Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Haunted Mansion Loading Area

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    Why don't they put somthing like what they have at Phantom Manor where its a Grand Staircase?
    I'm tired of hearing people ask for the Grand Staircase from Phantom Manor. At Disneyland, our Doom Buggies are actually climbing a Grand Staircase. Unfortunately, this concept is lost on so many because the showscene is so dark, that its not quite obvious that you're ascending a staircase at all.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I'm tired of hearing people ask for the Grand Staircase from Phantom Manor. At Disneyland, our Doom Buggies are actually climbing a Grand Staircase. Unfortunately, this concept is lost on so many because the showscene is so dark, that its not quite obvious that you're ascending a staircase at all.
    *gasp* We agree on something for once. LOL I guess Disney could always add to that section to make it more obvious you're going up stais (a handrailing that turns into a snake?). But, mreh, I like it the way it is just fine. If people can't realize they're "walking" up stairs when they see and feel themselves going up then something's seriously wrong with the world.

...Joe...

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    I guess they messed it up for safety. Originally it was very dark with a boundless mist. With the extra lighting, you can see the dimensions of the room, so I agree, it should get some sort of super expensive and dramatic treatment.
    Light where we don't want it, to dark where we need light.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    *gasp* We agree on something for once. LOL I guess Disney could always add to that section to make it more obvious you're going up stais (a handrailing that turns into a snake?). But, mreh, I like it the way it is just fine. If people can't realize they're "walking" up stairs when they see and feel themselves going up then something's seriously wrong with the world.

...Joe...
    Actually, now that I think of it, I don't know how much more obvious it could really be. People just don't pay attention... I mean if they can't pay attention when the Ghost Host is speaking, then I'm not too surprised that they can't even pay attention to a simple set design element that they pass by at such a close proximity.

| | |

• All You Need is Love!

If anyone has the Jason Surrell book about the Haunted Mansion, then look on page 131. On the bottom left you will see concept art for a new load area and the description says that it is an elaborate redesign of the looad area.

For people that don't own the book, the picture shows the doom buggies with a gigantic window behind them. Thru the window you see a violent storm with dead trees waving in the wind. Also visible in the window is a large black carriage with a ghost horse infront of it. I would guess that it would pass every few minutes. The scene looks very impressive.

Unfortunatlly, my scanner dosn't work. So, if anyone has this book please scan this pic for everyone to see! I've been searching all over online and can't find it.
    (\_/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination

• Disney worshipper/geek

Didn't there used to be a big 'ole spider in that area? I'm just glad that's gone. I'm deathly afraid of spiders (Even fake ones)
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• Lowering Expectations

The suggestions for alternate scenes for the loading area are intriguing, but I think this is an instance of "less is more" (or perhaps, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"). Guests seem to be distracted enough, and the CM barks out instructions for boarding the doombuggies loudly enough, as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress1986 View Post
    Didn't there used to be a big 'ole spider in that area?
    There was, and I'm glad it is gone because it wasn't convincing at all.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Well, there is...but it's a practical one, not a thematic one. That wall hides the Disneyland Railroad from your eyes--and methinks that having it run through there every few minutes would be quite disturbing to the theming.
    Actually, you might have hit on something there...

If you could put one-way windows into the railroad that were frosted, or something similar so that you would see the train go by in a ghostly fashion might be rather interesting... a ghost train. I used to have nightmares like that.

Of course, you then spoil the illusion for everyone who rides the train... and it really doesn't go with the rest of the mansion, so it is really out "the window". [pun unintentional, but left anyway].

It would be a cool effect, though, possibly for another attraction in possibly another park. Just keep it in the back of out heads for now.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

I have a great idea for this area, and best of all -- It's CHEAP!!

TURN THE LIGHTS DOWN!!! **WAY** DOWN!

It urks me that they are so bright. everytime I go there, I recall how dark it used to be from my childhood. You used to hardly be able to see where you were walking.. it was great. Anyone else recall this?

Anyway.. must have been the lawyers that ruined that spooky goodness.
    Ryborg

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    If anyone has the Jason Surrell book about the Haunted Mansion, then look on page 131. On the bottom left you will see concept art for a new load area and the description says that it is an elaborate redesign of the looad area.

For people that don't own the book, the picture shows the doom buggies with a gigantic window behind them. Thru the window you see a violent storm with dead trees waving in the wind. Also visible in the window is a large black carriage with a ghost horse infront of it. I would guess that it would pass every few minutes. The scene looks very impressive.

Unfortunatlly, my scanner dosn't work. So, if anyone has this book please scan this pic for everyone to see! I've been searching all over online and can't find it.
    I actually posted this image on these boards a long time ago in another Haunted Mansion thread....

| | |

• Frrrrrrunkis~!

Someone suggested a re-creation of the library from WDW, and I think that's a good idea. It would be an easy way to give the room a little substance without having to do a complete overhaul on it.

• Producer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris uses a 1 floor version of Disneyland's layout. When you exit their stretcing room, you walk down a hallway with changing portraits on both sides. At the end where the hall turns right, you see a portrait of the beautiful Bride who lives in that manor. You turn the corner to the loading area and it looks like a finished part of the house (the two busts that watch you are each in a niche on the wall). On the other side of the Doom Bugies is the grand staircase. You have a window and you see there's lightning (nice lighting effects here).
    the more i find out about phantom manor, the more i find that it somehow tapped into my hopes and dreams, unbeknownst to myself, and made them real.

[quote=Datameister;2024234]Anyway, you enter the house at the corner, not the front doors...you enter a small foyer that sports an atypical lack of stairs...you enter a rare octagonal gallery with no doors or windows...you walk along a second-floor hallway, despite the fact you never went upwards...you enter a dark area with no explicit theming...then you go up a flight of stairs, which would put us in the third story now. We go through another long hallway that has doors on both sides, though we must be close to the edge of the house because there's a conservatory that looks out into the yard...we enter a seance room and then a ballroom, where our third-story position turns out to only account for half the house's height...and then we enter an attic without going up any stairs or dumbwaiters or anything...followed by a random hill that leads down from a balcony outside the attic...and then we enter a huge crypt complex that is apparently a multilevel structure with openings at both ends and a ramp! If you analyze things too much (my specialty!), the logic of the mansion breaks down.[quote]

babyfirefly told me that in one of the disney books, it explains that the reason why we inexplicably go backwards down a hill is because storywise, you're supposed to have just jumped out of the window (which may also explain the sudden rotation on the incline [which cracks my back every single time!]). the sound of crashing glass might help further that notion. imagine how well this and other effects would work if the doombuggies weren't all moving at the same rate?

regarding the mansion's logic, i've noticed this before and i rather like the idea that the house is totally misaligned and crazy. it reminds me of the book wayside school is falling down, in which, wayside school is completely topsy-turvy and illogical. i like to imagine how these suspensions of logic might be further incorporated into the ride when i'm in a doombuggy.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    As for your post, Data..., illogical things are what make the HM timeless. What seems illogical to us mere mortals would be perfectly natural to spirits and ghosts on The Other Side. I mean, really, how logical is it to be able to walk through walls, fly through the air without wings, and have tombstones bobbing up and down?
    i completely agree but it's a fine line between illogicalities one's mind will accept, and others one's mind will reject.

for example, though we might readily accept grim, grinning ghosts coming out to socialize, we might not necessarily accept that a large black wall is is a boundless void.

It's not a swamp at all. From The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies book, describing the Load Area (Limbo):
    "Guests proceed into a 'limbo of boundless mist and decay,' at least according to The Story and Song from The Haunted Mansion, a record album released in 1969."

Surrell, Page 61

(Bold mine)

Yes, the Load Area, which is also referred to as "Limbo," is a supernatural limbo.
    i got that storybook and record off ebay for 99 cents. the notion of a limbo would be furthered by the incorporation of fog machines and subtle green lighting in the tunnel from which the buggies emerge, though i can imagine complications in controlling the fog.

regarding the staircase, isn't it quite visible at the left-hand side of the doombuggy, beginning where the second cm waits? i seem to recall that...

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    The suggestions for alternate scenes for the loading area are intriguing, but I think this is an instance of "less is more" (or perhaps, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"). Guests seem to be distracted enough, and the CM barks out instructions for boarding the doombuggies loudly enough, as it is.
    in my imaginary retooling of the loading area as a portrait gallery, i also imagined very low voices coming from different parts of the mansion, almost subliminally - nothing loud, something that might not even be noticed initially. more creepy and atmospheric than loud and obvious. people forget that silence is scary, especially when combined with complete inescapable darkness. that's limbo.

right now, i'm thinking maybe they could incorporate projections onto the wall, something more effective than those ghosts on the walls in the seance room (which aren't projections, i know). i keep thinking of that scene in the witches of eastwick where jack nicholson looks into the windows of their house, and he's gigantic, his face is two stories tall and is visible through the windows of their dining room. doesn't really tie in, but something of that scale is very possible in this area.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by dpdilla View Post
    babyfirefly told me that in one of the disney books, it explains that the reason why we inexplicably go backwards down a hill is because storywise, you're supposed to have just jumped out of the window (which may also explain the sudden rotation on the incline [which cracks my back every single time!]). the sound of crashing glass might help further that notion. imagine how well this and other effects would work if the doombuggies weren't all moving at the same rate?
    Yup. Again, from Jason Surrell's Haunted Mansion book:

"After passing the lovelorn bride, the Doom Buggies 'fall' out an attic window (though guests are still safely inside the show building), all under the watchful, glowing red eyes of the Raven perched in a nearby tree. "
    Page 81

the notion of a limbo would be furthered by the incorporation of fog machines and subtle green lighting in the tunnel from which the buggies emerge, though i can imagine complications in controlling the fog.
    I'm assuming the reason a heavy fog effect isn't used is precisely the reason you noted - controlling it. A green fog/mist projection, however, is used in the Load Area, though, to convey the notion of the mysterious emptiness that is Limbo.

regarding the staircase, isn't it quite visible at the left-hand side of the doombuggy, beginning where the second cm waits? i seem to recall that...
    I've always noticed the staircase banisters, myself, but I know quite a few people don't. The concept of ascending the stair's to the Mansion's second story is lost on a vast majority of people. Just as many people don't realize that they are exiting the attic and "falling" down the side of the Mansion into the outdoor graveyard, many simply don't know there's any explaination to the upward climb the Buggies take after they initially board them.

| | |

You aren't supposed to be falling out the attic window. The Doom Buggy is simply descending a staircase leading into the graveyard. The railing can be clearly seen.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Sorry, Data... I don't mean to pick on your post... but I was perusing Surrell's book, and found an excerpt that may help clarify some of your confusion about the Mansion's layout...

Anyway, you enter the house at the corner, not the front doors...you enter a small foyer that sports an atypical lack of stairs...you enter a rare octagonal gallery with no doors or windows...you walk along a second-floor hallway, despite the fact you never went upwards...you enter a dark area with no explicit theming...then you go up a flight of stairs, which would put us in the third story now.
    Here's an except from Jason Surrell's ever-useful and informative reader, that clairifies that the Foyer, Stretching Gallery, Hallway to Limbo, and Load Area are all on the first floor of the Mansion, and the Endless Hallway, Corridor of Doors, Seance Circle, Attic etc are on the second level:
    "Arriving on the 'second floor,' the Doom Buggies rotate slightly to point guests down what appears to be an endless hallway."
    Page 64

We go through another long hallway that has doors on both sides, though we must be close to the edge of the house because there's a conservatory that looks out into the yard...we enter a seance room and then a ballroom, where our third-story position turns out to only account for half the house's height...and then we enter an attic without going up any stairs or dumbwaiters or anything...followed by a random hill that leads down from a balcony outside the attic...and then we enter a huge crypt complex that is apparently a multilevel structure with openings at both ends and a ramp! If you analyze things too much (my specialty!), the logic of the mansion breaks down.
    You're right that the conservatory is unaccounted for on the Mansion's outside facade.

As for the Ballroom, when we are passing along the Ballroom, we are actually on the second level (not the third) of the Mansion, and we're looking down on the Ballroom/Dining Room, which is, naturally, on the first floor of the house.

Incidentally, and oddly enough, though, the Attic is on the second level of the Mansion, since the Buggies do not climb any higher after viewing the Ballroom.

This is interesting because, generally speaking, the attic would be in a cramped third level of the house. As it is now, the attic is more or less in what is basically just an extra room on the second floor with exposed rafters.

So really, the Mansion only has two stories, not three, and it has no real attic to speak of.

Also, as for the graveyard, you're supposed to be entering an outdoor graveyard at night after exiting the Attic window - not a huge crypt complex. You do enter a crypt, however, at the far end of the Graveyard. And there, inside the crypt, you encounter the hitchhiking ghosts. Then, you flee your Buggies and exit the crypt into the "Living World" after your encounter with the Hitchhiking Ghosts. Somehow, and inexplicably, though, your crypt was underground, and you must escape by ascending a moving ramp that takes you back to ground level. This part of the attraction is actually quite jarring, but there isn't much that can be done to fix the issue.

Did any of that make any sense?
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 08-04-2007 at 01:46 AM.

| | |

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast