Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Producer Extraordinaire

Re: Haunted Mansion Loading Area

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Yup. Again, from Jason Surrell's Haunted Mansion book:

"After passing the lovelorn bride, the Doom Buggies 'fall' out an attic window (though guests are still safely inside the show building), all under the watchful, glowing red eyes of the Raven perched in a nearby tree. "

Page 81

I'm assuming the reason a heavy fog effect isn't used is precisely the reason you noted - controlling it. A green fog/mist projection, however, is used in the Load Area, though, to convey the notion of the mysterious emptiness that is Limbo.
    2 things:

1: i'm getting surrell's books on amazon right now, god knows why i haven't gotten them already.

2: i thought i dreamt up the green mist idea. unrelated, but there's a secluded and very dark stretch of woods in the city with a windy 2 way road (that leads to heaven for the occasional drunk driver unfortunately) within my city. it gets very foggy and people call it "green mist" because they swear it's green late at night.

at any rate, it's a very british, hammer-horror thing to do. maybe it could be enhanced slightly?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by dpdilla View Post
    2 things:

1: i'm getting surrell's books on amazon right now, god knows why i haven't gotten them already.

2: i thought i dreamt up the green mist idea. unrelated, but there's a secluded and very dark stretch of woods in the city with a windy 2 way road (that leads to heaven for the occasional drunk driver unfortunately) within my city. it gets very foggy and people call it "green mist" because they swear it's green late at night.

at any rate, it's a very british, hammer-horror thing to do. maybe it could be enhanced slightly?

Yes, the Surrell books are HIGHLY recommended. They're really great reads and excellent resources in discussions like these. Be sure to get the Pirates one as well, and be pre-order his upcoming release - "Imagineering at its Peak" - it's all about Disney's various "mountains."

As for the green mist - you weren't dreaming it up. It's more or less the same green mist they project on various parts of scrim in the graveyard, except in the Load Area, it's just projected onto the black wall. If the lighting is just right in the Load Area, the effect comes off decently enough... but other times it just looks like a waste of effort.

And creepy tidbit about the "green mist" road in your city. Wouldn't want to drive that late at night!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

While I understand that the lawyers certainly made Dland brighten up the room, there could have been a happy medium compromise made. In the old days it was so dark in there that as a Child I truly believed if you stepped of the walkway after leaving the hallway of portraits on the way to the doombuggy load platform that you would seriously fall into a abyss or something. you could not see the black floors on the sides of the carpeted area. Now it is just insanely bright in there, lights every few feet. They could have increased the lighting about 30% instead of 200%. But no doubt people sued for either real or fake injuries, and Disney had to change it due to large settlements and payouts. I do hope they can rework the load scene to reflect the lighting change because it does take away from the show in my opinion. YOu have a huge area now wasted for load in with nothing interesting going on in the background.

• The Twilight Zone

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    You aren't supposed to be falling out the attic window. The Doom Buggy is simply descending a staircase leading into the graveyard. The railing can be clearly seen.
    I'm not sure if I read this in another thread or a book but one of the ideas is that the bride pushes you out the window or your reliving how she died (the old bride) and you die. And thats why the caretaker stares right at you scared. Basically you are now a ghost and he sees you as a ghost.

• I'm not really here

I've always liked the HM loading area. The mist floating past, the creepy feel when the howling starts. The room feels much bigger than you can see and that makes it even creepier, wondering what things might be lurking in the unseen shadows. Wondering what might be out there, living in that misty, murky night. The room is cool and humid giving it almost a dank smell and a feel of decay, that cold breath of death almost. All of the cobwebs around only build on this feeling of decay.

I do think there are some cool ideas on here though about how to plus it up another notch or two, but I love it as it is as well. For me the creepiest and scariest part of the ride was the Stretching Gallery followed by the corridor of paintings. The ride was no problem, it was those first two scenes. If the third scene (loading platform) could ratchet up that feeling of unease and ghostliness once more before the ride, I think that would be awesome. I mean think about the first scenes you see: A dark staircase on which anything could be hiding (usually a CM to make sure your lap bar is down), the hallway with the doors and sounds of monsters, the demon clock, conservatory. The creepiest scenes are right at the start, then it gets more playful and fun.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

What if they changed the floor to being frosted Plexiglas that could be illuminated with misty lights from below? They could lower the remaining light in the room, because the floor now illuminates itself. Meanwhile, you give a very creepy vibe to the place, if the right effects and lighting were done underneath.

I am sure the Imagineers could come up with some great creepy effects for that area that are not cheesy and provide just enough light for the safety aspects as well.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    You aren't supposed to be falling out the attic window. The Doom Buggy is simply descending a staircase leading into the graveyard. The railing can be clearly seen.
    That's incorrect. That railing isn't indicating that you're descending a staircase (if so, why would you be descending it backwards?) - that railing is just another lawyer-approved saftey feature for guests to be used during evacuations, etc. Afterall, why would any house have a staircase from the attic to the outside ground level? That just doesn't make any sense.

When you exit the attic, you're "falling" out of the window, down the side of the Mansion.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 08-04-2007 at 11:06 AM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Closed Account

I haven't ridden HM enough times when it wasn't HMH to pass complete judgement on this, but from what I can remember the entry area does seem a big underutilzed. I loved the concept art of the huge window. It could be a great place for some really neat special effects with things appearing and disappearing. You could have ghosts that appered outside and then were suddenly inside. If it wasn't to cheap and hokey looking, they could have some kind of a take on the ToT effect where guests preparing to board would see other guests in their doom buggies and then they dissapear into a mist and the doom buggies re-emerge empty.
    Even if there is some fog effect in place right now, I don't think the majority of guests notice it. It would be great it the very beginning of the ride could have that 'awe' factor.

• Travel-Sized Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by bytemaster View Post
    What if they changed the floor to being frosted Plexiglas that could be illuminated with misty lights from below? They could lower the remaining light in the room, because the floor now illuminates itself. Meanwhile, you give a very creepy vibe to the place, if the right effects and lighting were done underneath.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought of that. ^^; Hmm...either that, or... some kind of scary looking, decorative statues of griffins/dragons/lions/what have you to put along the walkway path, with an irridecent green glow coming from their mouths, directed at the floor, so it lights the floorway path up just enough, but doesn't deract from the atmosphere of the room?

• =)

As for your post, Data..., illogical things are what make the HM timeless. What seems illogical to us mere mortals would be perfectly natural to spirits and ghosts on The Other Side. I mean, really, how logical is it to be able to walk through walls, fly through the air without wings, and have tombstones bobbing up and down? Not very in the mortal world. But to ghosts (at least in Disneyland) it's an everyday occurance! Very logical to me. (And yes, I know that's what you were driving at. I just wanted to expand on it a bit.)
    Absolutely.

If you could put one-way windows into the railroad that were frosted, or something similar so that you would see the train go by in a ghostly fashion might be rather interesting... a ghost train. I used to have nightmares like that.
    Actually, that could be very cool! I like the idea. If the Imagineers could work out a way to make it look really convincing, I'd totally support it.

As for the Ballroom, when we are passing along the Ballroom, we are actually on the second level (not the third) of the Mansion, and we're looking down on the Ballroom/Dining Room, which is, naturally, on the first floor of the house.
    Let me explain my reasoning. You start out in the foyer--the first floor. You exit the stretching room, somehow ending up on the second floor. (This one is debatable--but to me, the scenery outside the portrait hall has always looked like we're supposed to be above it, not at its level. Check out the dead treetops.) Then we go up a staircase in the Doombuggies--up to the third floor. The end of the seance room carries us upward half a floor, and we end up overlooking the ballroom, with half of it below and half of it above. Math tells us that if there are 3.5 stories below us, there should be 3.5 stories above us, too. That adds up to 7-ish stories. And then the "attic" is on the third of fourth floor, with more stuff above it, since the Doombuggies never go up to the attic--they just turn a corner.

Anyway, I'm NOT trying to put down the mansion. I love the occasional spurts of illogic.

Also, as for the graveyard, you're supposed to be entering an outdoor graveyard at night after exiting the Attic window - not a huge crypt complex. You do enter a crypt, however, at the far end of the Graveyard. And there, inside the crypt, you encounter the hitchhiking ghosts. Then, you flee your Buggies and exit the crypt into the "Living World" after your encounter with the Hitchhiking Ghosts. Somehow, and inexplicably, though, your crypt was underground, and you must escape by ascending a moving ramp that takes you back to ground level. This part of the attraction is actually quite jarring, but there isn't much that can be done to fix the issue.
    Sorry, I must have phrased it poorly. I wasn't trying to call the graveyard a "crypt complex"--I was talking about the HHG crypt, which then becomes the exit crypt. You're right that it's jarring, but this one makes a little more sense...although it's hard to see, the edges of the graveyard terrain go upward. If we extrapolated that upward slope all the way to the in-park exit, it'd kind of make sense that the crypt's two openings are at different levels--the whole thing is built into a hill. The only part that is atypical is the sheer size of the thing.

• Minion

what about this for an idea for the loading area..the big black wallas we know it.becomes a view into a big swirling mass of mist with with lightnihng and thunder, we faintly hear madame leotas voice from the seiance room..with the ghost host motioning you to you buggy and reciteing the dialouge..and fadeing into the mist..

• "I Break Things"

I'm only about halfway through here and already I've read about a swamp, staircase, supernatural limbo... this things reads like Jerry Garcia's lyrics! I would love to see a double staircase with candles that appear to float because you can't see the wall. On the second story have portraits on the wall, also an opportunity to have doors randomly open or close... pictures tilt for no reason, or sudden "footsteps". I would also love to have specific air cannon type bursts while you walk along the gallery to send "chills" as you walk!

And Trojan took my signature.... @#$%?!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• =)

I would also love to have specific air cannon type bursts while you walk along the gallery to send "chills" as you walk!
    Me too, but only if the technology is silent.

• Minion

i would put speakers in the doom buggies,so certain things could be heard around you at any time...whispers and such..almost subliminal if you will...

• Fancy that...

yeah, that never realy made sence to me (you just enter the house and then there is a hallway and then all of a sudden BAM porch at the loading station) and then most of the mansion could be a lot more mansion like(the first hallway scene has an oddly high ceiling(sp) and the seance circle is just black walls) i still love it though

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast