Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Disneyland is amazing, and I am grateful.

I just wanted to say something.

Today I had the misfortune of being dragged to one of my local theme parks, Great America in Santa Clara. Great America, which was recently taken over by Cedar Fair, is a complete theme park disaster.

Everywhere you went, you could see into backstage, and I mean EVERYWHERE. Paint was chipping, peeling, and nonexistant in places, the handrails and sidewalks were COVERED with dried decade old gum, and the park was filthy. Even worse, the rides were all in disrepair. All of the rides are rickety messes that aren't maintaned properly, and the brakes screech and squeel like they could go out at any moment. The staff there are rude, slow, and completely inept. They yell, push, demand, and drag their feet throughout their workday, and made my stay completely unsatisfactory.

I am bringing this up, because all of these things made me feel so grateful that there is a place like The Disneyland Resort that makes it their mission to bring a quality experience to their guests. The difference in experience between Disneyland and other parks extends far beyond the lineup of attractions, and extends to the very core of what Disneyland was created to stand for.

I would like to take this opportunity to share my thanks for Disney, and to caution others not to let themselves get too carried away with the minute details and transient flaws that they may experience at DLR. The relatively small issues with DCA, and the isolated cobweb or streak of dirt you may pass on your way to Space Mountain are only noticeable because the park is usually beyond reproach, and in no way can in compare with the complete disaster that Great America, Six Flags, and the hundreds of other "family theme parks" have become.

So please, appreciate Disneyland for what it has brought us, and remember that the alternative is something far more evil, disgusting, and reprehensible than you will ever find associated with the mouse.

That is all....thank you.

• Disney for life!~

Re: Disneyland is amazing, and I am grateful.

Amen to that!

I <3 SPACEMOUNTAIN!!!!!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/CayaHutch

• Digging to Earth's center

I felt this way after going to Knott's for my second time lol, after Cedar Fair (I think?) took over, and I was like "what happened to this place?"

I, too, LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Disneyland. So when I see an animatronic not working, some backstage revealing, a smoker in a non-smoking area, or maybe even burnt-out neon in Tomorrowland, I don't really complain. Backstage, I find fascinating in Disney. Other places, especially Knotts, I'm like "argh, like I wanted to know". I guess because their effects look so fake haha.
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

# of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

# of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

• =)

Amen! I know what you mean about Great America, since I live rather nearby. I haven't been since the management switch, but I always feel cheapened by the experience of going there, whereas Disneyland almost seems to make my life richer. (Unless you count Tomorrowland and Toontown...but the fantastic rides located in the former are great enough for me to somewhat forgive that area.)

Disneyland is a quality product. We complain about a few dead light bulbs or a dirty window or a bit of chipping paint, but all in all...Disneyland is really a work of art, and it's kept remarkably clean. I feel like we're all really lucky to have such a place to enjoy.

EDIT:

Backstage, I find fascinating in Disney. Other places, especially Knotts, I'm like "argh, like I wanted to know". I guess because their effects look so fake haha.
    Exactly! The level of convincingness onstage at Disneyland makes me all the more curious about the industrial realities behind the fantasy, whereas most other so-called theme parks just leave me feeling like the whole thing has been one big industrial reality. Where's the magic?

• Circle of Ancients

Although Great America has the self proclaimed title of "themed amusement park" and sometimes just "theme park" (specifically in Santa Clara), it is hardly that. It is an amusement park. There is no theme. That was one thing that Walt truly disliked... amusement parks. We must always remember that there is a difference, although the corporates try to sugarcoat the fact. Knotts Berry Park was the first "theme park". Disneyland was really the first to use the title to its advantage. Universal soon followed. All can be considered theme parks. Great America... not so much.

• addict.

i 100% agree with you. I've never been to a theme park that even compares to the DLR. DL offers an escape. and i do greatly appreciate DL for everything that it is, and will be in the future.
    "To all who come to this happy place... welcome."

"Aye... That be true."

It's a shame to hear that. I know it from way back when it was Marriot's Great America. It was always well kept up back then. It had some nice interesting things back then and it was always a nice place to go.

• Koubu Pilot

I love Disneyland. I've been to Knott's and a couple other places and they don't compare.

How does the way that Cedar Fair operates Great America pertain to the way that The Walt Disney Company operates Disneyland?

I don't visit regional amusement parks like Great America for a reason. I used to visit Disneyland, though. Unfortunately, I don't see much of a reason to return there anytime soon if Disney is never going to add anything creative, interesting, and worthwhile to persuade me to do so.

There are plenty of varied and well-run alternative establishments to Disneyland, especially in southern California. For example, I visited the Los Angeles Zoo a couple of days ago, and I found it to be clean, friendly, and well-maintained. The admission fee I paid was $8. The parking was free. And, the zoo is in the process of renovating and adding all sorts of exhibits, including new gorilla and elephant habitats. So, what is Disneyland's excuse for continuing to serve table scraps, which do just enough to persuade an annual-passport holder to renew but which usually disappoint when they eventually do open?

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Quote Originally Posted by DCAFTW View Post
    I just wanted to say something.

Today I had the misfortune of being dragged to one of my local theme parks, Great America in Santa Clara. Great America, which was recently taken over by Cedar Fair, is a complete theme park disaster.

Everywhere you went, you could see into backstage, and I mean EVERYWHERE. Paint was chipping, peeling, and nonexistant in places, the handrails and sidewalks were COVERED with dried decade old gum, and the park was filthy. Even worse, the rides were all in disrepair. All of the rides are rickety messes that aren't maintaned properly, and the brakes screech and squeel like they could go out at any moment.That is all....thank you.
    Sounds like Paul Pressler got a job with Cedar Fair after that whole Gap thing didn't work out.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Cedar Fair ruins good parks. Heck, they ruined Six Flags Worlds of Adventure when they bought that. Even their flagship park, Cedar Point, is suffering a bit.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    How does the way that Cedar Fair operates Great America pertain to the way that The Walt Disney Company operates Disneyland?

I don't visit regional amusement parks like Great America for a reason. I used to visit Disneyland, though. Unfortunately, I don't see much of a reason to return there anytime soon if Disney is never going to add anything creative, interesting, and worthwhile to persuade me to do so.

There are plenty of varied and well-run alternative establishments to Disneyland, especially in southern California. For example, I visited the Los Angeles Zoo a couple of days ago, and I found it to be clean, friendly, and well-maintained. The admission fee I paid was $8. The parking was free. And, the zoo is in the process of renovating and adding all sorts of exhibits, including new gorilla and elephant habitats. So, what is Disneyland's excuse for continuing to serve table scraps, which do just enough to persuade an annual-passport holder to renew but which usually disappoint when they eventually do open?
    This is the exact attitude I was talking about.

Disney offers amazing attractions, that bring joy to thousands (if not millions) of people every year, and keep them coming back again and again. I am completely in awe at nearly every single attraction they open, and I can't believe the attitude that some people can have regarding the resort.

For example, DCA, while it does have some problems, still succeeds at providing a fantastic environment for people to immerse themselves in, and have a wonderful day. It in NO way is worthy of the "six flags/knott's/cedar fair" comparissons that some people who don't agree with the theme choices have made lately. It is still miles above any other park in the area, and acheives a standard that only Disney has been able to match.

Perspective, that's what I gained from my trip this weekend, and that's what I hope people remember when they criticize the minute issues within the resort.

• =)

It is still miles above any other park in the area, and acheives a standard that only Disney has been able to match.
    I dunno about this statement. Yes, DCA is not as bad as we like to think it is, but its ride value really is extremely weak. The other parks you're talking about may be dirty, run-down, not family-friendly, and dangerous...but at least they've got ride value. DCA has three great rides, IMO--Soarin', Screamin', and Tower of Terror. Beyond that, it really does disappoint me, in part because Disney's high standards make its seem like so much more should be possible.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

Besides the attractions you mentioned, there is GRR, the Maliboomer, the Stinger, all attractions that are at least on par with the other parks in question. Not to mention the other attractions including It's Tough to Be a Bug, The Aladding show, and the Animation building.

The most important part, is that every attraction is well taken care of, and maintained beautifully. There may be more large attractions at places like Six Flags and Great America, however they are so poorly maintained that they are uncomfortable, if not painful to ride at times.

• Animator in Training!

Great American is a (sorry for the language) P.O.S. I went there last year and it was a complete was of money....I should have taken the money I spent there and used it for gas money to drive to Disneyland LOL!!!!!!!!! I love Disneyland!!!!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."-Walt Disney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast