Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: The Disney Gallery -- Did they change their mind?

I am so sad. I've been visiting the gallery since I was a kid (and that was some time ago).

The closure was confirmed in internal communications, and it was officially for conversion into a "Guest offering" for the Dreams campaign.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    Sadly, their NEW EXHIBIT is the dumb Cinderella Suite.
    Yeah. So we have heard. But the part that gets me is "Please visit us again."

This must be a stock sign. They should have just said, "Sorry the Gallery is closed." Or better yet not have any sign and just block off the entrance.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWGirl View Post
    Well, the banner I saw last week said "Disney Gallery - 1987-2007". I think it's a done deal
    That was their 20th anniversary banner. But, I also believe it's gone for good, sad as that is. Remember, 20,000 Leagues at the Magic Kingdom was down "for refurbishment" until it was ripped out.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Yeah. So we have heard. But the part that gets me is "Please visit us again."

This must be a stock sign. They should have just said, "Sorry the Gallery is closed." Or better yet not have any sign and just block off the entrance.

Yah it meant to say "please visit us again.... after our winners have fornicated new disney fans within these walls"

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Yah it meant to say "please visit us again.... after our winners have fornicated new disney fans within these walls"
    I'm half tempted to make that my quote of the week.

Yep, that's just a standard sign. It's a for sure thing. They just acquired and cleaned up some storage space for it.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

*sigh* looks like the DG is gone for good.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Defying gravity

• All you need is LOVE

i bet they used a sign they had up there

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

It may come back... just not where it was.
    -Bill

• Man of Logic and Reason

If you go to the Disney website where they list all of the upcoming events for DL and WDW and click on the link to the Disney Gallery you'll see that the link leads to an error message (missing page type of thing). So that pretty much cements the fact that it is gone for good. I mean, maybe not even coming back as the "Disney Gallery" ever again.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

The conversations I've had with Gallery employees is that it will not reopen.

This is a big disappointment for me. I've been somewhat underwhelmed by the exhibits that the Disney Gallery has had over the last couple of years. Which is really unfortunate because Disneyland has such a rich history that there was really no reason for the lackluster exhibits lately... well, unless you count shameless merchandising as a good reason for poor exhibits. Trouble is that the exhibits weren't even interesting enough to cause guests to want to buy the merchandise.

The part I'm troubled by the most is the possibility that once the "Year Of A Million Dreams" is over, the "Family Suite" is going to give way to additional dining space for Club 33. With a nine year backlog of Club 33 applicants, and the opportunity to possibly double their memberships at $7500-$10,000 per membership, it's easy to see why this would be an attractive proposition... to Disney.

There are several places in Disneyland that are very special to folks who are fans of Walt Disney and Disneyland. One is Walt's Apartment over the firehouse on Main Street USA, and another is Club 33 in New Orleans Square. Yet another is the Disney Gallery, because it was to be Walt and Roy Disney's personal family suite after NOS was completed. These places are special because they were very personal to Walt, and many Disney fans want to be part of that, if only for a few minutes.

With Walt's passing in 1966, the suite sat empty for 20 years before being converted to the Disney Gallery. This was a wonderful way to honor the memory of Walt and Roy, because the Gallery gave Disney a way to exhibit some of it's finest... both artwork, artists and scale models. Plus, it gave access to the general public an area that was special to the Disney family... something that was not possible for the general public with Walt's Apartment and Club 33.

I mourn the passing of the Disney Gallery because it's closure prevents future Disneyland fans (some of whom haven't even been born yet) the opportunity to see firsthand one of Walt's special places. Unless, of course, you have money, influence, or both.
    Last edited by Circarama; 08-09-2007 at 09:56 AM.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• A bear band bear

Thought I'd post here instead of starting a new thread...

Anyone know where the art kiosks are now? I still need a few more of the Fantasyland artists' concept prints. I believe there was a kiosk at the World of Disney, but I can't say for sure...

TIA!

• Hiding in the shadows

They are probably using that sign until a final decision can hopefully be made for where to move the gallery items, then they will put out a "gallery has moved" sign (this i smy hope anyway, that it will reopen somewhere).

They havent updated the prize list yet (just checked) to show the 2008 prizes yet so if YOAMD continues, they would update the suite there once we get closer. The Mickey penthouse suite says 367 prizes starting in December 2006 so the new suite would need to be ready probably sometime in January.

So sad to know that the gallery is gone.

A little piece of heaven

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    The conversations I've had with Gallery employees is that it will not reopen.

This is a big disappointment for me. I've been somewhat underwhelmed by the exhibits that the Disney Gallery has had over the last couple of years. Which is really unfortunate because Disneyland has such a rich history that there was really no reason for the lackluster exhibits lately... well, unless you count shameless merchandising as a good reason for poor exhibits. Trouble is that the exhibits weren't even interesting enough to cause guests to want to buy the merchandise.

The part I'm troubled by the most is the possibility that once the "Year Of A Million Dreams" is over, the "Family Suite" is going to give way to additional dining space for Club 33. With a nine year backlog of Club 33 applicants, and the opportunity to possibly double their memberships at $7500-$10,000 per membership, it's easy to see why this would be an attractive proposition... to Disney.

There are several places in Disneyland that are very special to folks who are fans of Walt Disney and Disneyland. One is Walt's Apartment over the firehouse on Main Street USA, and another is Club 33 in New Orleans Square. Yet another is the Disney Gallery, because it was to be Walt and Roy Disney's personal family suite after NOS was completed. These places are special because they were very personal to Walt, and many Disney fans want to be part of that, if only for a few minutes.

With Walt's passing in 1966, the suite sat empty for 20 years before being converted to the Disney Gallery. This was a wonderful way to honor the memory of Walt and Roy, because the Gallery gave Disney a way to exhibit some of it's finest... both artwork, artists and scale models. Plus, it gave an opportunity to the general public an area that was special to the Disney family... something that was not possible for the general public with Walt's Apartment and Club 33.

I mourn the passing of the Disney Gallery because it's closure prevents future Disneyland fans (some of whom haven't even been born yet) the opportunity to see firsthand one of Walt's special places. Unless, of course, you have money, influence, or both.

I totally agree with you. The Disney Gallery was my favorite place in the park not only because it has artwork which I love, but it was rich in detail and history.

It's horrible and makes me ill to think that some random joe family who might not care about the man will live in that apartment before Walt or Roy ever did.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast