• Minion

Car Service From LAX to Disneyland Hotel

HI.

My family and I have always used Super Shuttle -- always good service, but for our next trip we were thinking of getting a private car/town car. Does anyone have any information on this? And if so, how was the service? cost?

Thanks in advance!

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Car Service From LAX to Disneyland Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
    HI.

My family and I have always used Super Shuttle -- always good service, but for our next trip we were thinking of getting a private car/town car. Does anyone have any information on this? And if so, how was the service? cost?

Thanks in advance!
    Private cars are about $90 each way. There are web sites online. Don't know exactly which are better than the others. I like it, though:
    1. The car is for your party only, and no one else.
    2. They're picking your party up, and no one else after you.
    3. They're dropping you off, and no one else before you.
    4. Driver has your party's name on a placard. Very important-looking.

For me, service was good the one time I got picked up. Better than SuperShuttle the few times I've been forced to take those.
    Cost doesn't seem that much more than SuperShuttle, especially for the privacy and efficiency. Do note how much you're spending on this trip, and that some $30 more each way shouldn't break you or leave you destitute when you're an old man. If anything, your children will love you for it, so much so that they'll care for you in your old-age state. Yes, I am stating that this is an investment for your retirement years.
    Last edited by sediment; 08-01-2007 at 10:40 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Disneyland Bound

If you go to Limos.com you can have them send you prices from various companies that rent limos, town cars, etc. If I'm remembering correctly, it was about $250 for a limo, round trip.

Or there's the Disneyland express. There's nothing private about it, but it has a bathroom and Disneymovies playing during the trip to the hotel. That's what we finally decided on for our trip.

Whatever you choose, have a great time!

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by lil lisa View Post
    Or there's the Disneyland express. There's nothing private about it, but it has a bathroom and Disneymovies playing during the trip to the hotel. That's what we finally decided on for our trip.
    Is that in any way complimentary if you are staying in a Disney Hotel? I'll be staying at the GCH (fingers crossed) on my next trip, so I'm just curious. The two journeys I've made from LAX to a hotel (admittedly, to Good Neighbour Hotels) have been pretty smooth. Of course, we didn't realise that there were "bus stops" for the various companies after emerging from our lengthy and mind-numbing flight (it pays to read the instructions on your ticket) so we tried flagging them down for about 20 minutes. We must have looked hilarious.

At any rate, I'm talking about myself again...
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Rock Star Minion

LAX Information, by me, source: top of head and internets:
    1. Arriving by plane, you will eventually want to leave LAX by some other means.
    2. On the near curb will be taxis, usually no wait. Check under yellow "Taxi" banner, if currently no taxis. I believe that this is also where private limo services will park.
    3. Being picked up by friends/family: there is a cellphone waiting lot.
    http://www.lawa.org/lax/laxWaitingLot.cfm
    79 parking spots, free, and they must wait at their car. (My cellphone waiting lot is at Hollywood Park, and I'm at the poker table, but I digress.)
    It is about 5 minutes from LAX. Call them when you arrive, and it will ease the extremely high pollution level in the "race track" area.
    4. On the second curb, beyond the taxis and Friends&Family pickup lanes, are a number of waiting places under differently colored banners.
    5. Red for nearby Hotel and Private Parking Lots' Shuttles.
    6. Blue for LAX Shuttle Airline Connections to other terminals (8 in all, I think) (A Shuttle). Also, to Green Line (G Shuttle). Also to Metro Bus Center (C Shuttle).
    7. Green for Scheduled Flyaways, Scheduled Buses, and Scheduled Long Distance Vans. (Grayline/Coach runs Disneyland Resort Express.)
    8. Orange for Shared Ride Vans -- SuperShuttle and PrimeTime, for example.
    9. Purple for Rental Car Shuttle. Ten are allowed to go around with their own shuttles with their names on them. About 30 other companies will pick up at Lot C with their shuttles. Take "Lot C" shuttle bus (not sure if this = "C" bus noted above.

The only thing I don't know at the moment is exactly which order these 5-9 are in. They shouldn't differ by terminal, but they might. They're not that close to each other, and the soot/dark of night sometimes will make them hard to read or even see the color.

There. Don't know how useful or accurate this is. The link above has lots of the same info that I just wrote.
    Last edited by sediment; 08-01-2007 at 05:06 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Man O Lantern

We used a car service (Town Car) from a good neighbor hotel to LAX once and it was worth the money. For 5 of us to get from the hotel via Super Shuttle, it was about the same price. I think it was $60ish at the time (three years ago).

Every other trip though, we've used Super Shuttle for the round trip, paid in advance to get the cheaper rate. Since then we've cabbed it from Santa Ana.

I'd take a Town Car if you can--it's worth it for the privacy and comfort.

• Disneyland Bound

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    Is that in any way complimentary if you are staying in a Disney Hotel? I'll be staying at the GCH (fingers crossed) on my next trip, so I'm just curious. The two journeys I've made from LAX to a hotel (admittedly, to Good Neighbour Hotels) have been pretty smooth. Of course, we didn't realise that there were "bus stops" for the various companies after emerging from our lengthy and mind-numbing flight (it pays to read the instructions on your ticket) so we tried flagging them down for about 20 minutes. We must have looked hilarious.

At any rate, I'm talking about myself again...
    The Disneyland Express Bus is not complimentary. It costs just a bit less than Super Shuttle. I set our transportation up through Disneyland Travel when I got our room and tickets, they just added it into the cost. I weighed the pros and cons of car rental, bus, shuttle and limo and for us, the bus seemed the best all around deal. We're only there for 3 days, so we don't plan on doing much outside of Disneyland itself, so a rental car wasn't necessary. The thought of a limo was cool, but it was still enough over the cost of the shuttle/bus that we thought we'd rather put that money towards souvenirs instead. There are 5 people in our party, so we thought it might be nice to have a shuttle to ourselves, but we're arriving at night, around 9pm. We're going to be tired and hyper at the same time. So we thought the atmosphere of the bus might be best for the kids especially, and having comfy seats and a bathroom handy for a 45 or more minute drive sounded really nice. My understanding is that the bus drops off at the Disneyland hotels first, so it's not a lengthy wait at a bunch of drop off spots if you're staying on property.

All options serve their purpose of getting you from LAX to the hotel and back, and for similar prices, so it's just figuring out which will best serve your family's needs. I don't know that you can go wrong with any of the options.

• Disney Starved in AZ

Note to self... next time I get laid off from government work move to the beach, live with my cousin and start a limo company that only drives between SNA/LAX and DLR!!!

I could charge half of what the other companies charge and still make a fortune!

I'd call it Disney Freaks Limo Service! It would be a red and black limo with mouse ears and have hidden Mickeys inside and out!

Ok... back to work! Ugh, the government grind!

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalPalaceGirl View Post
    Note to self... next time I get laid off from government work move to the beach, live with my cousin and start a limo company that only drives between SNA/LAX and DLR!!!

I could charge half of what the other companies charge and still make a fortune!
    Er, have you checked gas prices lately? (I passed a Shell station a few miles west of downtown LA on Tuesday -- corner of S. Fairfax and, um, can't remember -- that was charging over $3.80 for regular) I don't think there's a huge amount of room for cutting prices.

• Disney Starved in AZ

Quote Originally Posted by KDR View Post
    Er, have you checked gas prices lately? (I passed a Shell station a few miles west of downtown LA on Tuesday -- corner of S. Fairfax and, um, can't remember -- that was charging over $3.80 for regular) I don't think there's a huge amount of room for cutting prices.
    I guess my point was that for a 30-40 mile (approx) drive someone charges $150? You can get a rental car for almost a week for that price! So, regardless what gas costs - I could still do it for less! Even if I charged $100 I'd STILL make money! I probably wouldn't spend $100 in gas in 1-2 days at current rates making 2-3 runs per day! I realize there is also car expense and maintenance and things... but those are minimal per mile!

• Minion

I guess my point was that for a 30-40 mile (approx) drive someone charges $150? You can get a rental car for almost a week for that price! So, regardless what gas costs - I could still do it for less! Even if I charged $100 I'd STILL make money! I probably wouldn't spend $100 in gas in 1-2 days at current rates making 2-3 runs per day! I realize there is also car expense and maintenance and things... but those are minimal per mile!
    I have to agree with you on this. Thought about it myself. We (my family) can drive up to LAX in 40min from the OC. And we don't mind it! Was just there on Wed night to say hi to my aunt and uncle from NC who were on their way to China...

• Minion

You can rent a car for that price!
    We did, last Feb, over the Presidents Day week.
    We got a mid-size (pacifica) from Thrifty for $99.
    I will never take the shuttle again!

• Disneyland Bound

That price is for round trip, LAX to Disneyland and back to LAX again however many days later. In the case of the Disneyland express, it also includes movies, comfortable seating and a bathroom. In the case of a limo, luxury accommodations and drinks/snacks. From what I understand, even though it's not that far away from a mileage standpoint, the trip can sometimes take hours, depending on the time of day, traffic patterns, etc. I'm sure there is money to be made for the people that do it. I could have rented a nice car for less than what I'll pay for transportation, but for us it was worth it NOT to have to drive in an unfamiliar large city and NOT to have to worry about traffic congestion, parking and other issues that go with renting a car.