Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• potterday.org

Could our Mansion get this kind of upgrade?

Grievings and Sanguinations,

I've never been to Walt Disney World. I'd like to some day, but I can't even estimate when that day might come. In the meantime, I enjoy the pleasure of living close enough to DLR to drive there in 10-15 minutes.

What I have cut-and-pasted below I found on Myspace's Doombuggies profile. It pertains to an upgrade that WDW's Haunted Mansion is apparently getting. "But Zoe, shouldn't this be moved to the WDW section of Micechat?" Perhaps, but I'm not posting it as news in regards to WDW, since I only read Micechat matter germane to it if it's a Declining By Degrees article.

So I'm posting this here as the preposition to a question: is there any word or plans for the west coast Haunted Mansion to receive the kind of enhancements described below? That's the only thing that really matters to me, in the end.

Here's the article I found, minus the introductory paragraph:

One of the things that you'll notice will be astonishing new digital audio effects, using some of the newest technology. "We have taken this new technology and incorporated it into The Haunted Mansion, always careful to maintain the integrity of the original show for all its many fans," Walt Disney Imagineering Principle Media Designer Joe Herrington told us. "Everything they've loved is there, but we've added to it to make it an even more incredible show."

"Could it be that these walls are actually stretching?"

"There are certain things that are sacred territory, like the Ghost Host," he continued. "But in the past, his voice just plunked around the room. We've gone a lot further now. Now he has the power to float around you and the other Guests." (Sometimes he can get creepily close!)

"Now once we got our friend the Ghost Host floating around the room just like a real ghost in an extremely believable way, we decided to bring the little gargoyles to life and let them have fun as well," said Joe. "We put a few bats in there and let them fly around and a few other things too. So now we have more of an ambiance, a texture."

The Imagineers were so dedicated to getting the sound quality perfect, they actually built a full-scale replica of the Stretch Room in their Glendale, California, studios for meticulous testing. Joe assured us that the results were definitely worth the effort. "It's a very noticeable difference, like night and day."

"Wall-to-wall creeps, hot and cold running chills..."

While the Stretch Room is the prime showcase for this new sound technology, a similar effect of a floating Ghost Host is replicated as soon as you climb aboard your "doom buggy" to tour the upstairs hallways, ballroom, attic and graveyard. And as you explore, you may spot some other unnerving sights in addition to the classic scenes. You never know what might materialize! (Look for more in a special video in the October issue of this newsletter.)

Voice actor royalty retain their thrones

The bride adds the only new voice to The Haunted Mansion; all the original ghostly voices will still be there to chill you. The Ghost Host narration—acclaimed as one of the finest vocal performances in any medium—remains the domain of Disney Legend Paul Frees, whose many other roles include Boris on Rocky and Bullwinkle.

And speaking of mediums, continuing as Madame Leota's voice will be Eleanor Audley, who also voiced Lady Tremaine in Cinderella and Malificent in Sleeping Beauty. And thanks to state-of-the-art sound, their voices and all the other atmospheric effects will sound even better—or worse, depending on your point of view—than ever.
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

• Golden State of Mind

Re: Could our Mansion get this kind of upgrade?

no
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Minion

Didn't the DL HM just get upgraded? I can't see Disney doing another upgrade any time soon.

• Closed Account

I would love to see the sound upgrade in the stretch room, that sounds really cool.

• hatbox ghost believer

Thumbs up Re: Could our Mansion get this kind of upgrade?

We could get most of the upgrades. I believe "Constance" (the black widow bride) will be 2.0 at WDW, so we'll probably get her upgrade for sure at the least. The only thing we most likely won't get is the new staircase (I think that area in WDW is longer, so if we did get it it would be a smaller revision). Cool ideas though! If they implement them, it would happen during the downtime after HMH. Fingers crossed!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• Master Gracey's Bane

It's high time the WDW version gets some upgrades...the DL version is so much better right now...WDW needs some love!
    Do NOT pull down on the safety bar, please...I will lower it for you...

I doubt DLR would get a refurb of this magnitude, but that's because it's in better shape to start with. Maybe if WDW starts making it look bad instead of the other way around, they'll "kick it up a notch".

But WDW did need the attention, so I'm glad it's getting some. I bet if any of the new touches prove to be really popular, DLR wouldn't be too far behind.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• Up is Down

they have been talking about doing this here as well just hasnt happened yet.
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

Hi all...First time poster...

In reading through the description above, it occurs to me that the "sound upgrade" of the Ghost Host in the Stretching Room is simply an update to the soundtrack playing through each speaker. The floating effect can be accomplished by remixing the sound to fade in and out appropriately from the different speakers in a smooth fashion. Something like this may not require any significant downtime or any other mechanical upgrades.

DMM

It's probably more like the sound systems used in the Subs and Alien Encounter.
    If so, it's not incredibly difficult to implement. Take one ER out and retrofit it, then open it up and retrofit the second one.

• Comin' at ya!

It could but I doubt it will ever happen
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• =)

I think it's entirely conceivable that our mansion would get a similar refurb, particularly if these enhancements go over well on the east coast. I doubt it'll happen immediately, though. We can expect to wait at least a year, I'd say. Perhaps after 2008's HMH?

• Fancy that...

those effects don't sound too expensive and hard to put in at the present state of the DLR HM, but it'll most likely be a while before we get them(it sounds so cool)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

This has kinda been discussed in "The Thread" for a while now, although I haven't heard about the floating voice before...

But what most people are saying is, we got the first few new effects first, then WDW is probably going to get everything at once, and then we'll get the rest depending on how certain effects overall entertain guests. Our Constance right now isn't actually the final product that we're supposed to get.

So we just have to wait a little bit, and see what WDW gets. Then we can basically figure out what we'll get.

There are some rumors that perhaps the Hatbox Ghost will make a return, too...

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    This has kinda been discussed in "The Thread" for a while now, although I haven't heard about the floating voice before...

But what most people are saying is, we got the first few new effects first, then WDW is probably going to get everything at once, and then we'll get the rest depending on how certain effects overall entertain guests. Our Constance right now isn't actually the final product that we're supposed to get.

So we just have to wait a little bit, and see what WDW gets. Then we can basically figure out what we'll get.

There are some rumors that perhaps the Hatbox Ghost will make a return, too...
    I honestly hope we get a really neat mansion. I love ours the way it is, but I'm not going to diss any improvements.

I hope constance looks more real soon... the way she is now she looks dreadfully animatedly fake with my glasses on, but awsome with my glasses off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast