Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: I have no desire to see Golden Dreams at DCA

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    See it because you are a citizen of the great State of California.

Signed, Gov. Schwarzeneggar
    Sorry, DIP. Not convincing enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDarian View Post
    They should replace Golden Showers with a tribute to Walt or something. Anything!!!

• Minion

its inspiring for about 2 minutes before you walk over to screamin.

the end montage is SO long, i was about to burst out of the theater but i was entertained when whoopie joined all the hippies and miners and stuff.

It's not the best film, but I enjoy it a lot and will watch it once every 6 mos or so. I always end up crying at the end during Just one Dream.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Iron-Clad Allie

Lots of people call it Golden Showers. It's essentially a shrine and a salute to Cesar Chavez and his promotion of illegal aliens to do farm work - as he thought that American citizens don't like to do hard work. Hard core liberals love it. The rest of us are either offended, or else find it to be just one big yawn.

Even Whoopie got bored with the attraction, and became a part of the tram tour over at Universal Studios, Hollywood.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-30-2007 at 11:16 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Senior Minion

I recently saw this film, and have to say that I like it quite a bit myself. I don't go see it every time I'm in DCA, but it is entertaining for me. Certainly there are inaccuracies, but if you are the curious sort you'll delve into California history and sort it out for yourself.

The part I like the most is where they re-enact that day with Mr. Mulholland. I'm a big fan of the water system in California and have studied it pretty closely - so it sent chills down my spine to see that bit in the film and imagine what that day must have been like.

Another aspect that I like is that it shows how all the races that came here to California contributed to what is now deemed as the Golden State. Plus, it helps that I really love California ... and Los Angeles.

• Closed Account

Hey, it's got a train in it. It's not all bad!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Hey, it's got a train in it. It's not all bad!
    Heimlich's Chew Chew Train is much more fun - and it smells better too.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Lots of people call it Golden Showers. It's essentially a shrine and a salute to Cesar Chavez and his promotion of illegal aliens to do farm work - as he thought that American citizens don't like to do hard work, Hard core liberals love it. the rest of us are either offended, or else just one big yawn.
    I'm have to add that is a common misconception about Cesar Chavez. Cesar Chavez was an American citizen who served in the armed forces of our country - he did not approve of illegal aliens doing farm work. He wanted citizens who worked in the farms to be unionized and contribute to our society in a legal way. Delving further into this I have also discovered that Cesar Chavez would report illegal workers, since they were taking jobs from those he was trying to unionize.

My parents are Mexican, but I was born and raised in Los Angeles. With that said it is sad to see that most people associate Cesar Chavez with illegal aliens.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I saw it when I was there, just to see it. I give it a meh.

If it was the scale and scope of the American Adventure in EPCOT, which is clearly what the intention was, then it would have been much better. But the Whoopi as the spirit of California got kinda old, and some of the acted parts were a little cheesy. Also, the end song was completely awful. Ruined the good message that was building up throughout the movie, IMO.

I am glad I saw it, but now I don't have a need to see it again anytime soon.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

OK, I have seen the movie several times and I actually really like it. It's very moving and full of hope. I always cry when the oriental lady gets pelted with the tomatoes...so mean!

Yes, I agree that as an attraction it is hugely lacking. It also doesn't have a lot of replay value. Can you say HISTA? Attractions that are not much more than a movie with a couple of bells and whistles just don't carry much weight. Taken for what it is worth, which is a D ticket "ride" at best, I think it is a nice place to relax in the a/c and enjoy a good, short movie with a somewhat sappy but still good song sung by Heather Headley.

With that said, good or not, it's not worth the amount of space that is being taken up. They could do something much more with the space.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    I'm have to add that is a common misconception about Cesar Chavez. Cesar Chavez was an American citizen who served in the armed forces of our country - he did not approve of illegal aliens doing farm work. He wanted citizens who worked in the farms to be unionized and contribute to our society in a legal way. Delving further into this I have also discovered that Cesar Chavez would report illegal workers, since they were taking jobs from those he was trying to unionize.

My parents are Mexican, but I was born and raised in Los Angeles. With that said it is sad to see that most people associate Cesar Chavez with illegal aliens.
    Sorry Liz. I simply find the film utterly boring, and full of inacuracies and important people and information that was not considered a priority to include.

I could have appreciated a more fully demensional account of Cesar Chavez in the film. The editor is a piece of crap. Somebody such as yourself would have made a far better producer or editer.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-30-2007 at 11:32 AM.

• "I Break Things"

It's the perfect compliment to extreme amounts of beer... as others have mentioned sobers you right up and bores you out of the buzz!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

All this Golden Dreams bashing! Just because it is not particularly exciting does not mean it should be taken out.

Should we remove the cars and the horse drawn trolleys from Main Street because those are boring?

Golden Dreams should stay because that is one of the few things in DCA that support the overall theme in what is generally a theme-less park.

• Minion

I saw it once only during the DCA preview and found it to be a thematically muddled, politcally-correct tract out of character with traditional Walt Disney entertainment and theme park experiences but not offering anything fresh or compelling either. It's a self-serious, progressive social studies film (not that there's anything wrong with that) masquerding as a California history lesson (it isn't) that belongs in a social history museum for school field trips, not at Disneyland. Not a fun way to transcend the real world nor a technically dazzling lesson in inspirational ideals - such as Lincoln. It's just preachy and reminds me the sad world outside (there is a lot of negativity and oppression and even the death of a child in the original cut). It's the sour side of learning, not the optimistic and I have never been back.

What's more, though it pretends to set an overall theme for the park, it exists in a vacuum, having absolutely nothing to do with anything else in the whole place any more than A Bug's Life or Tortilla Factory Does. Better to start fresh than hang onto half-baked things that no longer fit.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 07-30-2007 at 12:08 PM.

• Minion

doesnt it show that little asian boy die when he doesnt light the TNT in time? or maybe it was a man.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast