Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Recently seen at Vault Disney... Is this really necessary?

On a recent visit to Disneyland, Tigerlily and I visited Downtown Disney and decided to drop into Vault Disney...

I know that Vault Disney is an outlet for high-end attire, and yes, some of it is somewhat risque'. Having said that, I wasn't prepared for this:

And apparently, this little vinyl guy comes inside the box.

I researched the movie "Runaway Brain" and here is what I found:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Runaway Brain is an Academy Award nominated 7-minute animated short-subject produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation Paris, and starring Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse. It was released on August 11, 1995 attached to the feature A Kid in King Arthur's Court and was re-released on July 16, 1997 in front of Disney's live-action remake of George of the Jungle. In international theaters, it was shown in front of A Goofy Movie.

Plot
    In the cartoon, Mickey is hooked on a video game based on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs when Minnie arrives to find that Mickey forgot their dating anniversary. Mickey comes up with a last-minute idea to take her to a miniature golf course. Showing her a newspaper, Minnie misinterprets and thinks Mickey is taking her to Hawaii, a trip that would cost $999.99. An excited Minnie skips out the door before Mickey can set her straight, causing Mickey to worry about how to earn so much money. Pluto shows his master the "help wanted" ads, and Mickey finds an ad for work with a Dr. Frankenollie (an inside joke reference to Disney animators Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston) for a day of "mindless work" that would instantly give him $999.99.
    Mickey goes to the home of the simian Dr. Frankenollie (played by Kelsey Grammer of Frasier fame). When he knocks the door, Mickey gets sucked downward through a trap door into Frankenollie's laboratory, where Frankenollie plans to switch Mickey's brain with that of his monster, Julius (portrayed by perennial nemesis Black Pete). Although Dr. Frankenollie is killed in the experiment, the brain transfer is a success, with Mickey's mind ending up in Julius' giant body, and Julius finding himself in control of Mickey's body.
    The dimwitted and insane Julius finds Mickey's wallet in his pocket and, finding a photo of Minnie, is instantly smitten with her. He escapes the laboratory on a hunt for Minnie, whom he finds shopping for a bathing suit. When the real Mickey (in Julius' body) shows up to save his girlfriend, Minnie screams for help and runs until Mickey convinces her of who he is. Julius continues to pursue Minnie, leading to an epic battle between the two of them ("Go get em, Mickey," cheers Minnie. "Rip his ears off!").
    During the course of their battle, Julius and Mickey fall onto electric wires, which cause their minds to transfer back to their correct bodies. Although Julius is more of a threat than ever now that he is again in control of his own monstorous body, Mickey manages to subdue him and save Minnie. Julius falls from the tall building with a bungee rope, which then winds itself up and down like a yo-yo.
    The closing scene of the film finds Mickey and Minnie on their way to Hawaii, with Julius providing the horsepower for their innertube as he swims towards the same photo Mickey had in his wallet that Julius saw before.
    I don't get why Disney would promote an image of Mickey Mouse that is so detrimental to his wholesome image... something that Disney is seemingly always trying to protect.
    I understand that it's "edgy" and that some people may get a kick out of seeing Mickey Mouse as a crazed victim of a botched brain swap . What I don't understand is why Disney, after working so many years to protect the image of it's most recognizable character, would not only allow something like this on Disney property, but would be selling something like this from one of it's own stores.

Someone help me out here.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Recently seen at Vault Disney... Is this really necessary?

Sorry but I love pyscho mickey, how cool is that!! I hope they sell them at WDW because I want one now.

I see your point but I kind of like the fact that they took Mickey "out of the box" just shows me that he can be a real human er mouse...well you get the idea. LOL

I think they set the story up well enough that you know that it isn't the real Mickey Mouse, it was the transfer of brains and he did afterall take him to Hawaii at the end, so that shows that Mickey is kind to everyone, no matter what you look like.

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

There is another thread on the WDW page, I might have seen it floating around these boards as wella about a Tinker Bell shirt that celebrates the drug culture art work of the 1960's and 1970's. If this is the kind of junk Disney is going to allow it's characters to represented with, then why keep up the fight to let Mickey in the public domain? It couldn't be any worse that what the people in charge of character branding is allowing....dillution of brand quailty, welcome back to the pre-Eisner era folks.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Directly directed

I love that short! I think it's fun to own mickey in other ways then his usual form.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

yeah... i'm going to agree with most and say... i think it's cool , necessary? maybe not , but cool none the less , then again , what merchandise in Disneyland is really necessary to begin with... other than the ponchos on a rainy day...

My Maleficent tattoo

• UT99 Forever

LOL. I got to check that out!!

However, I think your point has some validity. Small ones may see that and flip out a little.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

You know there's a lot of stuff I don't agree with at the Disney Vault... this is just another thing... t-shirt prices for super thin t-shirt that you need to layer just to make it PG-13 is another thing.

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's fun. Folks need to lighten up.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by ZedIzDead View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with it. It's fun. Folks need to lighten up.
    Yeah, I guess your right. But heck, why stop there? They could make a full-size costume out of it and have the little bugger running around Fantasyland and Toontown. I'm sure the parents would love that.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

•   
    • Super Hero

I don't like Vault Disney. It's like Hot Topic Disney.

Blech.
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    Yeah, I guess your right. But heck, why stop there? They could make a full-size costume out of it and have the little bugger running around Fantasyland and Toontown. I'm sure the parents would love that.
    Actually, I think my kids would love it. Then again they are 7 and 11 so they would find the humor in it. I couldn't see them using that costume for any young children.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It all about sales. When few people are willing to shell big bucks for that item, It'll be off the shelves. I don't have a problem with it but there probably 10,000 different things I'd rather buy than that.

Chad

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Wow, the short sounds extremely interesting. I should borrow that sometime and watch it, get a view of Mickey's dark side.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    I don't like Vault Disney. It's like Hot Topic Disney.

Blech.
    That is exactly the reason they built it. To compete directly with Hot Topic.

• Man O Lantern

"Runaway Brain" is one of the few Mickey (and friends) shorts made in the last thirty years that I actually like!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast