Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: What're your backstage and house lights pics?

Seriously, some of you people are crotchety old baboons. If you don't want to see the pics then don't come into the thread about them. Some of you people take this stuff way too seriously. If Disney was so adamant about pictures of the park then there wouldn't be any on the internet.

If anyone here wants their pics posted but are afraid or whatever, pm me and I'll give you my email address and I'll post them.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    And in a lot of way's Disney's view of backstage itself has somewhat changed. Whereas before it was off limits to almost everyone, now every single guest gets a glimpse of it from the parking structure.
    Wow, MrLiver! You and I finally agree on something! Not only can you see the backstage from the structure, you can see the portion between Indy and POTC, and where the GC diorama is from the monorail and also several other portions from the train. Also you can see a somewhat blurred version of DCA's backstage from the Timon tram if the sun is at the correct angle. And you can see quite a bit of DCA's backstage from the monorail too.

If Disney is so sacrosanct about their backstage areas then they shouldn't allow such blatant glimpses into the backstage areas that they are so guarded against being violated.

• Closed Account

Disney's views of backstage were probably more relaxed in the 1950s.

Here, for example, is a photograph taken at the old roundhouse, snapped by an official photographer of the Santa Fe Railway:

I hope seeing those rooftop vents doesn't "ruin the magic" for some of you.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Whoever took those pictures of The Haunted Mansion agreed, either explicitly or implicitly, not to do so, so MiceChat should not be encouraging these things. Additionally, there are underlying copyrights that Disney owns and that prevent those pictures from being published without the consent of The Walt Disney Company.
    OMG! You mean to tell me those aren't real ghosts you see in the mirror?

•   
    • Senior Minion

This is ridiculous. Disney doesn't give a rats behind if these pics are posted here. Lighten up folks.

• Minion

Back in high school, our marching band marched in a parade at Disneyland. While waiting to enter the park for the parade, we were in the staging area with all the other characters. It was a really hot day, and everyone was sweating like crazy. I remember seeing Cinderella or one of the other princesses sitting on the side of the road, her hoop skirt was wide open, pantalones were keeping her privates private, and she was smoking a cigarette. I wish I had a camera then... it was absolutely priceless.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Last edited by NeverNeverland; 07-30-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Hotlinked pictures Removed. Hotlinking is not allowed.

• =)

Revealing the mechanics of these illusions is just not respectful to the artists who created the attraction.
    This is not a magic act where a professional's income is dependent on people not knowing how the tricks are done. How many people would decide not to go to Disneyland because they realized that the singing busts use video projections, or because they spotted a glimpse of an attraction building, or because they realized Minnie Mouse was actually a man? Okay, the last one's a little creepy, yeah...but still.

I don't think the Imagineers would have been disappointed that we've figured out their secrets. In fact, I think they'd feel honored that we care so much. I'm not trying to say that people who don't want to see behind-the-scenes stuff don't care about the rides--far from it! They're just two different ways of appreciating and enjoying the park, and to be perfectly frank, I'm sick to death of us all arguing about it.

• Jungle Skip

First and foremost, wow....

As a former CM, I know that it sounds stupid, but posting pictures of this nature could be considered corporate espionage (like I said, kinda dumb).

As to whether or not you could get in trouble for posting pics?

Depends on the source of pic. Say you were on a walkthru (as a CM) and you posted a picture that you normally wouldn't be able to take as a guest, you can and will be disciplined according to guidelines of the company. However, say you were being evacuated from an attraction and you happen to snap off some pics? Well, then that's another thing.

Pics that you post from another site are property of said site. Whether or not they have the copyright agreement to do so is their business. So, unless you've got rights to those pics, try not to post em.

As to the evac videos posted on youtube, I don't know if you kids are aware of this, but the company has individuals that surf the web to search for material of questionable nature. I've known CMs to get fired over backstage pics posted on Myspace, videos of Jungle skips and non-scripted jokes, and stupid pranks we pull on each other for which there is video/photo proof.

So, post away, but be very aware that the company monitors these kinds of things.

P.S. In regards to this:

I don't think the Imagineers would have been disappointed that we've figured out their secrets. In fact, I think they'd feel honored that we care so much.
    Acutally, they do care. A lot. The company is extremely secretive of this stuff. WDI, while they enjoy speaking about their craft with those that are passionate, WILL NOT DIVULGE company secrets. And so, in that regards, they are like magicians. Unless you work the attraction or work for a TV show where they can edit and control the content of what is disseminated, they won't tell you how it was done.
    Last edited by Ironchefspam; 07-30-2007 at 12:47 PM.
    Way to Fail Skip!

"ADOS - Attention Deficit OOOH SHINY!" - Audra

"I will punch you in the Ovaries!" - JM

"Got Gas?" - SN

"C-12 I sink Battleship. YAY!" - Ninja

"Do you have crabs?" - DW

"What's in this alcohol?" - Anonymous

"Oy! You know we're going at the rocks, right?" - SN
    "SHUT UP! ASIAN DRIVER!" - GY

"Why is the water warm?" - SN
    "SORRY!" - AP

• Minion

Blog Entries

• Knows Where His Towel Is

While I personally feel that posting backstage pics is wrong-the CMs say it every time at a backstage tour-it does not merit this big of an argument. If you want to see them, go to a site that has them.

MiceChat should be devoted to the magic of Disney, not the underwear of it.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• =)

Meh, I'm done with this thread. To the OP, I can only say I'm sorry that this thread hasn't yielded much more than a lot of arguing. It's funny how a discussion like The Thread can go on for 2000+ posts without a hint of bickering, revealing far more backstage secrets than this thread ever will.

See ya.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I'd just like to say something, again, as have others: If you do not want to see these pictures and/or videos, do not look in this thread! Simple as that. Please let those of us who enjoy this, to enjoy seeing the mechanics and inner workings of the attractions. Yeah, we get what all of you who are opposed are saying, but I, for one, agree with what has been said before: that there are those of us who enjoy the engineering aspect of Disneyland, and enjoy learning as much as possible about Disneyland, which only adds to our love of the park. So, please, if you are opposed to this topic/thread, don't involve yourself in it.

Thank you, and have a magical day.

(I don't want to seem like a jerk, but this point just doesn't seem to be getting across, so I thought something a little more forceful was needed.)

• Banned User

Agreed. I say either send this to kitty litter or close it.

• Hopping DLR for 40 Years

Red Face If I may add a comment....

During my first 30 years at Disneyland (E Tickets and all), I occasionally "accidentally" wandered through a backstage door. Lo and behold - nobody noticed. Until that one time.... But that once was embarrasing, ended up with me being not welcome for some time, and, since I was nearly creamed by a very large forklift, made me understand the wisdom of No Guests Backstage - EVER!

For the next ten years, I have been a vendor and consultant to Disney, and have had the free run of the place - anywhere, anytime. Midnight to midnight, DLR, DCA, WDW, wherever.

Theme parks are just grand industrial enterprises, and they are very, very dangerous and scary places. It is ASSUMED that if you are backstage, you know what you are doing, your head and eyes are on a constant 3D swivel, and you will not get killed, nor will you cause death or injury to those around you. Yeah, I've got pictures of my personal cars in the Hub, in front of the Castle at dawn. Yeah, I've got pictures of me in the "bowels" of Disneyland and Walt Disney World. So what?

Do you REALLY want to see the slightly worn-out pneumatic actuators moving the eyeballs of a piebald moose? No - you want to see the moose's yes move, wonder "how did they DO that?", and go on to the next piece of Magic.

Even with 24/7/365 access backstage, I still pay for my Premium AP, just to experience the absolute thrill of walking through the entrance tunnel, eyes wide, seeing Disneyland as Walt saw it in his mind. Magic is too tame a word.

Ah, yeah - do you REALLY want to get anywhere near a 13,000 volt substation hidden beneath a ride, just because you can? I hope not - people smell funny when they cook...

Regards;

KotF

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast