•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

How long in minutes is Space Mountain?

I am a big chicken! I don't ride rollercoasters usually. My traveling companions are trying to convince me to go on Space Mountain. I checked out the photos posted on this website a few days ago. I honestly think the colors might give me a migraine headache.

That said. I was wondering, just how long in minutes is the ride on Space Mountain?

Now I know people wait a long time to ride the ride. We were at Cedar Point last year, and they have a ride there (the Top Thrill Dragster, I think) that is only 25 seconds. They shoot you out, and you go straght out and over the top and back again. 25 seconds. I timed it. I waited for someone to ride it for over 3 hours. The ride broke down twice. 3 hours later, she emerged. You would have thought they gave her gold, the way she raved about the ride.

So I am just curious about the actual lengths of some of the more thrilling rides at Disneyland.

Space Mountain?
    Splash Mountain?
    Big Thunder Mountain?
    Matterhorn Bobsleds?
    Any others that you may know the times on - I am going to be a first timer to Disneyland and a big chicken about RollerCoasters. I probably will ride Splash Mountain though.

Thanks
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 07-06-2005 at 07:15 AM. Reason: typos

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

Re: How long is minutes is Space Mountain?

It's a pretty good lengthed ride. Maybe a couple of minutes? But it's not scary at all. There's no big drops or anything like that. You basically just go around in a big circle over and over again. It's fun!

Barbara, I'm kind of a wuss when it comes to roller coasters but here are my experiences with DL:

The drop with Splash is pretty much identical to the one in WDW so if you can handle that, you are good. The ride is a lot of fun and the other mild drops are nothing to concern yourself over unless you just hate getting wet!

Big Thunder I prefer at DL....it seems a little smoother than WDW's

Matterhorn was kind of jerky, but not scary really. Keep in mind the seating is kinda funky.....ride with someone you like because you're gonna be nestled up against them (butt to crotch..woo hoo! We don't call it Matterhorny for nothing )The plus side to that is we didn't get tossed around too much.

Space Mountain I typically don't ride at WDW but I am going to go on DL's Space....if for no other reason they say it's much smoother now.

As far as lengths of the rides go, I'd say nothing is over 2-3 minutes....but that's just me guessing.

• Travel-Sized Guardian

Hmm....I've never clocked the rides personally myself (perhaps something I should do while i'm at the park this time...I have a timer on my watch. ), but i'm guessing they take no longer than 2 to 3 minutes, or at most 4. The coasters aren't all that bad, they're tamer than any other thrill park would have (and I speak from experience here...i'm a big chicken as well, I have to shut my eyes when i go on upside down coasters at Great America or Six Flags! xD)...my own grandmother actually enjoyed Space Mountain, because you can't really see where you're going on the ride. And Splash Mountain is awesome, Especially on a hot day. ^^

• e komo mai

Well, how long is the soundtracks that are out there that score the ride? That's a good indication...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianDragon_Mushu
    Hmm....I've never clocked the rides personally myself (perhaps something I should do while i'm at the park this time...I have a timer on my watch. ), but i'm guessing they take no longer than 2 to 3 minutes, or at most 4. The coasters aren't all that bad, they're tamer than any other thrill park would have (and I speak from experience here...i'm a big chicken as well, I have to shut my eyes when i go on upside down coasters at Great America or Six Flags! xD)...my own grandmother actually enjoyed Space Mountain, because you can't really see where you're going on the ride. And Splash Mountain is awesome, Especially on a hot day. ^^
    My Aspie daughter loved Space Mountain because you can't see. She hates Splash Mountain and is terrified of it. She will ride Indy and love it if we allow her to close her eyes and look a the floorboard. For me, if I start feeling motion sickness, closing my eyes on the ride works (only one I even sometimes get that on is Screaming.)
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

I have a similar issue....I chickened out of doing Screamin' because I could see exactly what was going on....I much prefer to be kinda clueless

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

Re: How long in minutes is Space Mountain?

Space clocks in at about 3 minutes. The actual coaster part is only about 1.5 minutes, because the full first HALF is the "launch" sequence which involves climbing all 3 lifts to get to the top of the mountain (which is NOT turbulent or "wild" in any way).
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

• That's Hawt

Old Space Mountain: 2:48 (I can't imagine the new one is much longer)
    Splash: 9:30
    BTMRR: 3:30
    Matterhorn Bobsleds:~2 minutes
    California Screamin': 2:36
    Mulholland Madness: ?
    Gadget's Go Coaster: 0:44
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Rock Star Minion

I suggest closing your eyes during the launch sequence if you think you'll get a migraine from the lights. Downhill portion of the ride will be pretty dark. then at teh very end, close your eyes again.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    Gadget's Go Coaster: 0:44
    Ugh. Why bother? Yes, yes it's for kids. I know I know...

• Banned User

[QUOTE=willowsmom7]...Matterhorn was kind of jerky, but not scary really. Keep in mind the seating is kinda funky.....ride with someone you like because you're gonna be nestled up against them (butt to crotch..woo hoo! We don't call it Matterhorny for nothing )The plus side to that is we didn't get tossed around too much....QUOTE]

Matterhorn also has a somewhat sudden drop that always throws me around but I still like it. It's on the tomorrowland side of the mountain. Splash Mountain is fine no drops that are really thrilling. (The last one is actually a lot more fun then scary) Big Thunder Mountain, well I just won't go on it because of it's, let's call them, "safety issues" over the last 2 years. Space Mountain I haven't been on since the refurbishment so I don't exactly know how bad the lighting might be.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I know I have said this before, but I am going to say it again. MiceChatters never fail to satisfactorily answer my questions.

Thanks