View Poll Results: Are you interested in a serious JC ride?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely. I've always wondered about the plant and trees.

10 15.87%
  • Absolutely Not. It's a ride, not an arboretum.

44 69.84%
  • Maybe, I've never considered it before.

7 11.11%
  • I don't care one way or the other.

2 3.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Re: Should Disneyland offer a Serious Jungle Cruise Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Puns are good - riff off the plant names, or the unofficial names of the AA's.
    --<< Bruce >>--
    Closest I ever came was:

I'd like to thake this time to point out some interesting plant life

*point
    *point
    *point
    *point

thank you.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    The thing is, people do not go to DL for education.

But the AA-ologist idea...
    You mean outside of DL in a real jungle with real animals, or the jungle skippers being serious about the silly fake animals? Real animals like at Animal Kindom--Yes /being serious about the fake animals---no
    Janette

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

I think the original spiel or the educational spiel would be great... if it was done by Ben Stein.

Actually, that might make a good bit if Disney ever puts together another one of those in-the-park specials.

Seriously though, I would be interested, but I doubt that the average guest would. I am sad that I missed out on the footsteps tour version.

They could do try it on some days with using one queue for the tradition and one for the educational. Call the two tours "adventure" and "enlightenment". Of course, knowing the skips, they might think humor is more enlightening.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Lean about plants, hmmmm.

That's what is Living with the Land is for.

• Banned User

I would like to have it as an option, sure! I have a good copy of the original spiel, as done by Thurl Ravenscroft, and it's actually pretty nice.

People seem to forget that Adventureland was primarily inspired by the True Life Adventure nature films Disney was making in the 1950s, and while those were certainly edu-tainment, they were never boring or dull.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Okay my grandpa would totally love this! Except he hates Disneyland (he doesn't like kids that aren't related to him in some way. Plus he hates teenagers and he has a disdain for any 20 year old male not serving in the military. He's a WW2 vet...)...my grandpa is such a big gardener so something like this would be up his alley.

• Collision speed....FULL!

When my uncle worked the Jungle Cruise quite a couple years ago, he would always recite the speil with the jokes, but every once in a while he would get a boat full of people who just wouldn't laugh at the jokes, so he would swithc over to the serious/educational version of the trip.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Okay my grandpa would totally love this! Except he hates Disneyland (he doesn't like kids that aren't related to him in some way. Plus he hates teenagers and he has a disdain for any 20 year old male not serving in the military. He's a WW2 vet...)...my grandpa is such a big gardener so something like this would be up his alley.
    Your grandpa sounds like a cool ol' cuss. Does he still slick back his hair with Lucky Tiger hair oil with lanolin?

• no flash photography...

I rarely find any of the jokes they tell on the jungle cruise funny. Maybe it's not the jokes. It's probably more of the delivery and the fact that they cm's seem to like putting the mic to close to their mouths, so we can't understand what they are saying, but mostly it's the delivery. Some really sound bored or you can tell it's the 100th time they said it.

I think the serious version would be interesting. I did see it in an old viedo of DL and it seemed ok to me, not really boring.

• Minion

Blog Entries

your grandpa does sound cool, like my brother in 50 years, lol no kidding, my bro HATES kids

• Knows Where His Towel Is

OMG your grandpa is just like mine...he's a Korean War vet, awarded the second highest medal in the military, forget what it was called.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TiaDalmaFan View Post
    Your grandpa sounds like a cool ol' cuss. Does he still slick back his hair with Lucky Tiger hair oil with lanolin?
    I don't know if he uses that. He slicks his hair back though...Since he hit his 70s, I think he's loosened up. It's kinda' funny. Funny thing is he doesn't like dogs, but he loves our seeing eye dog puppy because it was named after the USS Pearl Harbor, which was named after the men who defended Pearl Harbor, which was my grandpa. He actually shows affection to her calling her a "good looking dog." He calls the other dogs "a loud overgrown rat" (our cairn terrier mix) and "a pillow with legs" (our silky mix).

Back on topic: Grandpa knows every plant native to C.A., Ohio, Vermont, Hawaii, and New York (basically any state he lives he knows the plant life), so he would be all over a Jungle Cruise that was geared towards that.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    We used to have a couple of CM's who were very well versed in the old spiel, which is actually (correct me if I'm wrong current skips) still in the LOG and still very appropriate to give as a spiel in itself. We used to call it the National Geographic Tour, it was mostly used as a punishment for crews who didn't respond to the load jokes. I don't know if any of the new kids have any of the old spiel memorized though.
    Portions of it are in there... remember the Jungle has changed A LOT in 50 years.

I would like to have it as an option, sure! I have a good copy of the original spiel, as done by Thurl Ravenscroft
    That is what I used to find the remainder of the spiel that was not in the O.G. because the scene no longer existed. While I couldn't use it in the course of a normal spiel "on your left is a baby rhino and a rhino charging the ... oh never mind it's not there anymore!" I did use them during downtimes as an enhancement to the WW spiel. It added a little something more when you could tell them where it was, where it went, and what was said about it.

Puns are good - riff off the plant names, or the unofficial names of the AA's.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    Closest I ever came was:
    I'd like to take this time to point out some interesting plant life
    *point
    *point
    *point
    *point
    thank you.
    Horticulture left the "plant guide" in the Shipping Office one day. All Day we plotted and planned various jokes. At Nightfall Ryan H. took a boat out used the chart to crack jokes about all the plants. I remember the Attacking Native one specifically "Hold on Hold on your're trampling the sage grass. STOP... they are sensitive plants. Okay quiet down... look down... farther... look at the roots... the roots are the key to life!" throttles the boat "See kids learning can save your life!".

I would hesitate to call it "punishment", but if you have a bunch of people shouting out the punch lines, having something totally different ready to switch to would be a way of throwing them off their "it's so boring we can heckle the Skip" and you take over control of the room again.
    Punishment to bore the crew or in many cases PUNISHMENT because a Manager decided to try and sneak on your boat. I ALWAYS used it against Management. I would start it off as boring as possible and then liven it up as we went. A hybrid between the two. It was always fun to breathe new life into the classics!

Quote Originally Posted by bytemaster View Post
    Seriously though, I would be interested, but I doubt that the average guest would. I am sad that I missed out on the footsteps tour version.
    If you do a WW, talk to the guide while in Adventureland... some of them knew the old spiel and could probably deliver it to you.

Technically we weren't the ones spieling during WW. We just drove and pretended to spiel if there was a chance of another boat seeing us (Dock, Indy, S.Falls). The rest of the time we sat and listened. Over the course of many many trips some of us memorized it and could then deliver it as a recovery tool if we were stuck out there. I also used it when I had a VIP boat of travel agents... and a couple times in the morning when it was a small boat and people wanted something different (AP's actually who had requested it and it was just their party) There was a 9 month window that had the WW tour on Jungle, and that was before the 50th, I'm not sure how many current Skips were even around for that.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    OMG your grandpa is just like mine...he's a Korean War vet, awarded the second highest medal in the military, forget what it was called.
    The Distinguished Service Cross.

• "I Break Things"

I have had the privilege of meeting several recipients, I believe Iron mentioned it in another thread. It has been my experience that the higher the medal the deeper the $h!t and the less likely they are to say what happened! Having been in combat I know better then to ask. Be grateful, like the Medal of Honor, most are accepted by the family because the Vet didn't make it home!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12