Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tips for my first time - travelling from Australia

Hi all!

This is my first post, and I think it's going to be a long one!

My fiancé and I are going to be in Anaheim from November 29 till December 1st (so Thursday, Friday, Saturday). I believe the Saturday will be the Candlelight processional day. We are coming over for our honeymoon from Australia, so this is probably the only time I will ever get to Disneyland, so I want to make sure I don't miss anything! I have been searching through old posts, but couldn't find all the info I was after, so thought I would just post myself!

I just wanted some opinions as to whether the plan I have come up with so far looks like it could work. My plan is:

Thursday:
    Arrive Anaheim at 8:30, and DL soon after that (staying at the Sheraton).
    I was hoping to spend the first day racing around going on rides (I was considering using RideMax)

Friday:
    More relaxing day, getting the "feel" of DL, interacting with characters, going on rides we missed the first day, looking in gift shops, taking photos etc
    We have booked a character breakfast (I was going to go with 'Minney & friends on Main St, but I've read a lot of good reviews of Goofy's Kitchen, so now I'm not so sure)
    I was going to book at the Blue Bayou for lunch

Saturday:
    I figured that this would be the busiest day (weekend + candlelight), so was going to spend the day at CA (because I've heard it's not as busy!)
    I'll try to get priority seating for the candlelight if I can.

So what do you think?

Do you have any tips for me?

Do you think it would be better to spend the first two days the way I have set them out (racing around first day, and relaxed the second day), or should I spread it out over the two days? I really don't have an understanding of how much time it will take to do everything, so I'm finding it a little hard to plan!

Thanks for your help!

Re: Tips for my first time - travelling from Australia

Woo-hoo! First post reply!

First of all, CONGRATS on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon. Second of all, it sounds like you have your days pretty much loosely planned, which I think is the best way to approach your disney vacay. Also, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the offered character breakfasts, but remember, Goofy's Kitchen is not in the park it's at the other end of Downtown Disney at the Disneyland Hotel, so if you wanted to minimize your walking around time, I would definitely go with Main St......

Congrats again!

• Evaporate, tall person!

I live in the Inland Empire of Southern California..
    Blog Entries

Just take it all in and enjoy!

Congrats on the upcoming wedding and honeymoon!

DISNEYLAND: It even makes science geeks look cool!!

• I'm not really here

I think your plan sounds good. It's loose enough to allow for flexibility should things be down or what not. Congratulations and hope you have an excellent trip.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you've got a good plan in the works! Since this could be the last Disneyland trip you get to make for a long time, lunch at the Blue Bayou is a must!! And remember.... its your summer but its our winter! Usually So Cal has pretty mild winters, the days should be temperate, but the nights usually get pretty chilly so I suggest bringing jackets to the park and getting a locker to put them in during the day. That way, you don't have to take to much time out of your day to go back and forth to the motel.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Congrats and good wishes to you both during this special time.

I like you already...coming to Disneyland all the way from Australia for your honeymoon!

This is the time that we take our annual trip to D. Actually we'll be there M-F. And this is a great time. Christmas decorations are gorgeous, the Haunted Mansion is turned into Nightmare Before Christmas, Christmas Parade, Small World Holiday, fireworks and snow, character dressed for the holidays and smaller crowds - although it's been picking up the last few years. Do not miss Santa's Reindeer Round-Up to see Santa, decorate cookies, say hi to reindeer and the pardoned turkeys, etc. It's a great place to relax and enjoy incredible decorations, a few characters and some music.

Take your time and just soak up the magic.

Oh, and it really adds to the magic to have a snickerdoodle cookie (from Pooh's Corner) and a peppermint mocha while watching the fireworks and snow.

Have a great time, and if we hear an Aussie we'll ask if it's you!

Travel safely and have an unforgettable wedding.

• Disneymom

Congrats on the wedding. Married life is grand. I've been married for 17 years. I think you have the right idea about DL. Get the rushing out of the way. We normally go thru each land one at a time and keep track of the rides we went on and mark them off on the map. It doesn't make sense to run from one end of the park to another for a ride. Finish one land then move on to the next. Oh and don't forget to have a blast. Like that's possible. All of DL is a blast.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

YAY for Honeymoons in DL! You're going to have such a wonderful time. I have to agree with everyone posting that you should take your time and soak in all the Disney Magic. DL is an amazing place during the holidays with all the lights up and with Haunted Holiday at the Haunted Mansion. i recommend riding HM at least twice..

Be sure to take a sweater for the night hours, gets a bit chilly in SoCal.

If you can, post a trip report when you return!
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Welcome to MiceChat!

That is so great you are visiting our country for your honeymoon, quite an honor! When things seem busy, DCA is a good place to stop for a while. Use fastpass! Early and often. I wish you all the best and welcome to the USA as well.

Here's the good news. If it gets too crowded on your honeymoon sometimes the best ride is back at the hotel.

Chad
    Last edited by aashee; 08-08-2007 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Congratulations on the impending nuptials! Coming from someone who proposed to his fiance inside Disneyland last year, I can assure the place has a special magic that is unlike any other place I've ever been.

As the others have said, keep your schedule loose to enable you to change plans on the fly, as needed. We go to DL a couple of times a year and no matter what we say, we always end up being there from 9am through 12:30 or 1am. The park closes at 12, but we meander slowly back to Main Street and then go through all the shops there at the end of the day because they won't close them until every last potential shopper is done and gone. Plus, that way if we DO buy anything, we don't have to carry it around all day and we can take our time looking at everything.

The "Remember" Fireworks show: you two really need to see this show. It's handsdown the best one I've ever experienced - and I've seen both Boston Harbor and Washington DC here in the US. The bad news is that if you really want a primo viewing experience, you'll need to get into the Hub area at least an hour early, which is not optimal given you have have only this one day in Disneyland ever. The good news is that it's still decent viewing from further up Main St (toward the main gates),and I hear there view from Small World is okay, too (though I haven't see it myself).

Blue Bayou- definitely a must-do.
    Get your fastpasses for Indy and Space Mountain in the morning
    Definitely don't miss Nightmare B4 Xmas Haunted Mansion
    If they are doing two Fantasmics - catch the later one after the fireworks so you can get a good spot for fireworks.

Have a great trip and a wonderful wedding!

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Here's the good news. If it gets too crowded on your honeymoon sometimes the best ride is back at the hotel.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

The main thing that jumped out to me was on your Friday plans -- a character breakfast and Blue Bayou is a pretty heavy meal day! If that day works best for you, by all means do it, but go with Goofy's Kitchen and start your day there (I think the first seating is at 8 or 8:30) and then do a later lunch at Blue Bayou (last seating for lunch is 3:30 I think?) Either way, space them out enough and perhaps you will be so full that you just snack dinner? Otherwise, I would suggest BB on Friday and then start Saturday with Goofy's Kitchen.

Oh, and the fireworks that SoCalUW mentioned are unfortunately not playing in December -- they have the holiday show on during that time. I've never seen the holiday show, but I've heard it's pretty good.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalUW View Post
    The "Remember" Fireworks show: you two really need to see this show. It's handsdown the best one I've ever experienced - and I've seen both Boston Harbor and Washington DC here in the US.
    This is a fantastic fireworks show, but it doesn't play during Christmas. The "Believe... In Holiday Magic" should be playing. It is also a great show.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalUW View Post
    We go to DL a couple of times a year and no matter what we say, we always end up being there from 9am through 12:30 or 1am. The park closes at 12, but we meander slowly back to Main Street and then go through all the shops there at the end of the day because they won't close them until every last potential shopper is done and gone. Plus, that way if we DO buy anything, we don't have to carry it around all day and we can take our time looking at everything.
    The park does stay open usually 1 hour past the closing time to allow for shopping. But they do start pushing you out at the hour.

Also, if you make purchases and are staying at the resort hotel, you can have them sent back to the hotel so you don't have to carry them. If you aren't staying on property, you can take the packages to the Newsstand and they will hold them for you for later pick up. (We do this all the time.)
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Wishin' On A Star!!!!

Congratulations to both of you!!!! If it hasn't been mentioned by previous posts, be sure to stop at City Hall on Main street when you first come in to get some free special day buttons. Also it's fun to get the bride and groom Mickey ears. Take a bunch of cheesy pics and be sure to dazzle us with the details.......well, not all the details!!! Have a magical memorable love love lovely trip!
    DisneyBroad54

Good points Malcon10t. Didn't know that about the Newstands, too, so thanks for the tip.
    Blue Bayou for a late lunch is also better b/c it's less busy, you can get a better table, and the service is better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast