Question Disneyland Dining Plan....

Has anyone ever used the dining plan offered at DL? I've used the one offered at WDW and it was a great help not having to worry about setting money aside for food. Are there any differences between the DL dining plan and the WDW plan?
    "Disney Crystal Power! Make-Up!"

• Disneyland Bound

Re: Disneyland Dining Plan....

I bought the 3 day plan for my trip coming up in October. However, when I researched the Disneyland and DCA food and prices (casual, walkup dining) I found that the coupons will only cover bare minumum for food. They include the character breakfasts, but not one each day. The 3 day plan will buy two breakfasts- don't know what you're supposed to do on the odd day, and then a series of "vouchers" to cover other dining in the park. If your family wants three meals a day plus snacks, (which mine probably will between 2 adults, 2 hungry teenagers and an 8 year old snack fiend) the vouchers will cover 1/2 to 3/4 of the cost- depending on the size of appetite and the food choice.

I still thought it would be convenient to use the vouchers and would prevent us from having to carry lots of cash or be whipping out the CC's constantly. We just added the voucher plan to our "package" when we bought our rooms and tickets.

• A Pirate's life for me!

^^^^^

Yeah, that's it.

You're essentially "pre-paying" for your food.

• I was deleted.

From what I have learned the DL dining plan is nothing like the sister version at WDW. The dining locations and type of dining vary a bit too. I would suggest it for the reasons lil lisa said, but you aren't really getting much of a savings like you are with the WDW plan (especially with WDW free dining packages.)

• Banned User

I have done it 2 times, and I have loved it. I love the pre pay so I can eat with out hunting for money. I did go with a 5 day plan though we were there only 3 days though, for snacks and stuff, but it worked out awsome for us Have a wonderful trip!!

• Disneymom

We found that the prepay food vouchers were more than enough. We only did the character breakfast one day and went to Buzz place or main street the other days.

Quote Originally Posted by Helios77 View Post
    Has anyone ever used the dining plan offered at DL? I've used the one offered at WDW and it was a great help not having to worry about setting money aside for food. Are there any differences between the DL dining plan and the WDW plan?
    The DLR plan is nothing like the WDW plan. Think of the DLR plan as a series of no interest loans to Disney. You will get those no interest loans back in the form of food when you hand them a voucher. But here is the kicker. If you do not eat the amount of the voucher, the rest of that loan just turned into a gift. If you go over the amount of the voucher, you end up paying the difference.

thanks for all the info, it'll be interesting to see how this will work out for me.
    "Disney Crystal Power! Make-Up!"

• Can Only Wish For More!

Remember, when you use the vouchers, tear them out of the book IN FRONT of the CM. We will appreciate you more.

LOL...I'm always told by my leads to only accept them when torn from the book in front of me! :0)
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Lost in Wonderland

From what I've heard (I've personally never used them) its not very useful and it can limit your options and there doesn't seem to be any advantages of getting the Dining plan. It doesn't seem to save you money and just like money you can lose the coupons.

Personally I'd rather use credit cards at Disneyland, if they are lost/stolen I can call and cancel and I don't pay for charges I don't make.

• Wishing I was at the DLR!

Also, you do not get change back with the vouchers. So if you buy, for example: something that's $11.00, you would give a $10 voucher, and $1 cash, otherwise you will lose money...

I've used the Dining Vouchers for a couple of years now, and for a 4 day stay I get the 3 day Dining Plan. I get the 3 days because my husband and I also will eat meals at the GCH (where we stay), either Storytellers or White Water Snacks, which do not accept the vouchers with the exception of Storytellers, which will accept the voucher for the Character Breakfast.

The Dining Plan works very well for us as we eat the majority of our meals at either DL or DCA, plus I like the fact that I've already put aside money for our food.

Have a great trip, and let us know how your experience with Dining Plan works out!
    Last edited by Angelica Gracey; 08-13-2007 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Update info...

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

There are so many restaurants within walking distance of the DLR that are not on property you're probably better off going to them instead. They are less expensive or just as expensive, and the food is better...