View Poll Results: What bling, if any, should be brought back?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Everything

14 15.38%
  • Just the crowns

13 14.29%
  • Just the roof lattice work

9 9.89%
  • Just the banners (the ones *on* the castle)

5 5.49%
  • Do nothing! Leave it as it is!

25 27.47%
  • Enough of this! Return the castle to it's original, realistic (yet with a TOUCH of fantasy) form!

22 24.18%
  • Other

3 3.30%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Sleeping Beauty Castle bling

On a similar note to the thread in the WDW forums, I'd like to ask this of my fellow Disneylanders: Should any, or all, of the castle bling from the 50th be re-installed? I personally LOVE the decorations, and would be immensely happy if they were brought back. At the very least, I'd want them to bring back the lattice work on the turrets' roofs.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Because of the large number of possible combinations, I had to limit the poll to a few selections. But, if you like something, other than listed, vote for 'other' and tell us your thoughts on the matter. Heck, tell us your thoughts on the matter, anyways!

And, I've even thrown in a couple for the non-bling enthusiasts. I've seen too many polls with not enough options to make it a fair poll. Just trying my best to appeal to the masses... to an extent.

All the choices, except for 'other', by default, exclude the 50th Golden Mickey Ears above the Disney family crest, because... well... it's not the 50th anymore!

And, to jog your memory, here's a picture of the castle in all of it's 50th glory:

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Sleeping Beauty Castle bling

I think a lot of the decor threw off the "forced perspective" of the Castle, especially the crowns. While some of the gold trim was nice, I don't think that it is necessary now. It was a nice way to brighten the Castle up for the 50th, but since the 50th has passed, I believe the Castle should remain as it is.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I added the poll, so vote away!

• Genteel Amphibian

I like the Tapasties (sp?) on the walls, but everything else I thought was too gaudy, and I think it ruind the forced perspective.

also the paint job of the stones, (castle walls) though nice and pretty, I think isn't as realistic as it used to be. anyways as Aura of Forboding said I think it was nice for the fiftieth' but it should stay as is.

• A Forever Dancing Pirate

On the Black Pearl, Caribbean (close to DLR)

Everything! Especially the crowns, I was disappointed when they took them down.
    ~Pearl~
    Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me!

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

Although I'm glad that the Castle received a new paint job for the 50th Anniversary, I thought all the other golden "crap" that was placed on it made the castle look to busy.

I kind of liked the three crowns on the bottom of the castle, but the two crowns on the top turret ruined the Castle for me. I like Sleeping Beauty Castle as it is now, plain and simple and with a nice sparkling paint job. (Though I do wish they would get rid of that gold railing that is on it now as well.)

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

• Minion

it was ok for the 50th
    it wouldnt make sense now.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

I had voted everything, but now I change my mind. Yes the trimmings did ruin the perspective, however I loved the banners hanging down from the ramparts (medieval term).

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Minion

ORDDU: Personally, I think that whenever Disney management takes a perfectly beautiful castle and throws all those gaudy, unncessary decorations all over it, it's the same as taking a perfectly beautiful princess and dressing her up in a lot of gaudy, unnecessary jewelry which only ends up making her look like some sort of cheap slut who has nothing better to do with her time than walk the streets. In short, they end up pimping her out, which is exactly what they do to their castles whenever they want to promote some sort of celebration. It's not that they shouldn't promote their anniversaries, either. It's just that they need to do so in a more tasteful way that doesn't ruin the appearance of something that was so lovely to begin with that they end up defacing it with what turns out to be needless graffiti. I say leave the castles alone. the only decent decor they've added to a castle--lately--has taken place in France. For once they've decorated a castle to promote an anniversary and they've done it in a subtle enough way that doesn't ruin the over-all appearance of their park's main center piece. Even so, it wouldn't be a very good idea to leave those decorations on Sleeping Beauty Castle forever.

DL needs something different on the castle since it has now been cloned in Hong Kong. I know most people love this castle, but it has fallen way down on my list after seeing the other castles in real life. The surfaces of SBC are just too plain. It needs more texture. The forced perspective argument seems silly given the miniaturized Matterhorn next to it which is way out of scale with the castle. In reality the castle would be 16 inches high or smaller!

I know I am going against the majority here, but SBC is just too small and uninspiring. The trees are bigger in the hub usually. I would love to see this changed. I know it will never happen. The people throwing their bodies in front of it to stop any changes would get in the way of the wrecking ball.

SO I will just continue to ignore it. It's easy.
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

• Tower Fanatic Since 1996

I liked the bling. I thought it fit the celebration perfectly, much better than turning it into a cake!

That being said, I'm happy to see the castle back to its non-blingified state.
    Tyler

• The Disneyland Expert

Here's an idea: Give the bling to me! I always wondered what happened to the bling after it was taken down.
    The Disneyland Expert
    I will be in Disneyland August 6-10. Check my blog on those days for pictures and updates!
    My blog, updated occasionally.
    My pictures, updated frequently.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post
    I like the Tapasties (sp?) on the walls, but everything else I thought was too gaudy, and I think it ruined the forced perspective.

also the paint job of the stones, (castle walls) though nice and pretty, I think isn't as realistic as it used to be. anyways as Aura of Forboding said I think it was nice for the fiftieth' but it should stay as is.
    I agree completely... but you forgot to mention that they painted the whole thing BIRTHDAY CAKE BUBBLE GUM PINK... that was probably the most annoying/gaudy part.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

I liked the "bling" (ha that is such a funny word) for the 50th but it is a little over kill for everyday appearances.

So i vote with the majority. I <3 Sleeping Beauty's Castle!

C'mon everybody, here we go!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Hmm... interesting perspectives here. Like some, I was dissappointed when they took it down. I esp. love the lattice work they installed on the roofs, as well as the railing they have, thankfully, left up.

Techskip: what's wrong with the beautiful pink the castle is now? I've seen pictures of how it was before the 50th decorations, as well as pictures of HK's SBC, and personally think that that color scheme is much too bland. Many people keep commenting on how the castle is 'bubblegum', 'salmon', 'barbie', 'pepto bismol' pink, but I don't agree with that (which is the beauty of being an individual). I think it is a nice, vibrant pink that helps the castle to stand out more and look prettier. (I can already see some comment coming on how it 'sure makes it stand out, all right...' )

It appears that I failed to mention the wonderful job they did on the roofs themselves. They are such a beautiful shade of blue, that, depending on what time of day it is, can go from being a nice deep/medium blue, to a light blue color. If they did anything else to the castle to 'tone it down', well, I'd still love Disneyland, but I don't think I'd like the castle much anymore. It's the gateway to Fantasyland. Let the imagineers have some fun with it.

That's my thoughts for now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast