Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Lowering Expectations

Make a Wish: Good or Bad? Top 10 Coin-Dropping Locations in DL

If you are the type of park guest who scoffs at $63 adult one-day-one-park general admission, $3 churros, $10 pins and $18 light-up Dream ears, I can only imagine what type of thoughts go through your head when you see the bottoms of many of Disneyland's fountains and waterways covered with a layer of bronze. After many guests feel as though they have already handed over their wallets to get in and be well housed, fed and merchandised, how could anyone be so stupid as to throw away even more money?

Leave it to the power of urban myth, which in this instance stems from European folklore. Back then, water was a source of life and often a scarce commodity. Therefore, the idea that a wish would be granted came from the belief that water contained deities or had been placed there as a gift from the gods. People believe that the guardians or dwellers of the well would grant them their wish if they paid a price. After uttering the wish, one would generally drop coins in the well.

Today however, selfish as we are, I venture to say not many of us throw coins as gifts for the deity in thanks. It has become something of a pastime, and a guiltless one since pennies are nearly worthless. Certainly nobody feels bad about losing a bit of heavy change they've been carrying around all day. Usually the goal is one of two things: trying to aim for something, like a barrel or a cup, or actually making a wish, with varying amount of belief that it will come true. And guests are much more likely to throw coins if they see someone else in the act, or if there are a lot of coins already.

And now here are my Top 10 Coin-Dropping places in Disneyland Park. There are more, but these spring to mind.

10. Pirates of the Caribbean, waterway around the queue. After finding all that treasure with Captain Jack, what are a few pennies?
    9. Mali at the Tiki Room Gardens. This brings new meaning to the "gifts from the gods" idea of wishing wells, doesn't it? Be nice to Mali and reward him next time.
    8. Ariel meet-and-greet pool. Now without jumping fountains, guests make do with jumping coins. Watch out, King Triton.
    7. Innoventions, around the clock sign. Wow, I guess there's a penny for every person who's been in there!
    6. It's a Small World, waterway outdoors. Again, a pastime mostly for those in the queue above. My mom swears she doesn't remember any coinage until recently, but I vouch it was always there.
    5. Waterways at Toontown. There's something about this place that attracts coin-throwing in droves. And not just Minnie's wishing well, nor just the fountains; it's the lake around Donald's Boat and Gadget's Go-Coaster that gets 'em too.
    4. Submarine Lagoon. It's recently been cleared, but it's a long line, and guests lined up around it apparently need something to do to pass the time.
    3. Snow White's Scary Adventures Dungeon. Not a water feature, but this area is teeming with coins. The objects below - goblets, scales - are just asking to be aimed at.
    2. Big Thunder Pond. I actually like the effect because it looks like gold, which is the whole reason the mine train got built in the first place. The wood ramp with water flowing at the end has been scraped free of coins, but in years past it reminded me of the arcade game with all the tokens.
    1. Snow White Wishing Well. Finally a place where coin-dropping is encouraged. And all the money is donated to charity.

Is this practice harmless or a form of vandalism? Are guests merely wishing their (unfulfilled by the Year of a Million) dreams will come true, or are they trashing the beautiful water features of Disneyland? Jiminy Cricket and the fireworks show strongly encourage wishing upon a star instead, so I believe that is Disneyland's official stance. Snow White's wishing well is perhaps a means of satisfying an overwhelming urge to get rid of pocket change so that guests won't do that elsewhere. After all, I'd hate to be the person who has to dig all that coinage out, whether or not the water gets drained.
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 08-06-2007 at 02:31 AM.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Re: Make a Wish: Good or Bad? Top 10 Coin-Dropping Locations in DL

The big question is: What happens to all the coinage that is retrieved from the water? Does Disney give it to a charity or do they take it to the bank?
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

It all goes to charity. United Way, Make-a-Wish Foundation, or various children's hospitals usually receive it.

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    The big question is: What happens to all the coinage that is retrieved from the water? Does Disney give it to a charity or do they take it to the bank?
    The money is donated to charity. I read this in an official press release some time ago.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Okay now I don't feel so bad chucking change...

I remember I used to beg my parents for change to toss into the Big Thunder area. I never did get those wishes though... I can't believe people would throw money into the subs! Do you want them to close the subs again?

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AEGuy42 View Post
    It all goes to charity. United Way, Make-a-Wish Foundation, or various children's hospitals usually receive it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft View Post
    The money is donated to charity. I read this in an official press release some time ago.
    Well that answers that question then. Which was posed as a joke btw

When did dropping a penny in a wishing well turn into forcefully flicking coins at riders on Screaming? It's funny that people will throw coins in any body of water though, you see it all over the World.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Banned User

I think they do donate money from all the water displays and all to the afforementioned charities, and the Toys for Tots Foundation as well.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

mostly i don't do it because I'm skeptical of the validity of coin + water = wish granting . but that's just me

My Maleficent tattoo

• Banned User

Well, I suggest that signs be put up at all water-centered attractions with one theme character (Snow White or Dopey at the wishing well, Ariel at King Triton's meet-and-greet pool, Nemo at the lines on the subs, etc.) that would read as follows:
    "(Character name) wants to make your wish and thanks to you,
    (Charity name) will make somebody's dreams come true."
    Each fountain would be designated by Disney for a charity (Toys for Tots, Children's Hospital of Orange County, Make-A-Wish, et al) by DisneyHand, the charitable arm of The Walt Disney Company and Disney Theme Parks and Resorts.
    Last edited by mouseinphilly; 08-08-2007 at 06:38 PM.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    Well, I suggest that signs be put up at all water-centered attractions with one theme character (Snow White or Dopey at the wishing well, Ariel at King Triton's meet-and-greet pool, Nemo at the lines on the subs, etc.) that would read as follows:

Each fountain would be designated by Disney for a charity (Toys for Tots, Children's Hospital of Orange County, Make-A-Wish, et al) by DisneyCares, the charitable arm of The Walt Disney Company and Disney Theme Parks and Resorts.
    Your idea for a sign is not that bad of an idea really... Not every promotional sign in the park needs to be that of a corporate sponsor... How about some psa's, Grier? As if you are listening...

I don't think it is a good idea to toss pennies on rides... I know people do it intentionally... Sometimes by accedent... But intentionally could be hazzardous...
    Check out my other blog:

• Kevin's a girl?

Well, for me, I find stray pennies on the ground and use them to make a wish or two or three. Of course I pick them up with napkins and wipe them off. All together during that visit, I found six pennies. I forget where I toss them to, but I know I should. Anyways, I wished on three wishes twice and in less than a year, each one came true.

We're always having fun in the Fun and Games Lounge. Care to visit us?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Oh! That wouldn't be bad because then the parents can justify giving their kids a few pennies to their kids because they know it's going to a good cause, rather than the Disney big wigs.

• I Can Show You the World

I would find it interesting to hear how much each location rakes in for the year.

• Canon DSLR Professional

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    1. Snow White Wishing Well. Finally a place where coin-dropping is encouraged. And all the money is donated to charity.

This money goes to CHOC (Childrens' Hospital of Orange County) - I have about eight (8) pounds of change bound for the well Sunday. I always get rather unusual looks from the bag check CM when I bring in a "Sack-o-loot" for the well, but it makes me feel good...and the exercise does me well

...and this isn't just a bag of Lincoln cents, there are many quarters and dimes here too.
    Vance DeBar "Pinto" Colvig was born on September 11, 1892. I was born on September 11, 1959. Goofy huh?
    OOPS.....

• Hiding in the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    I don't think it is a good idea to toss pennies on rides... I know people do it intentionally... Sometimes by accedent... But intentionally could be hazzardous...
    I have seen a penny do some damage to a little girls fingers on iasw. It needs to be times right or you are liable to hit a boat coming from under a bridge...not a pretty sight.

I prefer to wish in the well, because its a well, aren't that what they are for?

A little piece of heaven

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast