Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

What it takes to be a J.C. Skip

--- Edit--- All of this still holds true. However after countless comments on various threads about the lack of decent Skips on the current crew I decided to open the floor to everyone here... what would you suggest, in a positive constructive way, that might help them.--- Edit---

Because of my previous posts and comments I have been PM'd by various individuals all asking similar questions. Most would like to apply to be Skips, all wanted to know what it takes, and if they would succeed or fail on the Jungle River. I don't feel qualified to answer part of that question because I do not know them personally, so I will do what I can, hopefully this helps. I've known a lot of great Skippers who have all moved on in their professional lives. Some are doctors, lawyers, teachers, actors/actresses, professional stand-up and all walks of life in between. I also realize that there were a lot of Skippers who came and went before I was even there. I will tell you what I think, and hopefully other Skippers past and present will chime in. With a little bit of luck, those who really want to be a Skip will have a better understanding of what it is, and what it takes!

Skippers are a lively bunch. We love to joke and tease among ourselves. It’s not a requirement to have thick skin, but it helps if you don’t let the little things bother you. Just remember you might be on the outside now... but eventually they will accept you.

Public speaking, if you’ve never done it before don’t worry we’ll teach you. Think of it as a full immersion program. You get 4 days with a trainer and then off you go in a boat spieling over and over to complete strangers. If you have a complete fear of public speaking or are extremely shy then this may not be the right spot for you. I’ve seen many fail, but I also remember one girl who was “quiet as a mouse” when she started. I regard her as one of my mentors, and one of the best trainers I had the privilege of knowing. All because she overcame that fear and shyness. Thank you Kaz.

Multi-Task… because you have to spiel and drive safely. People have a hard time controlling the boat and the mic… remember safety first, boat takes priority.

I hope you have energy. Working on the dock can be pretty tiring. Between the weather and the step aerobics (in the boat, out of the boat, in the boat…. ) Load/Unload will make you sweat. Plenty of us have called it our “weight loss program”. The boat is a lot cooler, but depending on your spiel you can expel just as much energy.

Sense of Humor- this should be a requirement. Jungle seems to be a natural home for those who don’t fit in elsewhere. The pranksters, jokers, class clowns, loners, creative thinkers… you get the idea. Not asking that you be funny all the time, more about comedic timing and knowing how to word the joke to tailor it to you.

Sense of balance- this comes in handy during setup and during rescue ops… I’ve caught a few Skips who almost fell in! And I’ve watched a few others actually fall!

Respect for History- This was one of the class of 55. It was one of Walt’s babies, and one of the few places you could find him when he was in a bad mood (This came from a 55-65 Skipper) There is a lot to know about Jungle. I think one of the drawbacks to the high turnover is the lack of appreciation for what Jungle is, and how much history is there.

Willingness to go above and beyond- To develop your spiel, your character, and enhance the experience of the Guests. We had a joke submission program if you have good material and are willing to sign it over. Eccentric isn't always a bad thing.

There is no audition process although I really wish there was. You are not guaranteed to make it to Jungle, but it doesn’t hurt to make your feelings known. Most of my friends know my story. I started on Indy because there was no room on Jungle. I constantly told Management I wanted J.C. but was trained on Splash. Eventually I made it to the J.C., and that became home. It’s what I wanted and I followed my heart, boyhood dream if you will. IF you really want to be a Skip go for it. Some of my best memories to date are from that river, and my crew. I still see a lot of them today! The Jungle can use good Skips, good luck. Now I open the floor in hopes that others will chime in.

-- TechSkip-->
    Last edited by techskip; 10-01-2007 at 04:06 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Wink Re: What it takes to be a J.C. Skip

Actually it doesn't take any of that to be on Jungle...

Just walk into TDA and apply for Attractions and enjoy $8.20 an hour! I know there is still an interview process at TDA but it's nothing compared to the things you listed above. A computer based personality test and then a couple questions.

(of course you might get Indy, but JC is new-hire attraction so it's a good chance to get that)
    Last edited by Wesley815; 08-04-2007 at 08:31 AM.
    -Wes

• Banned User

Re: What it takes to be a J.C. Skip

I got a question. To your knowledge, have there ever been any JC skips of color (Black, Latino, Asian, etc.)? Near as I can recall, whether male or female, the JC skips all appear to have been European Americans. Given the turnaround in the job, though, it's very possible I may simply have never come across any skips of color, or seen any. I hope it's not because there's some casting policy regarding the position.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Great post there, helps a lot.

EDIT: Huh, I haven't seen any colored skips either. If that's true, that sucks because I'm asian and want to be a skip myself.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• The Twilight Zone

i've seen asian skips and i think latino.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedhoilday View Post
    i've seen asian skips and i think latino.
    Yeah? OK, well that's good. Has anyone ever seen a Black skipper?

The best Skip I ever had was an asian skip....but no black skips.
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I started on Indy because there was no room on Jungle. I constantly told Management I wanted J.C. but was trained on Splash. Eventually I made it to the J.C., and that became home. Itís what I wanted and I followed my heart, boyhood dream if you will. IF you really want to be a Skip go for it. Some of my best memories to date are from that river, and my crew. I still see a lot of them today! The Jungle can use good Skips, good luck. Now I open the floor in hopes that others will chime in.

-- TechSkip-->
    Way to steal my story...except I got stuck getting trained to Treehouse.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

Quote Originally Posted by TiaDalmaFan View Post
    Yeah? OK, well that's good. Has anyone ever seen a Black skipper?

I'm hispanic, there were always a couple of us on the dock, though sometimes you couldn't tell just be looking at them. I've had a couple of hispanic leads, one actually is now in TDA.
    One of the best load jokes I heard came from an asian skip (VIP seats in the center..VIP stands for view not so good.)
    And of course we had african-american skips. There is no official policy on Jungle Cruise..may in the 50's but not now. I also worked with a couple of Egyptian skippers.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• The Twilight Zone

I like that vip joke.

I think when i'm older as i'm only 15 right now i would like to be a skipper. I think having the chance to be quick and smart in the improv kinda way would be GREAT

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    I also worked with a couple of Egyptian skippers.
    Suddenly I had the religious flashback. One unloader dressed in the Indy brown bathrobe, hands extended, holding a paddle in one hand. "Helping you out of the boat today is Jesus and Moses". No joking, that was their actual names... and Moses I believe was Egyptian if I am not mistaken. It took every ounce of willpower not to start laughing when I said their names... and Moses played off his name all the time using that paddle/staff trick!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    Actually it doesn't take any of that to be on Jungle... Just walk into TDA and apply for Attractions and enjoy $8.20 an hour! I know there is still an interview process at TDA but it's nothing compared to the things you listed above. A computer based personality test and then a couple questions. (of course you might get Indy, but JC is new-hire attraction so it's a good chance to get that)
    The point of the thread was to give advice and thoughts for those who asked for it. Also to hopefully get other Skips' thoughts on this. You can easily walk in and nail the job, this was for the "would I be any good at it?" thought.
    Last edited by techskip; 08-04-2007 at 01:14 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Reminds me of the time Erik with a K had me stand up on top of the "This Way To Civilization" sign.

Up there is Jesus (hay-soos)
    Jesus will now lead you to salvation

Uh...Erik it says civilization

What kind of messiah are you?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    I'm hispanic, there were always a couple of us on the dock, though sometimes you couldn't tell just be looking at them. I've had a couple of hispanic leads, one actually is now in TDA.
    One of the best load jokes I heard came from an asian skip (VIP seats in the center..VIP stands for view not so good.)
    And of course we had african-american skips. There is no official policy on Jungle Cruise..may in the 50's but not now. I also worked with a couple of Egyptian skippers.
    OK, cool, I'm glad to hear that. It was just a thought that had crossed my mind.

• Some imagination, huh?

On the topic of whether there were skippers of color:

I've had two Asian skippers and right after I got on the boat with an Asian skipper, there was a black skipper right behind us.

So there's room for everyone =D

• Picturing the Magic

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Suddenly I had the religious flashback. One unloader dressed in the Indy brown bathrobe, hands extended, holding a paddle in one hand. "Helping you out of the boat today is Jesus and Moses". No joking, that was their actual names... and Moses I believe was Egyptian if I am not mistaken. It took every ounce of willpower not to start laughing when I said their names... and Moses played off his name all the time using that paddle/staff trick!

(Sign up and search "Splashmoun10")

I use a Nikon D50 with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens and a Zoom-Nikkor 70-300m f/4-f/5.6 G

Check out my latest TR (August 4th---August 11th) at Disneyworld!

Check out my latest TR (January 4th) at Disneyland!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast