Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Digging to Earth's center

Is Backstage Bad Show?

Two days ago I went to DL (first trip report when I find out how to do them)... and I went with my cousin. Several times, I saw backstage things on almost every ride! I thought it was cool because I'm a repeat visitor, but what if it was my first time, and I'm like "oh, magic spoiled"...

Examples:

Splash Mountain: The scene with Br'er Bear with a beehive on his nose... both animatronics of Br'er Bear and Br'er Rabbit were not moving, but the audio was still going. And the wall behind them were ghetto-looking yellow walls and freaky lamps, I guess it's backstage??? I've never seen that wall open before.

Indiana Jones: In the bug room, my sis said she looked to her right, away from the bugs, and saw a huge projection room with all these computers and chairs... whaaat?

Big Thunder Mountain: Coming out of the cave, I saw those wooden western-style doors with that effect that doesn't work anymore.

Soarin': I've known this for a long time, but in the third row... you can see where the imax ends, and where the CM is, annnnd that you're not actually moving.

Space Mountain: I've also seen this multiple times, because my eyes easily adjust to darkness... but I can see the support structures, and the star projectors.

That's all I can remember. If you were a repeat visitor, would you find it cool? Or would you find it a bad show? Or even if you were a first time visiter. What do you think?
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

# of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

# of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Re: Is Backstage Bad Show?

Seeing backstage is bad!! It ruins the magic and the your perception of illusion.

• Minion

it's not exactly a big secret where the Tower position is in Soarin' and the Cm needs to be able to see the Carriages from there.

• "I Break Things"

While some of this sounds legit, some of it sounds like the techs left a few doors open. Oh FYI the Thunder Doors were turned off a LONG time ago,
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• A Pirate's life for me!

Sure, pretty much any ride can be "ruined" (if you let it) by looking in another direction from where it is designed for you to be looking.

Kind of what makes a magician successful. He has you look one direction, while the gag takes place in another. You see the end result, and are amazed.

You are at a theme park. It's not reality. (OMG, did I say that???)

Don't let seeing the inner-workings of a show ruin your experience. Even if it was accidental.

Some claim that going to DL too often lessens the "experience". Seeing the "backstage" when you should be looking at the show as it is intended, is one of the results of that.

First time riders aren't concerned with looking to the left, when the "show" is to the right, so they experience it as it is meant to be.

As often as we go, we are there to just enjoy the "show". How the show is put on, isn't much of a concern to us.

And neither are burnt out lightbulbs... Or CM's wearing sunglasses.

Enjoy!

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

You looked to the right, when the bug illusion is to the left. Why exactly would you do that? I mean, if the bugs are on the left, you are meant to look at the bugs. Not the opposite direction. If you do stuff like that, why yes. Yes it's going to ruin the magic, and I agree with PirateMickey (on everything).

Also, I think it'd be cool because of how often I go. I was emergency evacuated (is that the right term?) from Splash Mountain, and thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then again, so did all the other riders.

But if they leave a wall open on Splash like that, it's probably just because a cast member accidentally forgot. Yes, it's bad show, and I hope it doesn't happen again. But I've never had a problem with anything your saying, and so it was probably an accident on the Cast Members part. They aren't perfect and mess up sometimes.

And on space... yeah well. I can see the support structures. Adds excitement I think. It's like, "Oh no am I gonna hit that beam?! AHHH!" And much more exciting.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    Sure, pretty much any ride can be "ruined" (if you let it) by looking in another direction from where it is designed for you to be looking.

Kind of what makes a magician successful. He has you look one direction, while the gag takes place in another. You see the end result, and are amazed.

Don't let seeing the inner-workings of a show ruin your experience. Even if it was accidental.

Some claim that going to DL too often lessens the "experience". Seeing the "backstage" when you should be looking at the show as it is intended, is one of the results of that.

First time riders aren't concerned with looking to the left, when the "show" is to the right, so they experience it as it is meant to be.

As often as we go, we are there to just enjoy the "show". How the show is put on, isn't much of a concern to us.

Enjoy!

this has been brought up before but it needs to be repeated:

re: cm's wearing sunglasses.
    my grandpa lost his vision in his right eye(lost his vision in his left eye due to an accident while in the service) because he did not wear sunglasses. cataracts which went unnoticed and uncorrected. long story short: lost his sight.

so ergo, would you rather have: a) a cast member with out sunglasses and have him/her run the risk of losing(or impairing) his/her sight, or b) a cast member with sunglasses and the security of knowing that his/her eyesight will be protected?

a here's your sign if you choose a.

anyhow, a temporary derailment(I apologize) to point out a very important item.

and now, back to the thread currently in progress..................

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    this has been brought up before but it needs to be repeated:

re: cm's wearing sunglasses.
    my grandpa lost his vision in his right eye(lost his vision in his left eye due to an accident while in the service) because he did not wear sunglasses. cataracts which went unnoticed and uncorrected. long story short: lost his sight.

so ergo, would you rather have: a) a cast member with out sunglasses and have him/her run the risk of losing(or impairing) his/her sight, or b) a cast member with sunglasses and the security of knowing that his/her eyesight will be protected?

a here's your sign if you choose a.

anyhow, a temporary derailment(I apologize) to point out a very important item.

and now, back to the thread currently in progress..................
    I wear glasses, and they suck. So impairing your sight in anyway must suck. Also, blindness would be even worse. So I agree with you. We should let them wear sunglasses, they are only human.

Only bad show I can imagine is if a Cast Member talked to you about backstage and such, if you don't ask. That would annoy some people. (not me, though.)

• Old Timer

Well, I've had CMs talk to me about backstage. But then, I've been a performer since before many of you were born. The often touted 'Pepper's Ghost' affect dates back to the 19th century, for example. My illusionist friend often uses me to preview his perfomances. I know how it is done. None of this has ever lessened the 'magic' for me. I marvel at how well it is done rather than how it is done.
    I am however, a great practicioner of the willing suspension of disbelief. So there.

• Banned User

I never knew this until my most recent trip to DL, but, there is a person sitting on a chair at the top of the hill, as you are ready to drop in Splash Mtn. It's on the right, in a little alcove. Must be the best job ever...sitting in the dark, watching all the cars go by! ha! I'd fall asleep for sure. Not sure why they are there, unless it's to rescue a person who flips out not wanting to drop??? No clue, but, we all waved at him. ha!

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    I never knew this until my most recent trip to DL, but, there is a person sitting on a chair at the top of the hill, as you are ready to drop in Splash Mtn. It's on the right, in a little alcove. Must be the best job ever...sitting in the dark, watching all the cars go by! ha! I'd fall asleep for sure. Not sure why they are there, unless it's to rescue a person who flips out not wanting to drop??? No clue, but, we all waved at him. ha!
    you mean at the bottom of the hill?? They are there just in case someone stans up, they can push the Emergency Stop.

Enjoy!

??!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!!?!?!??!?!??!?!??!

Um, what?

The point of this thread was... I'll quote myself... "I found backstage to be pretty cool! But do YOU think it ruins the magic?" Um, no I don't find backstage ruining the "magic". I was just like "wow, cool! That's how it works!" sorta thing lol.

By the way, the thing with the bugs, my SISTER looked to the side, not me. I didn't even notice that haha, I wouldn't be curious to see anything except the bugs. But I have seen spotlights all over Indy... does that count?

I'm very aware that theme parks are not reality, I just wish they were ^_^

I'm a repeat visitor (sp?) so I find backstage stuff fascinating. I guess lots of MCs do
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

• Cherry Tart

Agreed.

Now if you see Snow White backstage smoking a cigarette and talking on her cell phone, THAT would be considered bad show. For the other little things like inner workings of rides, it's easy to just look away and suspend disbelief.

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    you mean at the bottom of the hill?? They are there just in case someone stans up, they can push the Emergency Stop.
    Aww man, I missed it! Two days ago, I looked for that CM, because people say they saw one. I didn't see one... but then again, I thought they meant on the lift hill for the humongo drop. If it's at the bottom of the hill, I'll look really hard. I'm confused lol.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    Agreed.

Now if you see Snow White backstage smoking a cigarette and talking on her cell phone, THAT would be considered bad show. For the other little things like inner workings of rides, it's easy to just look away and suspend disbelief.
    Or a character with his/ her head off. Once I saw Minnie with her head off and I was SHOCKED!!! My Disney magic has been ruined forever!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast