Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38
  1. #16

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    19

    Re: HISTA To Be Replaced By Attraction Based On Kurt Russell's Sky High Film?

    The best Kurt Russell Disney movie.....of course I'm drawing a complete blank on the exact title.....was "The Strongest Man in the World" or "The World's Strongest Man", or something to that effect. Always was a favorite.

    Looking forward to this one, though.

  2. #17

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Within 78 miles of WDW...
    Posts
    8,864

    Re: HISTA To Be Replaced By Attraction Based On Kurt Russell's Sky High Film?

    good movie.. but why that in Tomorrowland.. I would figure an original or based off of great Sci-fi movie..

  3. #18

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: HISTA To Be Replaced By Attraction Based On Kurt Russell's Sky High Film?

    Quote Originally Posted by WRDest79
    I say no Spy Kids, no Kim Possible and no Sky High. What we need is an original idea not an knock-off of some (more often than not) lame movie. While Spy Kids, Kim P. & Sky High might be amussing movies that entertain I doubt any of them will be able to endur as classics, therefore deeming any attraction based on their ideas doomed to failure. once the "get rich quick" scheme of these movies is over and the novelty wears off people are gonna be over it and the attraction would die a horrible death. In my opinion they lack what it takes to stand the test of time either as a HISTA replacement or as a new occupant to Innoventions. Employing any of the mentioned movies and/or shows with a multi-year multi-million dollar disney contract would be a mistake.

    My plan involves the destruction of Innoventions for a more Innovating attraction and demolition of the Magic Eye for the throwback outdoor amphitheater.
    there that settles it.

    When Disney opened Captain EO at WDW in 1986, they likely figured that Michael Jackson's career longevity and phenominal popularity minimized the risk involved with building a multi media 3-D movie attraction. As you know, it became a monster hit and lasting for years. The show was so popular that they reporoduced it at Disneyland in 1986, and audiences didn't tire of it until over 10 years later.

    When Disney replaced the attraction at both parks, it took more of a risk on Honey, I Shrunk The Kids than was taken on the Captain. Although the film was a mega-hit, who could say that audiences wouldn't soon tire of it. Well, fortunately a slapstick change of pace is what the audience wanted, and the rest is "HISTA-ry". At Disneyland, it has ran from 1998 to present (appr. 7 1/2 years).

    Sky High represents yet another change of pace. Like Captain EO, the movie has a super hero theme, along with a serious good vs. evil plot. Yet from what I can see, it shares with HISTA a whimsical sense of humor - not to mention that Kurt Russell is humongous celebrity with wih longevity that surpasses MJ's. Should the film turn out to be a big hit, there is every reason in the world for Disney to take the risk. In addition, Russell is one of the few currently popular stars left that is squarely rooted in Disney, and who new Walt.

    Once again, HISTA's time has come, and the Russell film may be a near perfect vehicle to base a new 3-D attraction on. These types of attractions are also important because they are high capacity crowd eaters, and a place to escape any harsh weather conditions for a while. We shall see of the flick receives "Sky High" attendance at the box office beginning at the end of this month.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-07-2005 at 09:42 AM.

  4. #19

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: HISTA To Be Replaced By Attraction Based On Kurt Russell's Sky High Film?

    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    For the love of pete-------------superheros and spies are not fantasy! Superheros are born out of acts of science fiction, Peter Parker is bit by a radioactive spider- bum bum he becomes Spiderman, X-men have genetics mutant gifts- also sci-fi.

    Spies stopped being spies on the big screen ever since Q arrived. These guys are Batman without the mask. The kids in Spy Kids had amazing inventions that are years away---inventions that are years away, hmmm sounds like science and it sounds like fiction, put em together.

    My thought: Would rather see Spy Kids and Sky High then another Pixar based animation ride.
    Great pomt, ah shucks.. Morphing is a traditional sci-fi element. Therefore, superheroes belong in Tomorrowland - and much more than some of the attractions. Besides, what are Flash Gordan. Sky Captain, Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Worf, Deanna Troi, Seven of Nine, Princess Leia, Yoda, and Frodo if not superheroes.

    Quote Originally Posted by scaeagles
    The best Kurt Russell Disney movie.....of course I'm drawing a complete blank on the exact title.....was "The Strongest Man in the World" or "The World's Strongest Man", or something to that effect. Always was a favorite.

    Looking forward to this one, though.
    scaegles -

    The Strongest Man in the World, 1975, was the second of two sequels to The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. The first sequel was Now You See Him, Now You Don't. Kurt played Dexter Riley in each of the films. Veteran actors Joe Flynn and Jim Backus were in each of them as well. I'm just guessing hear, but, not counting short serials, this double sequel movie series may have been the first of its kind - a trilogy of sorts.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-07-2005 at 09:45 AM.

  5. #20

    • șoș Tom șoș
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carlsbad
    Posts
    3,600

    Re: HISTA To Be Replaced By Attraction Based On Kurt Russell's Sky High Film?

    Quote Originally Posted by WRDest79
    I say no Spy Kids, no Kim Possible and no Sky High. What we need is an original idea not an knock-off of some (more often than not) lame movie. While Spy Kids, Kim P. & Sky High might be amussing movies that entertain I doubt any of them will be able to endur as classics, therefore deeming any attraction based on their ideas doomed to failure. once the "get rich quick" scheme of these movies is over and the novelty wears off people are gonna be over it and the attraction would die a horrible death. In my opinion they lack what it takes to stand the test of time either as a HISTA replacement or as a new occupant to Innoventions. Employing any of the mentioned movies and/or shows with a multi-year multi-million dollar disney contract would be a mistake.
    I share your hunger for originality but my stomach isn't in touch with my brain. Its all about dollars and sense- SYNERGY is the word of the day for Disney.
    *How can our rides cross promote our products?
    *Is Sky High- franchise material?
    *Is Spy Kids- a high grossing franchise?

    I honestly don't know, but I do know that the ride growth we are seeing is all Pixar based, Bleh. Enuff of that already. So they want synergy? Fine let utilize more of mature material- Hitchhiker's Guide the Galaxy, Narnia, Sky High. These properties lend them smart, non-animated synergistic ideas for rides that cross promote products.

    Do not expect any original rides anytime soon- look at the history since the mid to late 80's: Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones, Armageddon, Reign of Fire, Buzz Lightyear, Winnie the Pooh, Stitch Escape

    Then list original type rides- Storm Chasers, Rocking Roller Coaster, Mission Space, Space Mtn V2.0---and we at DL have none of these.







  6. #21

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    33

    Re: HISTA To Be Replaced By Attraction Based On Kurt Russell's Sky High Film?

    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    For the love of pete-------------superheros and spies are not fantasy! Superheros are born out of acts of science fiction, Peter Parker is bit by a radioactive spider- bum bum he becomes Spiderman, X-men have genetics mutant gifts- also sci-fi.

    Spies stopped being spies on the big screen ever since Q arrived. These guys are Batman without the mask. The kids in Spy Kids had amazing inventions that are years away---inventions that are years away, hmmm sounds like science and it sounds like fiction, put em together.

    My thought: Would rather see Spy Kids and Sky High then another Pixar based animation ride.
    Okay, okay, you got me there. You have exellent points. But still, I don't see any of these franchises working in Tomorrowland.

  7. #22

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: HISTA To Be Replaced By Attraction Based On Kurt Russell's Sky High Film?

    Anything would be better than the lame HISTA. It's run it's course.

    HISTA La Vista, Baby!!!

  8. #23

    • In a Rocket Rods daze @_@
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    122

    Re: HISTA To Be Replaced By Attraction Based On Kurt Russell's Sky High Film?

    I know what, why doesn't Disney just destroy EVERYTHING inside Tomorrowland and re-name it Pixar World??? Gosh, either Disney is coming up with new Pixar attractions that don't even relate to Tomorrowland or they come up with lame excuses to bring another "cheap" attraction. Sorry guys, but I want to see something original now, not made based from a movie. Besides, "Sky High" isn't even released yet! What if the movie isn't even good??!?! All I am trying to say is that Disney really needs to start considering what their FANS want from the parks!
    Rocket Rods--Ride The Road To Tomorrow


  9. #24

    • That's Hawt
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    6,989

    Re: HISTA To Be Replaced By Attraction Based On Kurt Russell's Sky High Film?

    Well, from what i've seen, that movie looks great! I can't wait to see it, but I can't really judge the possibility of it as a 3D movie until I actually see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s



  10. #25

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: HISTA To Be Replaced By Attraction Based On Kurt Russell's Sky High Film?

    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    I share your hunger for originality but my stomach isn't in touch with my brain. Its all about dollars and sense- SYNERGY is the word of the day for Disney.
    *How can our rides cross promote our products?
    *Is Sky High- franchise material?
    *Is Spy Kids- a high grossing franchise?

    I honestly don't know, but I do know that the ride growth we are seeing is all Pixar based, Bleh. Enuff of that already. So they want synergy? Fine let utilize more of mature material- Hitchhiker's Guide the Galaxy, Narnia, Sky High. These properties lend them smart, non-animated synergistic ideas for rides that cross promote products.

    Do not expect any original rides anytime soon- look at the history since the mid to late 80's: Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones, Armageddon, Reign of Fire, Buzz Lightyear, Winnie the Pooh, Stitch Escape

    Then list original type rides- Storm Chasers, Rocking Roller Coaster, Mission Space, Space Mtn V2.0---and we at DL have none of these.

    Exactly, awe shucks. This is why I am excited about Disney making some decent new live action films. It affords us the chance to break away from the cartoon world, where Tomorrowland attractions are concerned. Nemo Subs and the misthemed "Cars" autopia are enough!

    A live action-based sci-fi attraction will be a VERY welcome break away from Pixar. I realize many prefer serious (The Matrix) or sardonic (Hitchhiker's Guide) sci-fi, but something along the lines of Sky High or Spy Kids would be a healthy compromise.

    DCA is where most of the Pixar attractions should be located.

    Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    Well, from what i've seen, that movie looks great! I can't wait to see it, but I can't really judge the possibility of it as a 3D movie until I actually see it.
    MiceMan, this is why I am going to pose the question again, either during the movie is at the cinema or after it has ran it's course. It does look to be pretty cool, though.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-07-2005 at 07:54 PM.

  11. #26

    • Leave 'em wanting more!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    442

    Re: HISTA To Be Replaced By Attraction Based On Kurt Russell's Sky High Film?

    I know this is unpopular, but I like HISTA. What is wrong with leaving it alone for now? Tommorowland has so many other issues that need to be dealt with. The PeopleMover, The Subs, Crapoventions and Star Tours are all in need of help (or currently in the process of getting help).
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

  12. #27

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    All smiles at the DL!
    Posts
    20,517
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: HISTA To Be Replaced By Attraction Based On Kurt Russell's Sky High Film?

    I saw a commercial for that movie tonight and it looks like a really stupid movie, so I say no, keep HISTA.

    Oh, and as for b, well, I haven't seen too many Kurt Russell films, I don't think. I do like Overboard, though.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...





  13. #28

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: HISTA To Be Replaced By Attraction Based On Kurt Russell's Sky High Film?

    Guys and gals, three words: Box Office Statistics

    Remember a few months back when "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" was slated to be made as HISTA's replacement? Then it barely made its money back in the box office (50 mil domestic, 86 mil worldwide, really nothing)...no mention of this proposed attraction was ever heard again.

    If Sky High makes over 100 mil, then its possible, but we have to look at the competition...oh, wow...a lot of it. "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"..."War of the Worlds"..."Dukes of Hazzard"..."Bad News Bears"..."Stealth"..."Fantastic Four". A pool of box office competition makes it seem unlikely that an odd Disney flick is gonna make some noise. Remember that "Hitchhikers" was released right at the start of the summer season, being the only big movie out, yet still didn't make that much.

    Disney is going to have to wait for their next big movie, seeing as we're in a sad, sad world when Imagineers can only make attraction based on successful, pre-existing characters only for marketing reasons, in other words, the gift shop. Really, its not a question on whether we should destroy the Magic Eye Theater, its whether or not this new attraction will be original or not, something I would like to see again...

  14. #29

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,138

    Re: HISTA To Be Replaced By Attraction Based On Kurt Russell's Sky High Film?

    I'm all for an original non-movie attraction like a lot of you are mentioning we should be getting... Heck, in the past I've posted here that I don't want to see anymore movie-based attractions. Yet, that in the midst of an onslaught of Pixar-based attractions.

    Now, if we can ger a quality attraction that has high repeatability factor, then I'm all for it. Synergy with the movie studio and the themeparks is not a bad idea and Walt often did it. The park opened with Davy Crockett in Frontierland, all of Fantasyland were film tie-ins. And don't forget the Swiss Family Treehouse and even Tom Sayer Island.
    So I think that if we get great attractions that are repeatable, fun, and have high capacity then go for it. Synergy is good if its well thought out.

  15. #30

    • Behind the refurb walls..
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,943
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: HISTA To Be Replaced By Attraction Based On Kurt Russell's Sky High Film?

    I auditioned for Sky High, they let us read part of the script, the problem is they got us to read the ending area, so I know what happens, ruins the movie for me :l






    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] "Race To Save Planet X" ..A Witch Mountain Based Replacement For HISTA?
    By Ride Warrior in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
  2. Wishful thinking: An E-Ticket based on a Studio Ghibli film
    By openattheseams in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-21-2006, 04:05 PM
  3. Which Tomorrowland attraction would you want to see replaced?
    By sir clinksalot in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-11-2005, 06:44 PM
  4. Which attraction should be scrapped and replaced?
    By JoeCool in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 10:05 AM
  5. The death of the AA-based attraction....
    By dshimel in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 09:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •