Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Adventures by Disney tour: "Backstage Magic"

Back in July, Al Lutz mentioned in a Miceage article a plan for new Adventures by Disney tour iteneraries to go "backstage" at Disneyland to see how the rides work and all of the secret stuff they hide back there. It appears Al was right as Adventures by Disney has just released a new tour for 2008 called..... wait for it..... Backstage Magic!

The tour is described on the Adventures by Disney site thusly; "Enjoy VIP treatment when you visit legendary Hollywood landmarks, see how the magic is made at Walt Disney Imagineering, eat lunch on the lot at Walt Disney Studios, and get a peek behind the fantasy at the Disneyland? Resort."

There are 39 separate 5-night tour dates newly being offered, beginning in April, 2008 and going through early 2009. The first tour is still 8 months away, and no word yet on official pricing. But how many locals would take an Adventures by Disney tour here in SoCal to see that sort of stuff? And what is the most you would pay?

I might do it for 100 bucks or so. But realize I have no desire to see the slimy and grimy streets of Hollywood, and I've already wandered around the grounds of the Disney Studios once before. But then I'm a local and would only be interested in the WDI and Disneyland parts of the tour, and I bet those are just a few hours at each of those two locations.

Something tells me though that the price tag for these 5 night tours is well north of a thousand dollars per person. I'm imagining a price tag of perhaps $1,800 for adults for this thing. And you probably have to go to Hollywood too with a perky tour guide running defense against hookers and stinky panhandlers.

Okay, now that I think about it, I might pay extra just to see a perky Disney tour guide try to deal with the street trash and scary environs of Hollywood while happily pointing out the sights and hoping no one in her tour group gets mugged. http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/i...NewItineraries

• "I Break Things"

Re: New Adventures by Disney tour: "Backstage Magic"

I know some of the guides so I'll ask about it. About the only place I would want to go is Archives... and I highly doubt they will take you there. As to backstage areas, I think Roundhouse might be possible but not sure where else they would plan on taking anyone.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• =)

If it takes you through the southwest areas of Disneyland's backstage--anything in that swath from Indy to Splash, really--I'd be willing to save up and pay quite a bit. If it takes you through other parts of backstage...yeah, I'd still save up and pay quite a bit. The other stuff...meh. I can go to Hollywood on my own, you know?

• Picturing the Magic

ooo, sounds like it would be a very fun tour, minus the hollywood part...I hated walking down hollywood when I went

(Sign up and search "Splashmoun10")

I use a Nikon D50 with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens and a Zoom-Nikkor 70-300m f/4-f/5.6 G

Check out my latest TR (August 4th---August 11th) at Disneyworld!

Check out my latest TR (January 4th) at Disneyland!

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    If it takes you through the southwest areas of Disneyland's backstage--anything in that swath from Indy to Splash, really--I'd be willing to save up and pay quite a bit. If it takes you through other parts of backstage...yeah, I'd still save up and pay quite a bit. The other stuff...meh. I can go to Hollywood on my own, you know?

Will they be taking you past the Indy Cast Member smoking area next to the CNG compressor?

Or the Westside Diner under the pirates building?
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Kevin's a girl?

I'd want to give the tour a spin. I love looking backstage. Although it kills the magic. But I don't mind.

We're always having fun in the Fun and Games Lounge. Care to visit us?

• Defying gravity

Hmmm....this is really interesting. It seems that the whole point of Adventures by Disney was to break away from traditional Disney theme parks and such, hence visits to France, Italy, etc. However, since the program hasn't been doing very well, it appears that Disney is going back to its roots.

It's not a good idea to take guests backstage where many CMs congregate cause we don't actually behave "Disney"-like when we're backstage.

Then again, we don't really do that onstage either.

• =)

It's not a good idea to take guests backstage where many CMs congregate cause we don't actually behave "Disney"-like when we're backstage.

Then again, we don't really do that onstage either.
    Now there's a great outlook on modern-day cast membership! Two questions--shouldn't the cast members be heading backstage either to take short breaks or for business reasons rather than for mere "congregating," and wouldn't it be possible to alert CMs that a single tour would be heading through such-and-such areas at 3:00 pm? They could just schedule their breaks around that or decide to be in-character for the couple of minutes when guests are walking by.

Will they be taking you past the Indy Cast Member smoking area next to the CNG compressor?

Or the Westside Diner under the pirates building?
    How about both? Honestly, I don't really care which as long as I get to see the exteriors of the ride buildings. Call me whatever you want, but do you realize that I've had dreams about walking up to the Haunted Mansion show building, realizing that I've forgotten my camera, going back to get it, then waking up just before I arrive at a particularly interesting door or ladder? I'm not even joking.

...yup, I'm a geek. So what?

I will definitely be interested in the details of this tour. I am sure it will be quite expensive. I am sure it includes the hotel accomodations (it is a 6 day 5 night tour) and such. Will wait and see.
    The Mur

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Now there's a great outlook on modern-day cast membership! Two questions--shouldn't the cast members be heading backstage either to take short breaks or for business reasons rather than for mere "congregating,"
    We do go backstage for breaks and business reasons. But guess what? There are parts of backstage where you can find lots of CMs at once. East of Main Street is where I was thinking of... you have Inn Between, parade staging, and what amounts to the path from Harbor Pointe to the hub, along with what else we have back here.

and wouldn't it be possible to alert CMs that a single tour would be heading through such-and-such areas at 3:00 pm?
    It would be the responsibility of the area/location managers to spread the word to the foot soldiers, who wouldn't care anyway.

They could just schedule their breaks around that
    Not a chance in hell.

or decide to be in-character for the couple of minutes when guests are walking by.
    Not a chance in hell.

yippie tours of backstage.... were you can see the pavement ,the back side of green show buildings, dumpsters and trash compactors. I have a feeling this will be in the wee morning hours before opening or after closing....... can Rasulo leave already....

• Long Distance Imagineer

If it included a tour of HM, Pirates, Space Mtn, and as someone else posted, the Morgue at the studios, that would definitely be cool. I went to an Imagineer It class about 11 years ago and it was well worth the price I paid back then. And that was just one class for an afternoon. It will be interesting to see what they do with a multi-day thing. I would, however, be willing to pay a little extra for it, if I can see it will be worth it.

I'll also say, though, I live in AZ and don't get to CA that often.

This is what Disney has made available right now.

Enjoy VIP treatment when you visit legendary Hollywood landmarks, see how the magic is made at Walt Disney Imagineering, eat lunch on the lot at the Walt Disney Studios, and get a peak behind the fantasy at the Disneyland Resort.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Destination Hightlights
    Los Angeles, Hollywood, Disneyland Resort

Here is the schedule.

Value Season
    Apr 08 - Apr 13 May 06 - May 11 Sep 23 - Sep 28 Nov 18 - Nov 23
    Apr 15 - Apr 20 May 13 - May 18 Oct 21 - Oct 26 Dec 02 - Dec 07
    Apr 22 - Apr 27 May 20 - May 25 Oct 28 - Nov 02 Dec 09 - Dec 14*
    Apr 29 - May 04* Sep 16 - Sep 21* Nov 04 - Nov 09 Dec 16 - Dec 21

Standard Season
    May 27 - Jun 01 Aug 26 - Aug 31 Sep 09 - Sep 14
    Jun 03 - Jun 08 Sep 02 - Sep 07

Peak Season
    Jun 08 - Jun 13 Jul 06 - Jul 11 Aug 03 - Aug 08 Dec 21 - Dec 26
    Jun 17 - Jun 22 Jul 13 - Jul 18 Aug 12 - Aug 17 Dec 28 - Jan 02
    Jun 22 - Jun 27 Jul 20 - Jul 25 Aug 17 - Aug 22
    Jun 29 - Jul 04 Jul 27 - Aug 01 Nov 23 - Nov 28

Terms & Conditions: Credit card deposit of $300 per person reserves your space on a 2008 vacation prior to final pricing and itinerary details. Your deposit must be received prior to August 31, 2007 and is fully refundable until 14 days after we publish, and notify you of our final pricing and itinerary details. You must notify us if you decide to cancel, in which case our sole obligation is to credit your deposit to your credit card. Conditions and restrictions apply and availability is limited. We strongly recommend that you do not make any non-cancelable commitments (such as airfare) until your 2008 reservation is finalized.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    The tour is described on the Adventures by Disney site thusly; "Enjoy VIP treatment when you visit legendary Hollywood landmarks, see how the magic is made at Walt Disney Imagineering, eat lunch on the lot at Walt Disney Studios, and get a peek behind the fantasy at the Disneyland? Resort."
    Who thinks up this stuff? The same folks taking away the Disney Gallery for that lameass YoMD promotion? Unbelievable.

Hollywood landmarks? My brother lived near the Hollywood Bowl for almost two decades. I've seen enough of Hollywood Blvd. to last two lifetimes.

See how the "magic" is made at WDI? Will that include ringside seats to the Weis-Rasulo Budget Cut SmackDown?

Eat lunch at the Disney Studios Commissary? Will an appetizer and 18% gratuity be included?

And get a "peek behind the fantasy" at the Disneyland Resort? Not Disneyland Park? That could be risky. The mildewed maintenance room for the defunct Fantasy Waters show at DLH would technically qualify.

Is there anything in the Disney Universe that's not for sale for the "right price"?

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast