Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: disabled passes

• Minion

disabled passes

ok so during my 2 week trip to florida i hurt my knee and it hurts to walk on it too long or stand for too long. its a little difficult to do stairs too...

how hard would it be for me to get a disabled pass when i go?? i have a brace on it, but will that be enough??

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: disabled passes

There are no longer "disabled passes" per se, but what you need to do is visit City Hall when you arrive, and talk to them, explaining your situation. If it is an endurance issue, they will recommend you get a wheelchair and take advantage of FASTPASS, and that would solve the problems.

If you don't want to do a wheelchair, and feel you can walk, you might be able to get a card that will allow you to avoid stairs. But for example, in Space Mountain, you still are required to wait and use the regular queue. When you get to the loading station, you need to show the CM loading your card and let them know. When you return to the station, you exit to the LEFT and a hallway to avoid the new stairs.

At Indy, about the same thing, you use the regular queue until just before boarding, and then are allowed to use a set of elevators instead of the stairs. If you end up at the right side when unloading, you need to let the CM know you need to exit to the LEFT to access the elevator, and not the stairs.

If you are unsure of the policies, just ask any CM at the entrance to the attraction....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Rock Star Minion

Maybe. You have to be very descriptive in your restricted movement at City Hall.

Of course, a disabled pass would be no good. It would have to be enabled for it to be usable.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

it was disabled when people abused it....

now the new version is complex but makes sence...

• out & about

My brother and I both have had Skin Cancer and used to be able to use the disabled pass to avoid waiting in outside, sun exposed, queue areas. but now the cm's at city hall wont even give it a second thought before they deny this sort of accomodation. As a result we usually only visit disneyland during the evening now and especially enjoy cloudy and rainy days. If the sun doesnt kill me my dermatologist will!!
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

^ A hint..of you show up wearing clothing that prevents the sunlight getting to you (such as long shirts and pants, and a good hat) you have a better chance of getting a card to allow you to avoid standing in the sun....

Quote Originally Posted by WRDest79
    My brother and I both have had Skin Cancer and used to be able to use the disabled pass to avoid waiting in outside, sun exposed, queue areas. but now the cm's at city hall wont even give it a second thought before they deny this sort of accomodation. As a result we usually only visit disneyland during the evening now and especially enjoy cloudy and rainy days. If the sun doesnt kill me my dermatologist will!!

Both my parents are diabetic and were told by their doctors to avoid standing in the sun for long periods of time and even gave my parents letters stating that, but the CM's in city hall wouldn't even look at the letters....they just handed them back and said that we'd have to rent wheelchairs. My parents can walk fine, it's just if they have to stand in the sun for too long they run the risk of having their sugar level getting too low and passing out. When we went to WDW in the summer of 2004 my parents got special assistance passes and the way they worked it there was if the ride had a fastpass entrance (which most do) then we just went in through there, but if there was no fastpass, then we would go in through the exits. I guess in WDW they're more accomidating since it gets much hotter there in summer. I don't think that discontinuing the special assistance passes are going to stop people from pretending to be disabled so they can get on the rides faster...it just means that they now have to rent a wheelchair or something.
    "Disney Crystal Power! Make-Up!"

• Travel-Sized Guardian

Hm. My dad has almost the same problem...he's lost the cartiledge in his right knee due to surgery done on him after an accident at work, and his other one is starting to go bad. He can *walk* fine, but if he stands up for too long, he gets excruciating pain in his knees. The wheelchair is absolutely not an option for him; he's a big man, and none of us are strong enough to push him in it. The ECV's aren't really an option either, since they're way too expensive to rent for a WEEK's visit, and he didn't really like driving them in the first place. Believe me, he tried it last summer, it yielded horrible results. He doesn't wanna do it again. He had a doctor's note last time, and, same thing in Helios77's case. They simply would NOT look at it, they told him to get a wheelchair.

What burns me is, I think that the wheelchairs are more susceptible to use abuse than the disabled passes EVER were. I remember seeing this whole group of teenagers one time while at the park...every time I saw them, a different member of their group was using the chair. I even saw them switch at one point. They had seemingly no problems, no injuries.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

when I was in DLR in 2002 there was a kid in a wheelchair with his parents, he got in front of us while in line for indy, and later on that day we saw him running around and chasing his siblings, it irked me so much. I really wish Disney had the options for disabled people that they did, but I wish it wasnt in human nature to abuse that privelege.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

For those who need a wheelchair and are visiting the DLR, a recommended vendor is Alan's Wheelchairs...

http://www.anaheimoc.org/listings/in...8&subCatID=231

They are a LOT cheaper than Disney, and will deliver to your hotel, so you have the chair to use going to and from the hotel to the DLR, and anywhere else you want to go

What about mentallty handicapped children? My cousin is Autistic, and waiting in line for a long time usually gets him screaming.
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• Who's your DaddyB?

Disney is exceptionally accomadating for groups with autistic children or adults accompanying them. Every castmember I have ever seen encounter an autistic child guest has been extremely warm and tender to the child. I doubt you would even need to get a Guest Assistance Card (GAC), just enter through the marked handicapped entrance (or wait at the marked handicapped entrance gate), and a castmember will come over to assist you.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

My cousin is also autistic and epileptic. We have thought about a Disney trip but were worried about it because of the discontinuation of the special assistance pass. Glad to hear they are so accomidating. Maybe I can ge tmy family to rethink the trip!

• insufferable know-it-all

You know what I would do in your case is write to DL ahead of time about your concerns, asking if they do anything to accomodate, then bring their response with you to City Hall to be sure any promises are fulfilled.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• That Guy

This is an interesting thread.

It seems like other people ruin it for people that need the help like the aforementioned posts. Every reason I have read to need some accommodation was valid, but to be honest, the skin cancer was a little trickier to swallow. Everyone is at risk for skin cancer, and you can really limit your exposure by wearing long sleeves and a hat, so that is a pretty easy remedy, but I respect if that option isn't as palatable.

I wonder when people will try and get assistance due to psychological issues.... I can imagine it has already been attempted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast