Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HELP. Bringing Motion Sickness Guest to park

I have a friend who doesn't want to go to Disneyland because he gets motion sickness easily.

Its so bad that he has to drive everywhere he goes. He can never be a passenger.

I know that rollercoasters and fast boat rides are out of the question, but he is thinking Pirates, Small World, and even Haunted Mansion might be hard for him.

Can anyone share some tips with me so he would be more comfotable in attending Disneyland

Thx
    -Brian

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: HELP. Bringing Motion Sickness Guest to park

I get motion sickness, and believe me, it is not fun! I don't go on the obvious rides (Space Mtn., Calif. Screamin', Teacups, Star Tours, etc.). But Pirates, HM and Small world have never been a problem. I'm sure he knows all the tricks of the trade - Dramamine, wrist bands, ginger.

There are many things he can do besides the barf rides!

I have a friend in a similar situation. She had REALLY bad mono when she was younger, and has some serious internal issues now. This makes her really suceptable to motion sickness, and nausea, even in cars, or walking/eating.

We took her to Disneyland last year, and under the advice of her doctor, she tried a 'certain' medication that can only be used in certain states (like california) and helps with motion sickness/pain managment/nausea/glaucoma/etc. (get my drift?).

Anyways, this COMPLETELY took away her motion sickness, and helped her have a great vacation. Also it has helped her live a more normal life since the vacation as well. If this is a legal option for your friend, then I would suggest it.

Oh, and stay away from Star Tours! - That even turns my stomach.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Brisal73 View Post
    I have a friend who doesn't want to go to Disneyland because he gets motion sickness easily.

Its so bad that he has to drive everywhere he goes. He can never be a passenger.

I know that rollercoasters and fast boat rides are out of the question, but he is thinking Pirates, Small World, and even Haunted Mansion might be hard for him.

Can anyone share some tips with me so he would be more comfotable in attending Disneyland

Thx
    -Brian
    Dramamine or other motion sickness medications or patches.

Carry a bag or three.

Wear a badge with I Do Code-V on it as a preemptive warning to Cast Members. Not sure if Guest Relations has any but you never know and they might be able to give advice about rides.

Tell attractions Loaders about it. They might consider giving him a little space around him just in case to minimize the damage. (Generally guests get some recompense if they get puked on by other guests and it would be cheaper to give the perps some extra room.) Not effective in the case of projectile vomiting.

• Suspended

I'm not sure if Disneyland can move in such a way that a person could remain motionless and still enjoy it.
    Heck, the least motiony attractions can make one sick: tough to be a bug, HISTA, Star Tours. All don't move a whole lot, yet combined with the visuals, they can all be physically nauseating.

Dramamine might also work.
    I'll add "extra clothes" to JeffYardDog's list.

Easiest solution, though, would be to acquiesce to his wishes, and leave him home. That way, no one has to do anything that they don't want to do, and everyone also gets to do what they want to do.

• =)

I've never dealt with motion sickness personally. A few people in my family have, though not as bad as your friend, from the sound of it. So, take this advice with a grain of salt...

* Pirates should be fine except for the drops. They're brief and not too tall, of course, but if that sort of thing bothers him, even POTC may be out of the question.
    * The only problem I can think of with the Haunted Mansion is the way the Doombuggies swivel a little wildly on a few occasions. It's not too bad, though...
    * Small World ought to be completely fine. The boat doesn't rock and there are no drops. No one can assume liability for any brain damage that may result from the horrific sights within, though.
    * The Jungle Cruise ought to be fine, I'd think. Again, not too much rocking or acceleration. Sitting in a spot with good visibility ought to help, too.
    * If not for the drops, Splash would be fine. I wouldn't suggest it, unless your friend is somehow okay with long drops.
    * Some of the Fantasyland dark rides should be harmless, I'd think. I haven't been on some of them in person, though. Winnie the Pooh is in the same boat, so to speak, though that one also puts you at risk for substantial brain damage.
    * The Disneyland Railroad moves at a steady clip on a flat track, with gradual turns and minimal acceleration. Should be fine for anyone, methinks.
    * If your friend can't even ride as an automobile passenger, the monorail might be out...but it's a pretty smooth, easy ride, with no sudden turns or anything, so who knows.
    * Innoventions should be fine, as long as he doesn't stand outside, right next to the rotating wall, watching it spin.
    * If he's the one in control of the spinning (or lack thereof), Buzz Lightyear shouldn't affect him too much. In fact, focusing on the task of shooting the targets might help alleviate the possibility of nausea.
    * The 50th anniversary show where Mr. Lincoln used to reside is more or less just a movie, so it shouldn't be a problem.
    * I've never ridden either of the two ships that navigate Rivers of America, but I'd think that they're both very easy rides. The Mark Twain might be easier, but you'd have to verify that with someone who's been on it.
    * The fireworks show and Fantasmic! No one could get sick watching those, although earplugs might be helpful for anyone who wants to avoid headache.
    * The Enchanted Tiki Room is completely motionless--just a brief sit-down show with lots of singing birds overhead. No danger there.
    * If the line's short enough for your tastes, the subs shouldn't be problematic. I've never been on them myself, but I believe you more or less just totter along "underwater", without turbulence or sudden acceleration or sharp turns or drops.

Heck, the least motiony attractions can make one sick: tough to be a bug, HISTA, Star Tours. All don't move a whole lot, yet combined with the visuals, they can all be physically nauseating.
    It's not the fact that they only move a little...it's the fact that the motion you feel is technically unrelated to the motion you see. Many people's brains have no problem putting the two together to form a new reality, but some unlucky souls just get very sick.

That being said, some of those unlucky souls I know have had great success just closing their eyes in the bad parts of such rides. The mismatch between the eyes and the inner ears dissolves, and the sickness stabilizes as a result. This won't do much good for the consistently turbulent ride that is Star Tours, but HISTA only moves in the last part of the ride. The rest is just a big, stationary 3D movie. You can warn him to close his eyes after the audience is shrunk, and I would think everything should be cool. If not, standing up and leaving is a viable option.

Good luck! I hope the visit works out and you and your friend both have great times. Please don't force him to go, though. While I believe there are enough "safe" attractions to fill up at least most of a day, he may not want to risk it. Don't worsen the situation by pushing him too much.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Winnie the Pooh is in the same boat, so to speak, though that one also puts you at risk for substantial brain damage.
    Winnie the Pooh makes me nauseous - all that bobbing up and down. Mr. Toad is pretty wild - fast hairpin turns. That might be a problem.

• =)

Mr. Toad is pretty wild - fast hairpin turns. That might be a problem.
    Agreed. I wouldn't recommend it.

• Rarely has a point

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DCAFTW View Post
    We took her to Disneyland last year, and under the advice of her doctor, she tried a 'certain' medication that can only be used in certain states (like california) and helps with motion sickness/pain managment/nausea/glaucoma/etc. (get my drift?).

Am I thinking correctly, I thought they outlawed that in CA

Nope...totally legal with a prescription. In fact there are five pharmacies within a couple blocks of my apartment. Actually, in SF there are more pharmacies than there are McDonalds.

• Rarely has a point

Blog Entries

So I moved to Oregon for no reason............................................ ........................
    just kidding.

Hahaha...well maybe soon it will be national. It's already decriminalized in San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda etc.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I don't know what it is about Soarin' Over California. I love that ride, but the scene as you are flying over downton LA always makes me dizzy. And I don't know why. I go into it telling myself not to get dizzy, thinking it is mind over matter, but it still doesn't work.

Must be all the smog they pipe in during that part!

• Grumpy old man

As a child I had horrible motion sickness as a child, I would get sick even on short car rides, but amazingly I did fine on rides such as Star Tours and motion simulators quickly became my favorite type of ride, despite my ease of motion sickness. Have they been on a ride and it made them sick, or do they think they will get sick because of the car sickness? If it's just the latter, there may be little harm in trying.

Ginger works wonders too, I took some for my last trip for the car ride down, and was able to read, use my laptop, etc all without getting sick (even though over the years my car sickness has been less then it was a child)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DCAFTW View Post
    I have a friend in a similar situation. She had REALLY bad mono when she was younger, and has some serious internal issues now. This makes her really suceptable to motion sickness, and nausea, even in cars, or walking/eating.

Anyways, this COMPLETELY took away her motion sickness, and helped her have a great vacation. Also it has helped her live a more normal life since the vacation as well. If this is a legal option for your friend, then I would suggest it.

Oh, and stay away from Star Tours! - That even turns my stomach.
    awwwwwwww ok, I was like what???
    Now I understand........ doobi doobi doobi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast