Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Social Imagineer

Re: Anyone ever seen this Eisner quote before?

Yeah, but the problem is that Walt Disney could be trusted to plus Disneyland with improvements, and his successors have mostly proven the adage 'it's easier to destroy than to create.'

There's nothing wrong with adding attractions. I have no problem with Indiana Jones or Splash Mountain going up where there was previously nothing. It's when things are torn down to be replaced with questionable improvements or, in far more cases, with new areas of nothing - that I then have a big problem.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I agree. Cali. Adventure is an example of that

• For old time sake

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    Exactly.

Submarine Voyage...... nothing.
    Rocket Rods...... nothing.
    Super Star Limo...... nothing.
    Skyway..... nothing.

Granted, a few of those are just recently under planning, but look how long they've sat empty. Even Tomorrowland was almost dead until the last couple months.

I agree!!! Now I am not a DL timeline guru but House of the future went in, was taken down and while it is not on the same site, Matterhorn came along shortly after. When the Flying Saucers didn't work, soemthing else was put there. Carousel of Progress was replaced with America sings.....and they close THAT for years to give us Innoventions??? UGH!!! What I think Disney needs to do is put in quality rides that will stand the test of time sort of....I mean Space Mountain is how old? People LOVE that ride. Look at all the rides that were around 50 yrs ago...Peter Pan? Yea, there's NEVER a wait for that ride is there??? True, if they all stood the test of time there would be no excitement but I'd rather have a few rides last than every 5 yrs see a new and improved ride go in place only to be torn out cause no one likes the movie it's themed after anymore. Capt EO was doomed from the get go cause it went in once MJ lost his appeal. I remember being disappointed in 6th grade because we were told in an assembly about Capt EO at school and we all groaned.

Ok, stepping off my soapbox and hoping I made sense. my mind is still in a sickly train of thought
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    BTMRR over rainbow canyon what-ja-ma-call-it: yes.
    Pal, them's fightin' words.

A hustle-hurtle roller coaster blasting you past hardly noticeable features and containing a vaguely mining-ish theme versus a leisurely ride through mountains, waterfalls, desert, valleys and a cool glowing rainbow cavern? Nature's Wonderland was one of Walt's babies.

Sorry, the comparison ain't there.

Yes - this is just my opinion.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NWRREngineer

A hustle-hurtle roller coaster blasting you past hardly noticeable features and containing a vaguely mining-ish theme versus a leisurely ride through mountains, waterfalls, desert, valleys and a cool glowing rainbow cavern? Nature's Wonderland was one of Walt's babies.

Well, at least we agree that the comparison ain't there.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Traveler to the south

Good thread...I agree with many of you. If something didn't work they REPLACED it with something else, hopefully better. They didn't just tear stuff down and not "better" themselves! And I'm old school and I do miss the Mine Train...bring it back with the PeopleMover!
    "Remember: when life gives you lemons, just be glad you're not a zebra."
    - Skipper Mike

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I think that they should take pooh out at disneyland and replace it with the country bears for the time being. After pooh was taken out, I realized how much better the country bears were.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by NWRREngineer

I happen to like BTMRR... not a whole lot... but enough. That said, however, I do miss the Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland. Anyone here remember the stage coach and connestoga wagons? There's something to be said for simple and leisurely pleasures. Our recent rafting trip down the Grand Canyon so reminded me of it sometimes. There's no doubt that Disneyland must continue to grow and upgrade. You can't set it in amber. One must take care, however, to recognize the iconic status much of the park has developed over the years. It's only going to get harder to remove something for new development as time goes by. Take a moment to sit down and make your list of Disneyland attractions you would allow to be removed and replaced. You'll have some. Many of us will write the same things. It will be a short list, though. As time goes by, the list will grow even shorter. Perhaps its time to preserve and maintain Disneyland while growing and innovating in DCA.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    DCA over parking lot:...
    John Hench said he liked it better as a parking lot. I'm with John.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Take a moment to sit down and make your list of Disneyland attractions you would allow to be removed and replaced. You'll have some. Many of us will write the same things. It will be a short list, though. As time goes by, the list will grow even shorter. Perhaps its time to preserve and maintain Disneyland while growing and innovating in DCA.
    I have only 10 attractions that I would not want replaced - ever. I included all of the "mountains" here, simply because they're important to Disneyland's skyline, especially the Matterhorn - the only mountain I wouldn't mind sacrificing for something better would be Big Thunder, but that's just my opinion. And I kept Pirates and the Haunted Mansion simply because they are still amazing to this day, regardless of their age and sometimes dated feel - they're a very important part to everybody's visit to Disneyland simply because they deliver such an original experience that it would be too big of a loss to have them removed.
    Anyway, here is my list. I think a lot of you would agree with me when you think of it without nostalgia in your mind. If you think of a changing, innovative place that takes out old stuff for more impressive attractions then I think that I wouldn't mind a lot of stuff being removed- just as long as it is replaced with something that is better - and I think a lot of you have the same feeling about that as well

Main Street Vehicles (not because I ride them, because I don't think I actually ever have.. but simply because they add so much to the atmosphere, that they need to stay to keep all of Main Street's themeing intact.)
    Enchanted Tiki Room (If this ends up getting ripped out, I guess I would be very sad, but excited at what could come in its place. So in the end, if something bigger and better replaces it then I'm for it. Just no cheesy crappy overlay/re-dos like WDW's)
    Jungle Cruise
    Haunted Mansion
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Splash Mountain
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Matterhorn
    Space Mountain
    Disneyland Railroad

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Rock Star Minion

What, no Sleeping Beauty Castle???
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey

Main Street Vehicles (not because I ride them, because I don't think I actually ever have.. but simply because they add so much to the atmosphere, that they need to stay to keep all of Main Street's themeing intact.)
    Enchanted Tiki Room (If this ends up getting ripped out, I guess I would be very sad, but excited at what could come in its place. So in the end, if something bigger and better replaces it then I'm for it. Just no cheesy crappy overlay/re-dos like WDW's)
    Jungle Cruise
    Haunted Mansion
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Splash Mountain
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Matterhorn
    Space Mountain
    Disneyland Railroad
    DONE.
    On your next visit to Disneyland there will be no:
    Fantasyland
    Sleeping Beauty Castle
    Storybookland
    Toontown
    Monorail
    Rivers Of America (including Columbia and Mark Twain)
    Golden Horseshoe
    Autopia
    Indiana Jones
    or
    Innoventions.

OK... I'll give you Innoventions.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    DONE.
    On your next visit to Disneyland there will be no:
    Fantasyland
    Sleeping Beauty Castle
    Storybookland
    Toontown
    Monorail
    Rivers Of America (including Columbia and Mark Twain)
    Golden Horseshoe
    Autopia
    Indiana Jones
    or
    Innoventions.

OK... I'll give you Innoventions.
    He didn't mean he wanted everything else completly gone with nothing in it's place. He meant he wouldn't be traumatized if any other ride was replaced by something else. And I think I agree with him, if anything else was replaced by something better or upgraded, I wouldn't mind.

Change is a good thing. As long as it's good change.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    He didn't mean he wanted everything else completly gone with nothing in it's place. He meant he wouldn't be traumatized if any other ride was replaced by something else. And I think I agree with him, if anything else was replaced by something better or upgraded, I wouldn't mind.

Change is a good thing. As long as it's good change.
    I agree. I will, however, be replacing everything in my list with something else. I promise... it will be better.

• Minion

In my openion, there is only 1 ride that will always remain safe as long as Disneyland is open. Thats the DLRR. Its Wants true legacy. I also think its in some contract or something... =)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast