Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• I love my family!

Tarzan's Treehouse

So I was wondering, why people don't like the Tarzan's Treehouse?

Why was The Swiss family so much better?

The park spent the money on an old very outdated static display and updated it into an interactive modern attraction.

And on top of all that they used a Disney character! Not Pixar, not a pirate.

I think we should all just be happy we're not getting Tia Dalma's treehouse next.

What do you guys think?

• Shablagoo!

Re: Tarzan's Treehouse

I don't know what the Swiss Family Treehouse was like, but I went up into Tarzan's Treehouse back in November and thought it was really dull.

• I love my family!

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I don't know what the Swiss Family Treehouse was like, but I went up into Tarzan's Treehouse back in November and thought it was really dull.
    It was like the below deck displays on the Columbia, minus the cool ride on the ship.
    Just a whole bunch of static displays and still all the climbing,

I think they should change the play area at the end into a meet and great.

• Roller Coaster Aficionado

I enjoyed the Swiss Family Treehouse. Swiss Family Robinson was always one of my favorite movies and I had developed an appreciation for the "old school" Disney attraction. I suppose they could have done worse as far as changing it. Tarzan was a good choice for refurbishment, but I think that Disney has been giving up too many classic attractions and replacing them with less "timeless" attractions. I understand you have to reach the youth of the world, but why can't the youth of the world learn to appreciate things from the past?

• I love my family!

Quote Originally Posted by Coasterfan View Post
    I enjoyed the Swiss Family Treehouse. Swiss Family Robinson was always one of my favorite movies and I had developed an appreciation for the "old school" Disney attraction. I suppose they could have done worse as far as changing it. Tarzan was a good choice for refurbishment, but I think that Disney has been giving up too many classic attractions and replacing them with less "timeless" attractions. I understand you have to reach the youth of the world, but why can't the youth of the world learn to appreciate things from the past?
    I do believe there are some untouchable attractions at the park but, I don't think the treehouse based on the OLD Disney film would fall into that category.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

I just hate the static fiberglass displays of the characters. To me it actually just takes away from the experience. Nothing says magic like fiberglass static displays.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• "I Break Things"

I think it was the manner in which it was done. The old Swiss was actually a pretty cool display if you think about it. The water wheel that took the river water up so they had "running water" and they had specific rooms like the kitchen and bedroom and things like that. It wasn't so much a story as an actual treehouse. Also they didn't have static characters in there. It was a lot more believable, you could picture yourself living there, and that the Robinsons were away, out in the park.

The Tarzan Treehouse tries to tell an actual story instead of it just being a treehouse. They banked on the popularity of the movie, and while it was a hit the first couple years... they failed. I think the two biggest problems are the completely fake cartoon characters and the lack of things to really look at. The laboratory at the bottom has a lot going on... and that was how every room in the Swiss was!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Because you can't force history onto millions of kids.
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• Closed Account

The Swiss Treehouse was "real." You participated in it. You used your imagination. You were immersed.

The Tarzan Treehouse is a cartoon. You are not immersed. The story is force-fed to you. Leave your imagination at the door.

Really, 3rdshift, this has been covered many, many times before. I'm sure you've read the discussions. Either you get it, or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ttztotdca50 View Post
    Because you can't force history onto millions of kids.
    Well Swiss Family Robinson was done way before I was born and I don't feel like any of the Disney movies or history that came before me was forced upon me.
    Maybe it's just me but these movies and attractions made Disneyland into what it is today. I can always appreciate new and fresh ideas, but never forget to appreciate what came before them.

I think the concept of a Swiss Family Robinson was a little more ... pure? Which is to say, whether you grew up with the film or not, what kid wouldn't want to live in a giant treehouse? As Tarzan's treehouse, the attraction becomes a bit less about the treehouse itself, and more about the Disney movie tie-in.

I like it the way it is, but I can see why it would be "just not the same" if you grew up with the SFR Treehouse.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

Well Swiss Family Robinson was done way before I was born and I don't feel like any of the Disney movies or history that came before me was forced upon me.
    Maybe it's just me but these movies and attractions made Disneyland into what it is today. I can always appreciate new and fresh ideas, but never forget to appreciate what came before them.
    Except most kids aren't into the history of Disneyland like we are.
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Quote Originally Posted by ttztotdca50 View Post
    Except most kids aren't into the history of Disneyland like we are.
    True......sad, but true.

• Minion

>>I do believe there are some untouchable attractions at the park but, I don't think the treehouse based on the OLD Disney film would fall into that category.<<

All Walt Disney films are OLD, from Snow White onward. They have been old for generations. Many were old when we were kids. In many cases, they were based on even older novels (such as Tarzan) and ancient folk tales. What's that got to do with anything? The best Walt Disney classics, both films and themes, are timeless, as is Disneyland itself. What has old got to do with anything in the world of Disney? - - it is always ever-fresh to new eyes. It is new to them.

I saw the movie only a few weeks ago at a theatre in Santa Monica with a full audience of families and it played as well as it ever did. The kids loved it. Blame the company for not perpetuatating the property (or any of Walt's live action films) enthusiastically. It remains one of my very favorite movies (and one of Disney's biggest box office hits and audience pleasers).

As for the Treehouse -- It was Walt's treehouse - - he himself helped come up with so many of the imaginative interesting contraptions the Robinsons devised to survive (water wheel plumbing system etc) in storymeetings for the film and brought those things to life at the park. The attraction was a testament to ingenuity, imagination and the will to survive. "They took a deserted island and made it into a tropical paradise." And we "became" those castways in our own imagination, imagining what it was like to live in such a tree, on such an island, away from our cares and woes of the modern world. It was one of the lovliest spots in the Magic Kingdom for that reason alone. Like stepping into the classic movie and book.

By not having character representations, we were better able to project ourselves into the scenario. Tarzan has none of ingenuity of detail that the Robinsons had - - and added only character mannequins and anachronistic effects that make the thing like a phony Disney Store window display or children's museum exhibit.

Tarzan didn't live in that tree, the Robinsons did. He threw them out.

The Swiss Family Treehouse remains an icon of Walt Disney's Disneyland. And in his honor, it should return - - especially if there is a remake.

See my detailed article, "Escape to Paradise" on the Re-Imagineering blog for a lengthy examination of the Swiss Family Treehouse issue:

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/...-paradise.html

...also, note the recent poll in which a great majority wish the Robinsons to return home from their unfair eviction:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...amily+robinson

• I love my family!

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseRemainSeated View Post
    I think the concept of a Swiss Family Robinson was a little more ... pure? Which is to say, whether you grew up with the film or not, what kid wouldn't want to live in a giant treehouse? As Tarzan's treehouse, the attraction becomes a bit less about the treehouse itself, and more about the Disney movie tie-in.

I like it the way it is, but I can see why it would be "just not the same" if you grew up with the SFR Treehouse.

See that's my point, I grew up with the Robinson's and I love the Swisska Polka but, I like most people never really went up into the treehouse.

Could the displays have been better? Yes but, I think the idea was in the right place. Update an old attraction that didn't bring in the people anymore with a Modern but classic character.

I wonder if the ADA could have made a difference in what WDI could have done.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast