Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Producer Extraordinaire

Re: Haunted Mansion Loading Area

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    i would put speakers in the doom buggies,so certain things could be heard around you at any time...whispers and such..almost subliminal if you will...
    i've never been rephrased so ... elliptically ...

... and there are speakers ...

... in the ...

... doombuggie ...

... s.

• =)

the first hallway scene has an oddly high ceiling
    I just noticed this on my last trip. The ceiling is twelve feet high, but the themed walls only extend upward for perhaps eight feet. There's blackness beyond, and it looks weird.

• Genteel Amphibian

As for the walkways I think they are way too bright, isn't there some technology where the lights are directed at only certain spots, say polarization and the light doesn’t bounce off and light the room, just the pathway. Then the candles could be just eerily glowing. (I too remember it being darker.)

And there was a discussion of floors in the mansion… when you enter the foyers that would be the ground floor, and from my understanding, you aren’t supposed to realize the portrait gallery is an elevator I think it was used functionally to get you under the berm, and you’re supposed to think your still on the ground floor, down a narrow hallway. At least that’s what I think.

• =)

from my understanding, you aren’t supposed to realize the portrait gallery is an elevator
    Agreed. There are folks who figure it out and folks who don't, but I believe the impression you're supposed to have is that the ceiling went up and you stayed put. That's how it always seemed to me when I was young.

you’re supposed to think your still on the ground floor, down a narrow hallway.
    But like I said before, take a close look through the windows in the portrait hall. It's rather difficult to see too much--which makes sense, since there ain't a whole lot out there--but from the appearance of the treetops and the lack of a visible ground plane, I'd say it looks like we're on the second floor. Surrell even describes the view as "overlooking a moonlit landscape," which sounds more like a view from above than a view from ground level.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Surrell even describes the view as "overlooking a moonlit landscape," which sounds more like a view from above than a view from ground level.
    Surrell also says that you arrive on the "second floor" of the Mansion once you climb the stairs after boarding your Buggies.

Once again, from page 64:

THE ENDLESS HALLWAY
    "Every room has wall-to-wall creeps and hot and cold running chills..."

Arriving on the "second floor," the Doom Buggies rotate slightly to point guests down what appears to be an endless hallway.

This clearly proves that the Endless Hallway, Corridor of Doors, Seance Circle, etc are all on the second level, NOT the third. And thus, the Hallway to Limbo and Load area are on the same level as the Foyer and the Stretching Gallery - the first floor.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• :)

pictures?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Guests seem to be distracted enough, and the CM barks out instructions for boarding the doombuggies loudly enough, as it is.
    And do you know how many guests still don't hear us?
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• =)

and do you know how many guests still don't hear us?
    Far too many.

Surrell also says that you arrive on the "second floor" of the Mansion once you climb the stairs after boarding your Buggies.
    This clearly proves that the Endless Hallway, Corridor of Doors, Seance Circle, etc are all on the second level, NOT the third. And thus, the Hallway to Limbo and Load area are on the same level as the Foyer and the Stretching Gallery - the first floor.
    Touche. Well, that knocks off one floor of my hypothetical mansion, so we're now down to about five stories. Maybe even four! We're getting closer and closer to the three-story facade!

::doesn't mention that the ballroom set doesn't even fit inside the facade::

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Far too many.

Touche. Well, that knocks off one floor of my hypothetical mansion, so we're now down to about five stories. Maybe even four! We're getting closer and closer to the three-story facade!

::doesn't mention that the ballroom set doesn't even fit inside the facade::
    I only count about 2.5 floors. How do you figure five?

First Floor: Foyer, Gallery, Hallway to Limbo, Load Area, Ballroom floor level.

Second Floor: Endless Hallway, Conservatory, Corridor of Doors, Seance Circle.

Second-and-a-half Floor: Ballroom viewing level, Attic.

I must be missing something??

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Prefect

Blog Entries

I would love to see a little something done with that wall. It's painfully noticeable after the NBC overlay is taken down. I don't think it needs much, but something to add to the creep factor would be welcome.
    <o>

On topic of the hallway, how many houses do you know of that have doors leading outside from the second floor? I've never seen any sign of a Balcony . . . I think it's meant to represent the first floor. As for the treetops, I've always thought of them as bushes.

Maybe it's just me.

-Yensidtlaw1969
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by yensidtlaw1969 View Post
    On topic of the hallway, how many houses do you know of that have doors leading outside from the second floor? I've never seen any sign of a Balcony . . . I think it's meant to represent the first floor. As for the treetops, I've always thought of them as bushes.

Maybe it's just me.

-Yensidtlaw1969
    Wow I would have thought someone would have jumped at this

As clearly seen here it has a balcony!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Wow I would have thought someone would have jumped at this

As clearly seen here it has a balcony!

True enough, there is a balcony here on the house, but it doesn't continue all the way around. When you look out the windows in the hall there is no sign of any sort of Balcony. Thats what I meant in my last post. Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'd assume any balcony on this house would have the lacy iron grille work on it, and there is no trace of it in the Window Diorama.
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

• =)

I only count about 2.5 floors. How do you figure five?

First Floor: Foyer, Gallery, Hallway to Limbo, Load Area, Ballroom floor level.

Second Floor: Endless Hallway, Conservatory, Corridor of Doors, Seance Circle.

Second-and-a-half Floor: Ballroom viewing level, Attic.

I must be missing something??
    When you're at the ballroom viewing level--the 2.5th story--you're only halfway up the height of the ballroom. If there are two stories below you, there ought to be another two above, at least.

True enough, there is a balcony here on the house, but it doesn't continue all the way around. When you look out the windows in the hall there is no sign of any sort of Balcony. Thats what I meant in my last post. Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'd assume any balcony on this house would have the lacy iron grille work on it, and there is no trace of it in the Window Diorama.
    Very good point. It's another inconsistency between the outside and the "inside" of the house.

On topic of the hallway, how many houses do you know of that have doors leading outside from the second floor? I've never seen any sign of a Balcony . . . I think it's meant to represent the first floor.
    But you have the same problem with the corridor of doors. On the right as you travel backwards, there are doors and a clear view outside via the conservatory. There "could" be a balcony outside that particular area, since there are no windows, but that'd be a weird configuration with the conservatory. Anyway, my point was that the same problem exists with an area which we know to be on the "second floor."

When you get right down to it, the heart of the problem is that we're not supposed to think about either door--they're both utilitarian. The one in the portrait hall is an emergency exit that leads up two sets of underground stairs and emerges in the extended queue, at the bottom of a trench, in the middle of some crypts, with the escape route running past the FastPass area and out into NOS. One of the ones in the CoD is an emergency exit, too. This one is exceedingly short, and it opens to backstage outside just a few feet behind the right wall of the CoD, right next to the west chiller plant. Boy, what a change of pace that must be for anyone who goes through that passage...you go from a creepy, darkly lit hallway filled with rattling knockers and pounding fists and eerie yells, and then emerge in broad daylight, with the berm's retaining wall to your left, two rather large and violently purple towers ahead, and a number of industrial-looking facilities nearby. I've got to do that before I die.

• Minion

well since the mansion as a whole seems to be another demension..i have another idea for the loading area..the black wall could have the widnow looking onto the grave yard..as some have said...but give ita little touch of what the gave yard in the ride is..a few ghosts flying through the sky some big lightning and thunder effects and the trees almost looking alive..,maybe even a crow or two flying by the window...,and make the loading area ..very very cold.......

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast