• Banned User

Character improvement program

I saw in a YouTube description of WDW's Alice and Mad Hatter that one person thought that they didn't anything funnier than the DL versions.

Well, racking my brains, I came up with an idea. Disney Theme Parks and Crusies should have a Character Improvement Program (CHIP for short). Have veterans of the face character casts in different Disney parks work and travel to DL, WDW, TDL, DLP and HKDL to show fellow face character cast members how to improve their charcater. For example, have say (using littlecricket's code names) Care Bear Alice and Storyteller Hatter travel from DL to WDW and help the Hatter and Alice character portrayers how they handle interactivity with guests.

Good idea or bad idea?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Character improvement program

I see where that would improve the face characters, but looking from the company's side that's a big expense. Quite a bit on travel and training and for what? How long will that childish look stay fresh? I'd be surpirsed if a face character's shelf life was more than 6 years.

This was not in any way slighting the face characters. All of them have great attitudes and look remarkably like them. It just seems like an exorbitant expense for just a short term investment. Now if they need a Captain Hook Character....hmmm.

Chad

• Banned User

You know, make it an annual "how to improve" the character thing. Wouldn't take much.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    You know, make it an annual "how to improve" the character thing. Wouldn't take much.

That's fine. Keep it local and save the expense.

Chad

• "I Break Things"

HAHAHAHA.... We had a "Skipper relocation program" for many years! If a Skip from WDW was here on vacation he and his party got a private boat (usually at night if the day was busy) and the mic. Likewise if a group of us went to WDW they used to do the same. Evidently we got away with a lot more here then they did at WDW, and the managers there didn't like the communication of a few jokes.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Lightbulb Re: Character improvement program

I think the characters at DL do a great job now anyways...

No need to spend so much money sending CM's around the world, how about raising pay for lower-level CM's (such as Attractions; being one of the lowest paid in the park, yet your life's safety is in their hands). Face Characters already make enough for what they do, more than atmosphere characters and most any entry level position at Disney.

JMO.
    -Wes

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

That should be taught in training. That's why they have specific training for each individual character. If you can't learn it during your training days then you shouldn't be portraying the character.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by SorcererMickey View Post
    That should be taught in training. That's why they have specific training for each individual character. If you can't learn it during your training days then you shouldn't be portraying the character.
    OJT, speaking from experience, training will only teach you the basics, you rely on common sense, good judgment, and the advice of those who have gone before you and been there longer.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

Heck, allow DL to have littlecricket film their acts while they are working and make copies to give to those at WDW would be ideal as well.

I'm not sure littlecricket would wish to be responsible for filming Alice and Hatter for Disney staff training ... I'm sure that if they wanted to do that, they would have somebody take care of it besides people who film for personal enjoyment.

I think this is a dangerous idea because of the bad feeling it could cause to say that this person plays X character better than that person. There will always be someone who improvs better or looks more like the character or who has cuter mannerisms. If people can't handle their jobs, they shouldn't be hired, but I don't think it's helpful to tell people they're playing a character 'wrong' based on nothing more than personal preference.

Now, if it were to become obvious that DLR or any of the parks was insufficiently training their character CMs, that would be a separate matter.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.