Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Re: what do you think Tony baxter will do with DL?

The problem Tony faces right now is that there are too many ideas going around. The rockets were supposed to go up last year but due to Nemo's growing budget and their intense focus on Pirate's Lair, they couldn't do it, so it was put in line...like the rest of the projects he wants done (PeopleMover, Tahitian Terrace, Frontierland Dark Ride etc etc etc). Hopefully they can figure out what they want and soon. There is a lot of focus on DCA right now but I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing something happening in September or October.

I hope this means with Tony in charge of DL, that there will be no third park...
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Banned User

Among other things, Tony should move the Mickey's Halloween Treat event back to Disneyland Park in 2008, and stage the parade and fireworks shows that have been armchair imagineered here on these boards since they announced this year's events.

• Special Agent

Tony will build rides that Burbank approves. Burbank won't approve money for anything other than Pixar rides and thrill rides.

There's absolutely no way that Disney would spend the money to build a land based on a movie that flopped in the 1970s. A movie that I'm guessing 70% of the kids on this forum probably never even heard of. Discovery Bay is as dead as Lincoln.

Tony being in charge of the design studio again really means nothing, other than maybe some touch ups and repairs around the park. Tony has absolutely no ability to influence the nature of the attractions going into the park. Tony will build what the managers want, and if that means building a Pixar sub ride, or building Winnie the Pooh, than so be it.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    The problem Tony faces right now is that there are too many ideas going around. The rockets were supposed to go up last year ...
    I don't understand. Tony was essentially the Imagineer that decided the Rockets would go at the entrance of TL. Why would he reverse his own decision?

If Tony does want to do anything with Tomorrowland, I'd see him pressing it further and further back to the Tomorrowland 98 model. We all know that he's in love with Disneyland Paris so why wouldn't he want TL to shadow Discoveryland?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    I don't think he has the power that he used to. As WDI does not have the power or respect it used to (in day to day matters) either. He will have to operate in a very political world with the operator meaning there wil be compromises. He is most likely the best person WDI has to do that job (no one loves it like he does) and used to be known for fighting for things, although Tomorrowland was his and seemed to be very compromised.
    What WDI are you talking about? Now that Tom got pushed aside to WDW, WDI is much less political then it has ever been. We can thank John Lasseter for that.

I think Tony has more power now then he has ever had.
    -Bill

• Banned User

Now if they can get rid of Jay "Bottom Line" Rasulo...

• Closed Account

Personally, I'd like to see someone like Eddie Sotto get the job of "fixing" DL. Or at least be involved in some way. He has such an intrinsic understanding of theme and cohesive storytelling. If you've seen the uber-detailed Main Street at DLP, you'd understand.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    What WDI are you talking about? Now that Tom got pushed aside to WDW, WDI is much less political then it has ever been. We can thank John Lasseter for that.
    Unless Team Fitzgerald has packed up and physically relocated to TDO, then I doubt the politics will lessen. If he's still working out of Glendale, he's still close enough to get involved, whether or not folks like it.

I think Tony has more power now then he has ever had.
    If only that were true.

I'm with Orville on this one. Tony has more power now than he's had for the past six years. But that ain't saying much. He had far more clout during the EuroDisneyland days than he has now. Definitely.

And speaking of EuroDisneyland... I, too, would like to see Sotto return to Imagineering and help out with the Anaheim makeovers. One of my favorite rides of all time were the Soapbox Derby Racers at Knott's. YES!!

Wouldn't it be great to have a futuristic version of that ride on the PeopleMover track?
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    I think we should be in good hands with Tony. He's done some nice work. He seems to be passionate about Disneyland and the past. If we get some of the old things back with a bit of "the new" sprinkled on them, I think we will definitely all be pleased. PeopleMover, Sleeping Beauty Castle... The rumors alone of him bringing those back already give me a confidence boost.
    This is a bit of a side note, but IF they bring back the PeopleMover without changes people will comment "Glad it's back, but we used to have it so no big deal". At the same time if they make improvements people will comment "Oh man they screwed up..... it used to be so much better..." So what then is their incentive to actually re-build it?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12