View Poll Results: When is the "best" time to visit Disneyland?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Before Christmas: December 19th to December 23rd

6 26.09%
  • After Christmas: December 27th to December 31st

2 8.70%
  • January: January 1st to January 5th

10 43.48%
  • Don't even bother going!

5 21.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Defying gravity

Red Face January 1st Trip

Ok, it's about time to start planning our annual "Christmas" vacation to Disneyland. Due to my school schedule, I figure the best time for my parents and I to go is after the Christmas rush (hopefully) in January. I figure that Disneyland should still have extended hours and that all of the decorations, entertainment and seasonal attractions should still be up and running.

Am I missing anything obvious? Is going January 1st a bad idea?

*EDIT: Poll added*
    Last edited by VeganPrincess; 08-03-2007 at 01:41 PM.

• Fighter Pilot

Re: January 1st Trip

ok you think that.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

January 1st will be absolutely crazy. Do yourself a favor and don't do it.

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

I suggest going during the school year, like when there IS school. But. I'm a terrible person like that.

Try after the first week of January... can you do that? Or at least not he first or the second. It'll be insane. Trust me, it's not pretty when Disney goes insane. And people are rude.

Is January 1st the only option?

If you want the holiday decorations with slightly less crowds, go the week after Thanksgiving. NOT the weekend. The weekdays. If not, then, yeah, it's insane.

• Defying gravity

Hmmm....ok....well due to my college schedule, I really can't just dash off to Disneyland whenever I want. Another option would be to go sometime between December 18 and December 23rd ish, making it home in time for Christmas. The third option would be to go to DL around December 27th, possibly staying for New Year's Eve. I know it'll be crazy crowded during all of these times. I thought that January would be the lesser of the evils, and hotel rates certainly are less expensive in January.

What about January 6 or 7th ish?

Disneyland really doesn't have an "off season" per se. I've visited during spring break, summer, and the days leading up to Christmas, so I'd like to think that I can handle crowds pretty well.

• Sock Puppet

i am going during the first or second week in january for a week no matter what the crowds because i am just excited to go to DL during the holiday season

I went jan 1 2007 and thought it was going to be packed. It was the greatest day ever. I had been on everything by 2pm . we then went on the 2nd and it was beyond busy. everything was atleast a 75 min wait. everything. I didn't go home upset because i went down with the mindset of it being super busy. I was so greatful for the first..

• A Pirate's life for me!

Well, if you have to follow your college schedule, then you really don't have much of a choice.

If you go anytime bewtwwn Christmas and New Years, it will be packed. That is why DL has those days blocked-out. They know it will be crowded.

If your only other choice is between the 18th and the 23rd, then do that.

The best time is (as already mentioned) the week after T-Day. Anytime other than that will be crowded through the Holiday.

I haven't seen or heard yet, but I would imagine that the Holiday decorations will be down by the monday after the 1st. I think it's the 7th.

Don't count on the extended hours or Holiday events lasting much after that.

Good luck!

• Knight that says Nee!!

You actually don't have my preferred choice up there. IMO the best time to go is the first to second week in December. You get the holiday decorations with out the holiday crowds. The closer to the holiday you get, the more crowded the park gets. We have gone between December 3 and no later than the 10th for the past 5 years and never had any real large crowds and still enjoyed the holiday spirit and decorations.

We've been to DL for New Year's Day two years in a row now and its not "INSANE", but its not quiet at all!! It's fun to see the park decked out for Christmas! I think the first week of January will be ok. Just expect moderate crowds and longish lines. But its not "INSANE" I didn't think.

The last day of our stay this January (the 4th) was a Thursday and the crowds definitely picked up. But not something CRAZY and miserable to avoid or anything! I'm from Utah and being out of state and not being able to go to the park at the drop of a hat or able to always be able to plan trips during the quietest and best times, I think January 1st is a great time to visit! It's nice and cool too!

• Defying gravity

Wow, I feel really stupid. I just realized that I have a deluxe, not premium AP, which means blackout dates. This is our first year with a deluxe so I totally forgot! I guess January is our only option then....unless we had a super short trip (factoring in an 800 mile commute) leaving December 17th and staying until December 22nd when the blackout days kick in.

• Banned User

As stated in another thread, AVOID DL between Dec. 27 and Jan. 1. Rose Bowl fans will flock there in droves.

• Minion

We go every year between Christmas and New Years. New Years day is actually not bad if the Rose Bowl is playing. The day after the Rose Bowl is hectic again, and then its "not bad" again. Yes, the 27-1st is hectic, BUT its fun. People are happy. A totally different crowd than the capacity crowds in the summer.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    As stated in another thread, AVOID DL between Dec. 27 and Jan. 1. Rose Bowl fans will flock there in droves.
    Wow, good point. I didn't even think about that.

Well, since to my temporary brain failure in remembering blackout dates, it appears we will, indeed, going on January 1st or 2nd. Wish us luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast