Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• DL Nerd

Should classic rides ever be removed?

Classic Rides being: Peter Pan, Small World, Teacups, even.... Storybook boats perhaps? There are others of course

I would hate to think of Disneyland without these great and timeless attractions, but will there ever be a time to get rid of them?

We all know the WD said that DL will always grow and change.

Certainly there must be a time when these attractions will have to move on (or perhaps not)

Will Disneyland be Disneyland without these classics? Would you fight for them? Or would you stand aside for the sake of change and progress?
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Minion

Re: Should classic rides ever be removed?

>>We all know the WD said that DL will always grow and change.<<

He never said cool things should be closed for the sake of franchises, demos and ROI - - or executive whim.

>>Would you fight for them? Or would you stand aside for the sake of change and progress?<<

Change and progress? What's with the huge influx of stale facilitation language lately? We definitely have had an uptick.

• DL Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    What's with the huge influx of stale facilitation language lately? We definitely have had an uptick.
    Sorry my English isn't up to your high standards, Professor.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Fighter Pilot

I say jst cusae a rdie is old deons't mkae it geart. But tehy all are ptetry geart in teihr own way. But wuodln't mnid smoetihng new

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

As long as classic attractions continue to amaze, spread joy, inspire, they shouldn't be removed.

But there are times when change is necessary. The subs for example. Sure, maybe they didn't need to go so far as putting Nemo into it, but it was indeed a stale ride when it closed.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Mousketeer

It all comes down to why are they replacing it, and what are they replacing it with.

The subs, peoplemover, CBJ, and Mine Train were classic attractions that are now gone.
    The Mine Train was replaced by Big Thunder. Most people wouldn't complain even though we do miss the old train. CBJ was removed and replaced with a lesser attraction. So people complain. Peoplemover and subs were taken out and left with nothing there until recently when the subs were replaced. If your taking something out to put in something better, there will be sighs and groans, but in the end most people will agree with it. If you take it out and put in something lame or leave nothing in it's place. then that is very bad.

• Disgruntled Former CM

Wink Re: Should classic rides ever be removed?

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    I say jst cusae a rdie is old deons't mkae it geart. But tehy all are ptetry geart in teihr own way. But wuodln't mnid smoetihng new
    Wait a minute while I get my "Indiana Jones Maraglyphics Decipher card" out; I know that this has something to do with the Fountain of Youth...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb View Post
    It all comes down to why are they replacing it, and what are they replacing it with.

The subs, peoplemover, CBJ, and Mine Train were classic attractions that are now gone.
    The Mine Train was replaced by Big Thunder. Most people wouldn't complain even though we do miss the old train. CBJ was removed and replaced with a lesser attraction. So people complain. Peoplemover and subs were taken out and left with nothing there until recently when the subs were replaced. If your taking something out to put in something better, there will be sighs and groans, but in the end most people will agree with it. If you take it out and put in something lame or leave nothing in it's place. then that is very bad.
    Carousel of Progress too.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Minion

>>What's with the huge influx of stale facilitation language lately? We definitely have had an uptick.<<
    >>Sorry my English isn't up to your high standards, Professor.<<

What I mean is change and progress are not the same thing. This is a fallacy of consumerism and the higher education system.

The false equation is a leftover of change propaganda from decades gone by. In political and business circles the use of this terminology is called 'facilitation' - - often used to get workers or groups to go along with initiatives against their better judgment. The idea is to make people feel guilty for being change-resistant or anti-progressive. The assumption of business being "everything new is better" so you will want to buy it. "If it's new it must be progressive." Sadly, it's a false premise.

Good change is good - bad change is bad. Sometimes no change is more progressive than bad change.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 08-02-2007 at 10:06 AM.

• =)

Classic rides shouldn't stay just because they're classics. They should stay because they continue to be enjoyed by millions of people. When a "classic" does little more than use space and attract a few people each hour, it really ought to be upgraded or replaced.

It's not so much the replacement itself that bothers me--it's the total destruction of the old ride. I really wish there were a museum of some sort somewhere, a real-life Yesterland. Defunct attractions would be honored by being moved there, in part or as a whole. Unfortunately, some rides really don't become classics till after they're gone.

Yup, if you're gonna make a change, it's got to be worth it.

• DL Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >>What's with the huge influx of stale facilitation language lately? We definitely have had an uptick.<<
    >>Sorry my English isn't up to your high standards, Professor.<<

What I mean is change and progress are not the same thing. This is a fallacy of consumerism and the higher education system.

The false equation is a leftover of change propaganda from decades gone by. In political and business circles the use of this terminology is called 'facilitiation' - - often used to get workers or groups to go along with initiatives against their better judgment. The idea is to make people feel guilty for being change-resistant or anti-progressive. The assumption of business being "everything new is better" so you will want to buy it. "If it's new it must be progressive." Sadly, it's a false premise.

Good change is good - bad change is bad. Sometimes no change is more progressive than bad change.

What I mean by the topic is this... ( well my feeling now..anyway. I can't remember what my original intent is.)

What if the rides are replaced by a quality attraction. Not just a crap attraction because it's new.

Will people not want to see the old classics be replaced because it will feel un-Disneyland to them?

• Minion

well so far none of the classics are stale enough for them to get replaced except snow white but i mean if we get an amazing two story aladdin ride or whatever it would compensate.

or if they replaced a classic with a classic movie, like pinochio with 101 dalmations puppy run i wouldnt mind, but if they plopped in ratatouille or meet the robinsons i would mind.

• Minion

Sometimes people don't know how good a thing is until it's gone (PeopleMover). That's not just nostalgia, but reassessment.

Also, in the world of Disney, nothing is ever really old when there are new generations to experience it for the first time, so change means very little unless there is good reason for it and something clearly better to replace it.

Also, things always come and go in cycles (pirates, princesses, tiki, mod), and sometimes it's just a matter of waiting it out.

And some things improve with age - - others fade and tire. Some things improve via nostalgia, a legitimate phenomenon.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

here's the thing...

i like the IDEA of all the classic rides , and the history involved with them , but honestly , i have not ridden the TeaCups in YEARS... and have never been on the Storybookland Canal Boats , or the train deal.... see i don't even know the name. if something classic does pass away , it had better be replaced with something cool , rather than like a character meet and greet or even worse... nothing at all

My Maleficent tattoo

I've often wondered - how much is that land worth?

Think about it this way. A square foot in the Ginza district in Tokyo is worth $13-$14,000. I would think a square foot of land inside Disneyland is worth quite a bit. An awful lot is spent every year just maintaining the park around it. But then they keep closing attractions and leaving the space empty - Festival of Fools, Peoplemover, RocketJets, Skyway terminal. Others stood empty for years - circlevision, subs - and I don't think ANYONE'S going to visit the park for the Buzz Lightyear ride. Lame but charming rides that could have been updated - Carousel of Progress - turns into something lamer - America Sings - and then get lamified beyond all recognition - Innoventions.

(I work in Tech, and I won't even go into innoventions any more. I have better tech in my bathroom.)

They seem to think that land inside the park isn't worth much.

Say I'd like to lease the Skyway terminal. They're not doing anything with it. I'll build it out into a bed and breakfast. How much would they want for it? If it's more than $10,000 a month - why aren't THEY doing something with it?

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast