Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Re: Your first time in DCA

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelindude View Post
    i went the first year DCA opened (before bugs land) i was a total sissy for anything that went remotly fast, but i was into all the colorful pictures at the top of the fastpasses. so i went to CA screamin and tried to get an expired fastpass becasue i thought we had GRR fps. well our rollover had just begun and out popped a real fastpass. my mother made me get two more and i loved it! after that i have gone on everything at Magic mountian and Knott's (not including X, or Deja Vu). that marked a big day in my life
    X is awesome just don't go while you need to use the restroom, talk about a close call.

• Senior Minion

Tower of Terror wasn't open and was still under construction when we first visited there. By the time we hit Paradise Pier, we both thought we could see this in Santa Cruz.
    It has it's fun parts, but it just isn't a park that dazzles us. We enjoy Soarin' Screamin' and Tower. DCA just a tangled mess.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• =)

I like DCA better now than I did at first. My first trip into the new park happened about three or four years ago. We happened to have park hopper tickets--I don't remember the circumstances, but we somehow ended up with them instead of tickets for just Disneyland. Considering how infrequently I got to visit Disneyland, I didn't want to leave the Happiest Place on Earth just to experiment with some new park that was themed to the state I'd already spent my whole life living in. Unfortunately, my family felt differently, so I was dragged across the esplanade into what felt to me like a cheap, visually bizarre distant cousin of Disneyland. I was completely depressed and unimpressed throughout our initial walk through the park, but our first ride--Soarin'--made me feel a little better. I enjoyed that ride. I believe the only other ride we did before going back to Disneyland was Grizzly River Rapids, which was fun, but it didn't feel like a Disney ride to me. That was the thing...I didn't get the same sense of mingled nostalgia, hope, charm, thrill-ride-induced adrenaline, and family-friendliness that Disneyland always exuded so strongly. DCA wasn't bad...but it felt like a preposterous way to spend time when Disneyland was right next door. (Keep in mind I was a NorCal guy who only got to visit once every few years.)

Over the next few years, I rode Screamin', It's Tough to Be a Bug, and Tower of Terror, all of which improved my general opinion of the park. Screamin' remains in my list of favorite roller coasters (which also contains all of Disneyland's coasters, albeit for different and more intellectual reasons). Anyway, my current opinion of DCA is that it isn't terrible, but it just feels so insignificant and uninteresting next to Disneyland. I only visit it so I can ride a couple of the attractions while spending as little time between them as possible. In sharp contrast, I visit Disneyland so I can enjoy as many rides as I can while still stopping to sniff the proverbial roses, admiring all the beauty between the masterful rides.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

My first time at DCA was during AP previews. The place was packed and we got on very few things. We waited 45 minutes just for really bad wraps at one of the bountiful valley food stands to find out that our food was sitting in front of us but the dumb *** CM never gave it to us. They totally would fill orders out of order.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• Eeyore Jr.

We went in 2004 right after TOT opened (didn't even know that was going on either, hadn't discovered all the great websites and such that I visit nowadays). Waited about an hour for TOT, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of the other high (or low) lights include: Playhouse Disney catching on fire, so we didn't get to see it that year, Not realizing how cool Soarin' was, so we didn't even ride it until our last day in the park (and my wife missed it, and had to wait until '06 to ride it), LOVING California Screamin', missing out on the blunder that was Superstar Limo, getting soaked on Grizzly multiple times, and losing my son's stuffed Baloo while we were meeting Sulley.
    All in all, we thoroughly enjoy DCA, even with all of the dead space. I am another one who didn't realize how much dislike there is for the park until I discovered some of these Disney based websites. That's ok though, because all the criticism is because we want to see improvements, and an improved overall experience.

First of all let me say, I love how someone mentioned the defunct MGM Grand Adventures Park in Las Vegas. I remember being in high school and going there...it was fun in a quirky sort of way. However, I would never compare it to DCA.

I went to DCA in January 2003 for the first time. To be honest it has a more relaxed feel to it then DL. I like the food better over there, the Vineyard Room is quite good. Even though it needs more rides and some changes, it wouldn't feel right if I didn't at least go there once.

• Senior Minion

My first time in DCA was last year for Mickey's Halloween Treat. I had refused to go previously since I am such a Disneyland fanatic, but figured at the price ... with parking included I wouldn't be too dissapointed.

I actually enjoyed myself quite a bit, the only problem I have is with the way it is laid out. Other then that I do enjoy going over there for at least a ToT ride. Two days after this trip I ended up buying my first AP.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMike View Post
    We went in 2004 right after TOT opened (didn't even know that was going on either, hadn't discovered all the great websites and such that I visit nowadays). Waited about an hour for TOT, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of the other high (or low) lights include: Playhouse Disney catching on fire, so we didn't get to see it that year, improved overall experience.

I thought the Playhouse Disney building caught on fire when it was the ABC Soap Opera Bistro. Anyone have more details on this fire?

Anyway, the first time I visited DCA was in 2005 and I didn't mind it that bad back then. I now consider it a very bad park for Disney, but I do love the Tower of Terror. I wish the Tower of Terror, Aladdin show, Soarin', Muppet Vision 3D, the Animation Building, and It's tough to be a bug were in DL so I wouldn't have to bother with crossing the esplanade.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

My first time in DCA was in late March 2001. I went with my buddy James and he and I 'painted it red' - so to speak.

That night we got on Grizzly River Run 4 times - and they didn't make us get off once....if I remember correctly......

• I love my family!

Went to one of the CM previews and had a really good time.

• Frrrrrrunkis~!

My first time in DCA was about a year after it opened. I went on Soarin' and Screamin' and quickly became annoyed with the overuse of puns and apostrophes.

I spent the rest of my vacation in Disneyland.

• Banned User

My 1st trip to califorina adventure lasted 5 minutes. I didn't stop bugging my friends to go into disneyland with me.

• Circle of Ancients

Well probably around 1980 when it was a parking lot.

But when it was a park, early February 2001. A few weeks before the park opened.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon View Post
    Tower of Terror wasn't open and was still under construction when we first visited there. By the time we hit Paradise Pier, we both thought we could see this in Santa Cruz.
    It has it's fun parts, but it just isn't a park that dazzles us. We enjoy Soarin' Screamin' and Tower. DCA just a tangled mess.
    TicTocDragon, does your name have anything to do with Dragon Tears by Dean Koontz?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

The first time I went to DCA I didn't know much about it. I didn't know I was supposed to hate it. So, I don't. Oopsie?

We had corn dogs at the Corn Dog Castle, too. Yum.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast