Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why a 3rd Gate?

• "I Break Things"

Why a 3rd Gate?

There seems to be a lot of chatter on here recently about a 3rd gate. While I agree it will probably eventually happen, what's the rush. I think Disney has enough on their plate fixing DCA without planning, financing, contructing, and eventually opening a 3rd gate. I would rather have 1 well themed completed park then 2 half A$$ed ones. Just my thought. I also imagine they will have to adjust their current parking configuration and possibly add more spots. But I really do not know what the capacity currently is, how big this proposed 3rd gate will be, or how popular it will be. If it is anything like DCA then we would only need 1 or 2 more spots!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

Re: Why a 3rd Gate?

why bitch about it? they already have plans for DCA there waiting for summer to end. They also learned from their mistakes so this 3rd gate wont be as crappy as 2001 DCA.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    why bitch about it? they already have plans for DCA there waiting for summer to end. They also learned from their mistakes so this 3rd gate wont be as crappy as 2001 DCA.
    Not a complaint, merely a statement. I wish they would finish one, and get that working great, before they walk down that long dark road again. I have no doubt the next park will be better. I think the company as a whole learned from the mistakes made with the DCA Project, and the costs that are mounting as they attempt to fix them. Like I said, why build a new park when the other one is still in need of help?

• Minion

but i dont understand your problem, theres plans for DCA to possibly become the second greatest 2nd gate disney park.

there not already starting to build the 3rd, im sure ideas are being thrown around, but its not a priority as of now, they still have to build a couple hotels too.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The issue of the third gate has much more to do with the zoning issue regarding land in what is currently the Anaheim Resort District. Disney doesn't want any of the Resort District to become housing, so they are slightly hinting at what the future of the Disneyland Resort holds.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

You're of the opinion that Disneyland has been half-assed? I mean, it's not perfect, and there are definitely areas that need improvement, but you really think it's as bad as DCA?

DCA is now going to be getting a huge fixup, and once DCA is fixed, I don't see why a 3rd gate should be considered after all of that is done.

But there should definitely be things placed as a priority to a 3rd gate; IMO, Tommorowland, Frontierland, and Toontown (tear down the sign and leave it as a part of Fantasyland, and then expand Fantasyland). I don't think everything has to be perfect before a 3rd gate is built, but if Disney wants to use up their real estate properly, they need to re-examine what they've done with certain areas and bring in fresh and quality life into them.

• Animatronic

You seem to assume that Disney does not have, and can't hire, the creative people needed to work on more than one thing at a time. Maybe a kick *** $10 billion 3rd gate would get the DCA and Disneyland teams moving. A little competition never hurt anyone.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

...and in some cases, competition hurts many. I don't think that Disney will be willing to take that chance.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• FastPass n00b

1 gate at Disneyland, 2 gates at DCA...thank goodness Disney already has their 3rd gate, otherwise we'd be facing an overpacked resort with 3 parks and no room to build them. Anaheim is not Orlando and Disneyland will never be a resort the way Disney wants it to be. It will always be Disneyland with 2 other parks. They need to get over this "resort" mentality or at least shift it back to Orlando where it belongs. I mean, goodness gracious, they can't even keep up the parks they already have out there.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Not a complaint, merely a statement. I wish they would finish one, and get that working great, before they walk down that long dark road again. I have no doubt the next park will be better. I think the company as a whole learned from the mistakes made with the DCA Project, and the costs that are mounting as they attempt to fix them. Like I said, why build a new park when the other one is still in need of help?
    They need to have multiple projects going on. They can't fix one thing then go to the next, because the thing that they fixed will quickly deteriorate while they are concentrating on their next project.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    You're of the opinion that Disneyland has been half-assed? I mean, it's not perfect, and there are definitely areas that need improvement, but you really think it's as bad as DCA?

DCA is now going to be getting a huge fixup, and once DCA is fixed, I don't see why a 3rd gate should be considered after all of that is done.

But there should definitely be things placed as a priority to a 3rd gate; IMO, Tommorowland, Frontierland, and Toontown (tear down the sign and leave it as a part of Fantasyland, and then expand Fantasyland). I don't think everything has to be perfect before a 3rd gate is built, but if Disney wants to use up their real estate properly, they need to re-examine what they've done with certain areas and bring in fresh and quality life into them.
    Disneyland has a slight real estate problem but that is mainly rides that were closed and never replaced, your standard wasted space issues. DCA is much worse, and that was where the half comment came from. The fact that had it been built correctly the first time it wouldn't cost over 1 billion to "update" it! As I said I think EVERYONE has learned from the mistakes of DCA, however we also said something similar when they were building DCA (I'm sure they learned from the TL 98 referb!) so not 100% they learned but hope they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    You seem to assume that Disney does not have, and can't hire, the creative people needed to work on more than one thing at a time. Maybe a kick *** $10 billion 3rd gate would get the DCA and Disneyland teams moving. A little competition never hurt anyone.
    I know they can hire the creative people, I wonder if they can hire the normal people to work a 3rd gate when they can't hire enough currently to staff what they have!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    They need to have multiple projects going on. They can't fix one thing then go to the next, because the thing that they fixed will quickly deteriorate while they are concentrating on their next project.
    Considering the severe challenge they have at hand, IMO they have plenty to deal with "updating" DCA to last them... I know they will have multiple things going on, I just think the priority and focus should be what they have built... not build something else.

• Minion

just how far in the future is this 3rd gate going to be a reality?i dont think theres to much of a worry about it to tell the truth...i can understand them fixing dca as a priority and as most of the projects start winding down ,take a few people here and there and brainstorm, un less the third gate is already on the drawing board..and they are fixing dca with the third gate in mind.

First of all disney is not rushing into building a third gate. Originally the third gate would have been opening already.

Secondly the third gate is in blue sky concpet at the moment, before the third gate is built a parking structure needs to be built.

Third, Disney needs to do something about its excess cash flow it is holding right now or wallstreet will start questioning the reasons for the money to sit there without being imvested. That is one of the reasons that they are pushing hard in expanding DTD, DCA and the Disneyland resort hotels.

and last do not expect a third gate to be announced till after 2012. That is still a minimum of five years from now and and then it would take at least two years to build. By this time DCA would have received a major investment that would include 5 major attractions several smaller attractions and a huge facelift.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

The big thing that has to be considered NOW is the zoning and the "third gate" effects on the surrounding area - which is why they pushed for the "Resort District" zoning to exclude residential.

Disney knows if they allow residential developments to pop up around the TG site then they start building, these neighbors can complain about the noise and other impacts even though they knew fully when they bought or moved in that there were plans for the site, they can still force changes or even derail the whole project.

Note the "scream guards" they had to put around California Screamin' and the Maliboomer to direct the noise away and placate the neighbors - and that was only neighbors at motels, not permanent residences.

And that's why Disney can NOT allow that Resort Area zoning they carefully got assigned to get thrown out the window, and put a residential development to the northeast of the TG site, south side of Katella near the freeway.

Because these people get their property values boosted by building condos in close proximity to Disneyland, then they get a say on what goes on that lot next door - or they have to be paid a handsome ransom to not have a say.

Disney doesn't want to own the world's most expensive land that can only be used for growing strawberries in perpetuity. Sure there is a lot of money in strawberries, but still...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Pirate - G'har!

I think alot of folks are being very presumptious with 'When DCA gets fixed'. The fixing plan might turn out to make DCA even more of a mess (I certainly think cramming the place with Pixar will do nothing). I thought 'A Bug's Land' was bad enough as it had nothing to do with the original theme it was just a land about bugs. But anyhoo, TG. I agree with Athlonacon in the sense that DL is never gonna be a sprawling resort complex, there just isn't the space like there is in say, Paris or Orlando. It's a shame in a way, but I guess it might destroy the intimacy and charm of Disneyland

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast