Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Does anyone have info on the Tahitian Terrace coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    unless, they're (with the exception of the fireworks equipment... don't know how to explain that one into this) slowly removing these pieces to make way for new equipment? just a thought
    Trust me, I've thought of that...and I hope that's what's happening. Both restaurant spaces are being vastly underutilized for such things as cookie-baking, pin trading, character appearances and story telling. Not that these aren't important, but they could be better elsewhere if it means the return of actual restaurants.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I don't think I ever ate at either restaurant, but I'm all for the return of more sit-down dining! Esp. the terrace. I love all things tropical, and would love to see a great show with my dinner.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    So that would explain, perhaps, the rack of computers I saw in what used to be the Pavillion frycook area, just off of the dishroom...where the old dishwashing machine still stands, with a "remain" tag hanging on it. As you say, the rest of the area is empty...even the ovens and serving areas that were there even a year ago. How sad.
    Oh heck, is that all? A rack of equipment for the fireworks launchers on the roof is not a problem at all... It can be moved. And fairly easily.

Now that they know what they need and have it all debugged & running, a full rack of general purpose computer gear can be often be shrunk to fit inside a small cabinet and put upstairs, up high on a wall. What they first thought would require a full server will easily run on a laptop or a Programmable Logic Controller.

The only reason they plopped it there is that the upstairs is existing CM dressing rooms and other stuff they didn't want to mess with, and the Basement is full of Tiki Room gear and restricted access. So they put the rack in a convenient easy-access vacant space - and that just happened to be the middle of the (vacant) kitchen.

EDIT: And it just hit me - $20 says they didn't run expensive conduits down from the roof with the "temporary" cabling for the "temporary" surround effects fireworks show, they just opened a cleanout hatch on the roof and dropped the wires straight down through the old fry grill exhaust hood duct and put the rack where the stove was. Quick and dirty.

Bill: Am I right, or am I right?

--<< Bruce >>--
    Last edited by Bruce Bergman; 08-06-2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Added paragraph
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

I'd love to see the return of the Tahitian Terrace, too. I'm sure if it is to be everything will be done to make it work.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Oh heck, is that all? A rack of equipment for the fireworks launchers on the roof is not a problem at all... It can be moved. And fairly easily.

Now that they know what they need and have it all debugged & running, a full rack of general purpose computer gear can be often be shrunk to fit inside a small cabinet and put upstairs, up high on a wall. What they first thought would require a full server will easily run on a laptop or a Programmable Logic Controller.

The only reason they plopped it there is that the upstairs is existing CM dressing rooms and other stuff they didn't want to mess with, and the Basement is full of Tiki Room gear and restricted access. So they put the rack in a convenient easy-access vacant space - and that just happened to be the middle of the (vacant) kitchen.

EDIT: And it just hit me - $20 says they didn't run expensive conduits down from the roof with the "temporary" cabling for the "temporary" surround effects fireworks show, they just opened a cleanout hatch on the roof and dropped the wires straight down through the old fry grill exhaust hood duct and put the rack where the stove was. Quick and dirty.

Bill: Am I right, or am I right?

--<< Bruce >>--
    Still, my question is, do you think they have any long term plans for this expansive area above and beyond what they're using it for now? Seems like they'd have to invest a lot of capital in new equipment.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Animatronic

Both restaurants had charm and style and one had nearly naked women wiggling their hips. I think I need say no more.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Imagineers love Hawaii... and Aloha Shirts... and Tiki Bars... and Tiki Rooms... and Tahitian Terraces.
    Such a tease, Bill, such a tease!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I love Hawaii... but does that make me an Imagineer? Well, I sure hope so! lol

But seriously, I have no clue as to the exact setup for Remember. You need to be asking Steve Davison, not Micechatter Bill.

But what Bruce said sounds logical to me.

I mean, the sound equipment for Beauty and the Beast on Broadway was housed in a bathroom in the basement. So it's not that odd for random tech equipment to be in a kitchen. lol
    Last edited by Bill; 08-06-2007 at 10:28 PM.
    -Bill

I would like to see a few more table service restaurants at DL. TT would seem and obvious addition.
    The Mur

• Infinitized!

If Tahitian Terrace comes back, it will probably have a Lilo and Stitch overlay. Not saying that's a bad thing. I just recently saw the movie for the first time and enjoyed it. A Lilo and Stitch overlay could work nicely and ensure a favourite restaurant returns to DL.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Don't count on Lilo and Stitch. They destroyed the Luau at Disney's Polynesian Resort in FL...

Then again, if they had the right show producer, aka NOT ANNE HAMBURGER, the show might have a chance... a little Elvis and such. That turns it into the Hawaii from Lilo & Stitch.

I love Lilo & Stitch, but the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show is horrible compared to the traditional Polynesian Luau that they used to have. Sea World's Luau is now the best Polynesian themed show in Orlando IMHO. If they re-open the Terrace, it hopefully will have nothing to do with Lilo & Stitch.
    -Bill

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Both restaurants had charm and style and one had nearly naked women wiggling their hips. I think I need say no more.
    If you every see any of the 50/60's film of the Tahitian Terrace from Disney's World of Color/Wonderful World/Whatever it was called at the time episode "Disneyland After Dark" The footage of the audience is priceless. Whilst the near naked women are wiggling their bits, the men in the audience are ogling in the manner only slightly repressed men can do. (What's the non-pejorative for "dirty old man"?) And their wives have the simultaneous looks of horror and intrigue on their faces.

*digs about looking for footage...*

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=MwQVTlHyiyI[/youtube]
    Oh and nice hat Walt ...
    [youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=uzIAyrbVrnY[/youtube]
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Don't count on Lilo and Stitch. They destroyed the Luau at Disney's Polynesian Resort in FL...

Then again, if they had the right show producer, aka NOT ANNE HAMBURGER, the show might have a chance... a little Elvis and such. That turns it into the Hawaii from Lilo & Stitch.

I love Lilo & Stitch, but the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show is horrible compared to the traditional Polynesian Luau that they used to have. Sea World's Luau is now the best Polynesian themed show in Orlando IMHO. If they re-open the Terrace, it hopefully will have nothing to do with Lilo & Stitch.
    Well, if they want to go that route for a show they already have a very serviceable Elvis on site and on the payroll - "Billy Hill", "Tony Fabulous" AKA Kirk Wall. Channel your Google-Fu and find out more, I don't want to play favorites with links.

The amazing part is, it wouldn't be hard at all to start it back up as a venue - all the chairs and tables, the stage and lighting and sound, and the decor are all still there. They only need to put the kitchen back together.

Same for the Plaza Pavillion side of the building. Just find another place for all the pin carts, take out the Annual Pass Center equipment and put the serving line back and it's all good to go.

But it takes someone with vision and pull to make it happen - anyone got Lasseter's phone number?...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Minion

No Lilo and Stitch! No matter how hard they have tried, those characters aren't really working as perennials - and they'll spoil the classic luau Polynesian theme! Just give us the tropical fantasy and spare the franchise flogging for a change.

• Fortune Red Says....

It was such an amazing experience eating at the Tahitian Terrace, it was a tradition for my family every time we went! Can anyone sneak some photos of the condition of how it stands now?
    "Childishness? I think it's the equivalent of never losing your sense of humor. I mean, there's a certain something that you retain. It's the equivalent of not getting so stuffy that you can't laugh at others."
    ~Walt Disney

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast