly, low-key manner for 11 of us. Having been in there countless times over the years it was a really fresh new way to appreciate this special space. Along w/ information about the current displays we went through the key card pass door overlooking the courtyard between Le Bat en Rouge and Pieces of Eight
    to see the Club 33 kitchen exteriors and the walls and windows that had been added and why before and since Walt's passing.
    We all also crowded into the very small office space that was originally designed as the Grandchildren's room, very cute smaller door frame and a wonderful framed photo of Mr. & Mrs. Disney posing on Main Street. Debbie noted that Mrs. Disney was evidently not very comfortable being photographed and her expression does slightly bare this out. According to her the Tony Baxter redesign of the POTC entrance gave the Gallery it's wonderful staircase and forced perspective touches in design, notably in the watch-your-next-step window in the small office space!
    We also had 3 hidden Mickey shapes pointed out to us in the detail of one of the fireplaces (a souvenir from one of Walt's trips), numerous sliding doors and the wet bar/mini-kitchen area (pretty modern for the mid-60's!) that is now the cashier area.
    The other cool thing to have pointed out were the numerous light sockets in the Gallery room on the left side as you enter from the courtyard. This was the Disney's master bedroom where Walt liked to do alot of reading, and Mrs. Disney liked to redecorate - frequently - thus moving lamps, etc. alot!
    Obviously, this was a genuine treat filled w/ alot of other nice touches and something to hopefully make time for on your next visit to the park.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Re: The Disney Gallery tour

very cool! do you know what times they usually do this?
    <o>

• Minion

Interesting...hopefully I will catch a tour on my next trip on 7/10

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

no, it's was just a happy accident on my part, and I didn't think to ask about it's frequency or availability among my other questions during the tour. It was at approx. 3:30 yesterday though and lasted about 20 minutes, Debbie rocks!

• Hooterville, USA

That little room you wrote about, was that where the printers are?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• All you need is LOVE

I wonder if i can get in the Gallery now with wheelchair any one know?

• Hooterville, USA

On Walt's footsteps tour, they brought a stroller up an elevator to the gallery.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

yes CL. there is an elevator up to the 2nd floor. i believe you go through the club 33 kitchen (or something like that).
    <o>

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks I must go nowI thought they did not have one thanks

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    no, it's was just a happy accident on my part, and I didn't think to ask about it's frequency or availability among my other questions during the tour. It was at approx. 3:30 yesterday though and lasted about 20 minutes, Debbie rocks!
    It sounds like you caught the end of Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. I know when we did the tour, several people in the Gallery joined in briefly while they were showing us the "bedrooms".
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)

The tour sounds cool. One of those little things that make Disneyland so special.

BTW, what's in The Gallery now? I've heard a lot about the Opera House display, but is there anything special in The Gallery for the 50th?
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

No, this is a free tour. You can walk into the gallery and ask any CM for a tour of "walt's apartment" or a tour of "the gallery" and they should know what you mean.

I've done this twice - once with a friend of my brother's who worked at Disneyland one summer and he asked a CM if they could give us a tour. And then I took some friends on a tour on another trip.

It's the only free tour at Disneyland and its a really neat, fun tour. The CMs will do it for any size group, so next time you're up there just ask!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

I was told that the apartment over POTC was finished after Walt's deth, and he never used it. It was turned into the gallery for lack of use.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by tulkas
    I was told that the apartment over POTC was finished after Walt's deth, and he never used it. It was turned into the gallery for lack of use.

That's true that Walt never got to use the apartment. However, it was still an apartment designed by and for him, even if he never got the chance to use it.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

Smile Re: The Disney Gallery tour

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Legs
    Thanks I must go nowI thought they did not have one thanks
    Yes there is one. My daughter used it to get to the gallery. You have to get a cast member to help you. There is an elevator down in New Orleans Square that is hidden by a door. The cast member lets you in and rides up with you to a kitchen that is used for Club 33 and Blue Bayou. You have to squeeze your chair through some tight spots...but it can fit. It's kind of a behind the scenes thing that not everyone gets to see!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast