Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Baseball tie-ins

So, after reading the thread on how DL is being advertised behind home plate at several MLB parks in California, I've come up with an idea or two with logic tie-ins for those teams (and the others) involved.

First, Disneyland should sponsor the annual in-season six game series known as "The Freeway Series" between the Los Angels Dodgers and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Orange County California et al. At one game in each series, every fan in attendence would get a coupon entitling themselves to a Two-Day Park Hopper Pass for the price of a regular One-Day Admission during certain periods of the year. Also, at another game, have Mickey, Minnie and a couple face characters (like Peter Pan and Wendy for example) for meet and greets during the game. And to top it off, at that same game, give away a pair of Mouse Ears (Dodger Blue at Chavez Ravine, Angels Red three miles from THPoE) with the Freeway Series logo to kids under the age of 14 (Dodgers) or between the ages of two and eighteen years of age (Angels).

As for the other three teams, the Giants, the Athletics and the Padres, have the same Two-Day Park Hopper for One Day Admission coupon promotion during one game, along with character visits. What do you think of these ideas?

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: Baseball tie-ins

Oakland A's fan would destroy Mickey on sight, so no 'meet & greets' up here. It seems giveaways make more sense in SoCal. Since Disney owned the Angels for many years, I'm not so sure how anxious Artie Moreno would be to have the Angels closely linked (in people's minds, at least) to the Disney Corp.(or the city of Anaheim, for that matter) again, even in a promotional affair. But who knows? I have learned to never underestimate the Disney Machine's innate ability at infiltration and subversion.

• Banned User

Why would an Oakland A's fan attempt such harm on Mickey? It's a promotion, he would get the standard security and such.

You must be mixing the Athletics fans with those of the Raiders IIRC because until 2009 they're sharing the same stadium.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    Why would an Oakland A's fan attempt such harm on Mickey? It's a promotion, he would get the standard security and such.

You must be mixing the Athletics fans with those of the Raiders IIRC because until 2009 they're sharing the same stadium.
    Actually I'm an A's season ticket holder, and the A's fans are tough. We are infamous (undeservedly so, in my opinion) for throwing objects at players and brawls-in-stands. We're not up to the level of vocal hostility as, say, the boo-birds in Philly ( ), but, still, we do have a 'reputation'.

A's fans, incidentally, for the most part hate the Angels, and since Disney owned them for a spell, we don't care much for seeing Disney represented at the Coliseum. I speak in generalities of course, but there exists an intra-divisional rivalry twixt the A's and Halos, that can get quite heated (see the recent 'throwing behind' Guerrero incident).

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Back to the Future. For many years, back in the day when Gene Autry owned the team, 20 years before Disney dreamed of getting into the sports business - a nightmare, as it turned out -

They had Angels/Disneyland Sunday Funday once a year. Fans would pay a higher price for a Sunday 1pm Angels game...which entitled them to unlimited use of attractions from after the game til midnight (this was back in the day of ticket books still).

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

[]Are you kidding about being tough? Here in Philadelphia, we booed Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny and a singing pig![/]

Getting back to the topic, the giveaway would not take place during an Angels or Giants series. Maybe a Rangers or Mariners or other low-drawing attendence series would be best for this type of promotion.

• Tower Fanatic Since 1996

I could see a Disney day working in San Francisco. Giants themed Mouse Ears for every kid, meet and greets, and luck fan giveaways all see logical. Heck, they could even send Goofy out to McCovey Cove in a kayak! However, I really don't see the idea working in Oakland. Their ballpark really doesn't evoke a great, friendly atmosphere like SF's does.

(And A's fans aren't that bad, it's Raiders fans that have the reputation.)
    Tyler

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

This is a great suggestion. One that I think would have little to none chance of actually happening but a great suggestion nonetheless.

Some interesting tie-ins with the Angels and Disney (besides the fact that Disney once owned them). Walt Disney and Gene Autry were actually good friends. It is no mere coincidence that the Angels now play in Anaheim. (Long Beach was considered for awhile but Autry didn't want the team's name changed to the Long Beach Angels. I also heard he didn't want people coming to the games in their beach attire). And Walt Disney actually produced the opening ceremonies and first game festivities of the first Angels game played there.

Off topic but a somewhat interesting -- Marilyn Monroe's last public appearance before she died was at an Angels game. She was involved in some pre-game promotion. This may have been when the Angels played at Dodger Stadium. She died a few days thereafter.

Wink Re: Baseball tie-ins

[]Are you kidding about being tough? Here in Philadelphia, we booed Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny and a singing pig![/]

Getting back to the topic, the giveaway would not take place during an Angels or Giants series. Maybe a Rangers or Mariners or other low-drawing attendance series would be best for this type of promotion.
    Unlike the A's in the Angels do not have any series that are "low drawing attendance".

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Off topic but a somewhat interesting -- Marilyn Monroe's last public appearance before she died was at an Angels game. She was involved in some pre-game promotion. This may have been when the Angels played at Dodger Stadium. She died a few days thereafter.
    She died in October 1962, after the Los Angeles Angels first of four seasons played at Dodger Stadium, which the Angels, treated like second class citizens at best, called "Chavez Ravine" for their home games. Anaheim Stadium, of course, opened in 1966.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peg-Leg Pete View Post
    Unlike the A's in the Angels do not have any series that are "low drawing attendance".
    Six years ago I never would have believed someone could make a statement like that. Since 2002, anyway, that has been the case.

•   

While 'boo-ing' is quite rude, it doesn't take a tough guy to just yell. However, this being said, it was not my intention to start a "Who's Tougher" Contest . In fact, I believe our rep is undeserved (notwithstanding the Carl Crawford incident, and the Francisco Cordero (I believe) chair-throwing/bullpen-A's fans brawl, and several other minor incidents). But in any case, Mickey and Reggie Jackson WILL get messed with.
    Back ON topic, however, I don't see a real incentive for Moreno to link the two franchises up 'to the same cart' again, given his exploration of larger fan bases than that of poor little Anaheim.

• Done and Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Six years ago I never would have believed someone could make a statement like that. Since 2002, anyway, that has been the case.
    Yup.

• Banned User

Didn't Reggie play as a member of the A's at the start and end (1987) of his career and isn't his number 9 retired in his honor?
    Last edited by mouseinphilly; 08-07-2007 at 10:10 AM.

•   

Didn't Reggie play as a member of the A's at the start and end (1987) of his career and isn't his number 9 retired in his honor?
    Die-hard A's fans never forgave Reggie for deserting to the Yankees at the heighth of his career with the A's (after a comparitively generous offer), and the heighth of A's dominance in the League. In fact, I was there the day they retired his #. He was booed .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast