• Minion

Random DL Thoughts for Today - CMs swearing, IASW jam, others

I have some thoughts from my most recent DLR trips that I believe are worth sharing, but none of them really go together - thus this "random" thread is born.

I have no pictures to share, so I apologize in advance. Have a seat and flex your imaginations a little.

I'll start with today, August 3rd. It got pretty hot in the afternoon, and in some ways it was a tricky day for touring Disneyland. We got there close to park opening and toured Fantasyland with incredible ease. The importance of arriving early cannot be stressed enough! We queued up for the Fantasyland side of the Matterhorn, but then we discovered that our side was just being redirected to the Tomorrowland side because FL side had just closed due to technical difficulty. We decided to ditch. It was a good thing that the CMs announced what was going on, at least. I could see it coming, but other guests were confused as to why the line wasn't moving.

We crossed the park to Splash Mountain and found it to be bone dry. (It later reopened in the afternoon.) So we entered the foyer of the Haunted Mansion, and the Ghost Host told us, "That is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their -" and just then the music cut, and there was a high pitched sound and the candles went to full brightness. It was kinda funny because the mood in the room instantly died. We were asking, "practicing what? What are they practicing??" A CM directed us right back out the way we came.

We had two sets of Fastpasses for Space Mountain, but we had to wait around because it experienced a breakdown that lasted from 10 till about 2. All in all, it wasn't a very good day for the mountains. Also, when we passed by Alice, the caterpillars were stalled on the track.

I finally saw DarkBeer in action today. I didn't realize it but he boarded Monorail Purple at DtD station while we were making our round trip. I wanted to say hi, but he exited before we got a chance, and *poof* he was outta there. He just snaps and runs, that guy. My brother wondered why he was wearing a shirt that says Universal Studios on it.

It's a Small World has got issues. Two days ago, we saw a CM running around the outdoor section of the final turn, pushing boats. During our journey, our boat stalled in the Polynesian room and actually started to go backwards, until we *bumped* the boat behind us. There were about five boats lined up behind us until we started moving again. But that wasn't all; the last "white" room was completely lined with boats! The members of our party that don't particularly care for the song were going insane. Also, this kid in the back of the boat in front of us was crying nonstop for the entire journey! What was that all about? I thought IASW was the epitome of shutting kids up!

Backtrack even more to July 17th, Disneyland's 52nd Bday. It was a very good day, all in all, but the end had an interesting surprise. The CM on our tram accidentally said "Oh s***!" over the intercom before we left for the parking structure. Not only did every kid on the tram hear it, but so did the guests waiting for it too. I wonder what was possibly going on that would cause that CM to mess up like that, but that there was a clear case of bad show. I don't think even Jay Rasulo would agree that that is the ideal phrase to be left with after a day at the parks.

I've got more; I'll post them as I gather my thoughts.
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 08-03-2007 at 11:09 PM.

• Disneyland Addict

Colorado. im 1035.24 miles away from disney =[

Re: Random DL Thoughts for Today - CMs swearing, IASW jam, others

dude sounds like a rough day.. ya last time i went splash mountain was closed down and dry until about 2.... i dono why and matterhorn and space mountain kept breaking..it was lame

• Minion

The galaxy that you usually see from the second lift on Space isn't visible. It appears as though the projector is still on; it just isn't projecting anything.

I finally identified where the three projectors are for Fantasmic! and I found a few of the tiny strobes that you see on and around Laffite's Tavern during the show.

We enjoyed taking one last look at the art in the Disney Gallery. The CMs there are super nice.

I don't know what it is called, but the small tower at FNSV with the weathervane and radar on top now has nautical flags on it. It is a relic that survived the 1998 closure and all the way through the refurb. Awhile back it got a fresh coat of yellow and blue, and now I was happy to discover it's been adorned with new flags. Here's what they looked like, and see if you can figure out what it spells out.

------------------------

Sorry, but I don't see what's wrong with saying s***.

I love the effects language has on some people! They get all antsy when I utter simple syllables.

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Quote Originally Posted by wave789 View Post
    Sorry, but I don't see what's wrong with saying s***.

I love the effects language has on some people! They get all antsy when I utter simple syllables.

Really? In costume?...over the tram intercom? I can think of a couple dozen reasons why you wouldn't want to do that. Has anyone else noticed the lack of just general courtesy from some parking lot Cast members lately?
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Minion

On August 1st the winds kicked up 10 minutes into R...DCT and forced the show to come to a halt. A few of the low fireworks around the castle didn't fire during the Haunted Mansion sequence, which was a bad omen, but after Shenandoah the music stopped. It was a shame because it was going so good. Also, I was with some out-of-country guests who will probably never have the chance to see the show again. They told me what they saw was good enough, but I still felt bad that it had to end so awkwardly.

Not long after, Fantasmic! more than made up for it, luckily.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Here's what they looked like, and see if you can figure out what it spells out.

------------------------

With a little help from Google images, I figured it out. Just a little Disney touch, very cool!
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    With a little help from Google images, I figured it out. Just a little Disney touch, very cool!
    What gave it away while I was there looking at it was that the left side had 7 flags and the right side 4, and also the same patterned flags where the "N's" and the "I's" go.

Really? In costume?...over the tram intercom? I can think of a couple dozen reasons why you wouldn't want to do that. Has anyone else noticed the lack of just general courtesy from some parking lot Cast members lately?
    I wouldn't speak like that in front of guests because I'd get in trouble, obviously, if caught.

But generally speaking, the idea of swear words is interesting. Plus, I love to offend and am attracted to controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by wave789 View Post
    I wouldn't speak like that in front of guests because I'd get in trouble, obviously, if caught.

But generally speaking, the idea of swear words is interesting. Plus, I love to offend and am attracted to controversy.
    I generally don't have a problem with swear words, I have some rather interesting ones loaded on theloaded in the chamber, I was merely thinking that the Parking Lot Tram isn't the best place for a CM to work on thier repitoire.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Yeah, I've noticed the lack of common curtosey from parking cast members lately. It's become appaling. I don't think I've seen a single one even attempt a smile recently, or even pretend that they even get one iota of enjoyment from their jobs. I mean, I understand that its a demanding job, outside, and for many, in the sun... but really, guests shouldn't be getting their first (and last) impression of the parks from people who hate their jobs so much.

Something needs to be done to boost morale - its appalling.

And 2DieFr - I've heard CMs cuss too - it's incredibly bad show. I heard one CM walking hastily through a crowd of poeple in Fantasyland the other night mutter "Fu--" quite audibly under his breath, and I bet I'm not the only one who heard it.

And wave, just because you don't take offense to swear words doesn't mean they're okay to be said by cast memebers. Our society has been conditioned to find the combination of sounds those words make to be offensive, and thus, when you're working at a place like Disneyland, such words shouldn't be used.

Not only is that bad show at Disneyland, its just completely unprofessional.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

Well, the only other time I heard a CM say a bad word was while I was waiting at the TL station of the DL railroad late at night, and I was watching them drive Autopia cars off of the main track and into the storage area. One guy accidentally drove his car into the center planter, and used a certain word to express his frustration. That one was actually quite humorous, given the situation.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    What gave it away while I was there looking at it was that the left side had 7 flags and the right side 4, and also the same patterned flags where the "N's" and the "I's" go.
    Your clue gave it away for me. Nice touch though!
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!