Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

When will it just LEAVE?

Are they EVER going to pave over or restore Cosmic Waves? I still don't know what the justification they had in putting the ugly potted plans around it. I know why it closed (total public bath), but why isn't it gone from existence? It's essentially useless now...

Can someone tell me without flipping out that I asked a question (ahem, melmel... )?

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

Re: When will it just LEAVE?

What's Cosmic Waves??

~feels bad for not knowing this~

Be glad you don't know.

Cosmic Waves was a fountain that was added during the reimagining of Tomorrowland in 1998. The water feature was designed so that Guests could walk through a labyrinth of water to reach a giant orb of solid marble that was spinning on a cushion of water.

Guests, however, let their children run through the water, itself, and get wet. They also were notorious for removing shoes and shirts, and the bacterial count there was so high that the thing was a health hazard. The jets for the fountains were continually being damaged, and some Guests would sit with wet clothes in "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience", Space Mountain, and Redd Rockett's.

The orb survived being replaced, but Disney did remove the fountain jets.

• Wonderful World

God almighty the new tommorowland 98 was the WORST decision ever made
    I'm back MiceChat

A new fountain is in order, but Disneyland needs to be sure not to make the same mistake twice.

Incidentally, Victoria Gardens in Rancho Cucamonga, California just added a fountain similar to Cosmic Waves and theirs is creating the same problems.

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

OHHHHHH ok I see! Thanks for the explanation! Yeah, that Orb thing is...interesting. I suppose. I know I always see little kids running up to it and marveling that they can move it.

So if they took that out, would it just be open space? Or do you think they'd put something else there?

• No longer on the darkside

Tomorrowland 2008 seems a likely target for the removal of Cosmic Waves

• Space Scout

Cosmic Waves is pretty much the only reason I go to Disneyland. I mean, where else can you go to see a giant ball surrounded by little potted trees! And the ball spins! Awesome!
    Help test MouseMosaic! PM me suggestions.

Much of the reimagining of Tomorrowland in 1998 was an attempt to make the Realm less hot, so W.D.I. removed the white color scheme and added such things as the fountain, as well as the Moonliner that sprayed a cooling exhaust.

The pavers in Tomorrowland are even supposed to make the place feel as much as ten degrees cooler when the weather is hot and ten degrees warmer when the weather is cold.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

I don't mind the orb/ball/boulder/whatever that remains...they have the same thing at WDW's Tomorrowland and no one has ever complained about it...just a little something to pique the kiddies' interest, and it by no means ruins my experience, so keep it. I'd rather have it than an empty walkway or an ODV cart.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

The trees around it are a huge eyesore though. Why not remove them and then just leave it as is?

• insufferable know-it-all

Why not make it MORE parklike with shaded benches that will add to the area aesthetically as well as increase shaded seating.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Just go to Universal City Walk Hollywood on any weekend night when it's crowded, and you can see how lame the whole concept is. Parents let their kids run wild and get completley soaked in their street clothes (even after dark, and in the winter). The fountain is all battered; the surface is supposed to look like a normal, clean, paved walkway but it's all uneven and broken. The fountain itself doesn't even work properly; a lot of the water jets are broken or don't shoot straight up. And most importantly, the water is supposed to drain between the cracks in the ground and it doesn't, it just sits there in a big puddle. It's disgusting and makes the whole area totally ghetto. If Universal were smart they would have ripped it out a long time ago. bleh.

Thank the maker Disney at least had the brains to recognize a bad idea and remove it.
    --Jonathan

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I say they just make it a normal fountain, still having the orb inside...you know, a pool-like area that most guests will know not to climb in (to be safe they should put up a sign, though...in more than one language...). They could have shooting water jets inside the pool around the orb, maybe put in some fun lighting...it would look nice.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Are they EVER going to pave over or restore Cosmic Waves? I still don't know what the justification they had in putting the ugly potted plans around it. I know why it closed (total public bath), but why isn't it gone from existence? It's essentially useless now...

Can someone tell me without flipping out that I asked a question (ahem, melmel... )?
    I think Cosmic Waves is ugly and pointless. But my daughter thinks it's hecka cool.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast