Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MA Reader Since 2003

Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

I wasnt around in the 50's, heck my Mother was born in 54 so the retro feel that Disneyland has, and used to have more of, did not appeal to me because of fond childhood memories. But nonetheless I found the nostalgia and old feel of the park so cool. The retro sound of the announcers voice on rides for one, and many other things that took me to another time period was and is a major reason I love Disneyland. I wonder if this nostalgia is what makes Disneyland such a popular place for all ages?

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• Man O Lantern

Re: Is Nostalgia What Makes Disneyland So Popular?

My mom was also born in 1954.

I definitely feel that for my family, our love of Disneyland is a love for all things retro and mid-century idealism.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Diznyfan View Post
    I wasnt around in the 50's, heck my Mother was born in 54 so the retro feel that Disneyland has, and used to have more of, did not appeal to me because of fond childhood memories. But nonetheless I found the nostalgia and old feel of the park so cool. The retro sound of the announcers voice on rides for one, and many other things that took me to another time period was and is a major reason I love Disneyland. I wonder if this nostalgia is what makes Disneyland such a popular place for all ages?
    For me absolutely. For younger people, not so much. But remember in 30 years, our Adventure thru Inner Space will be their SuperStar Limo.

Chad

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The older you get, the more you understand and have an appreciation of history, and want things to stay the same for those you love as well.

But as a kid, I still loved Disneyland and obsessed about going all the time. So mmm yes and no about your question. Nostalgia isn't the only thing that keeps Disneyland popular, but it plays a big part of what keeps me young at heart... and many others as well.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    For me absolutely. For younger people, not so much. But remember in 30 years, our Adventure thru Inner Space will be their SuperStar Limo.

Chad
    Oh come on, at least give us Pooh.

I never really noticed it until about the beginning of the year. When you open your eyes and see it, it makes Disneyland a whole new experience.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    Oh come on, at least give us Pooh.

I never really noticed it until about the beginning of the year. When you open your eyes and see it, it makes Disneyland a whole new experience.
    Great point Jack. It will click much earlier for my daughter because I innundate her with history and old stories. She get's the same from my dad who tells her about the Flying Saucers and getting kicked out of the park. My Dad, oh he's a handful, was then-still is.

I got that feeling you are talking about close to 10 years ago. I came more from the movies and music of Disneyland. It's hard to explain, but once it clicks you see things completely different almost like a haze of happiness.

For those of you who have not felt that feeling yet, I wish it upon everyone of you. You'll thank me for it at one of the meets down the road.

Chad

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

It was me, not my mother, that was born in the 50's...1956, to be exact. So I have memories going back to the first visit I can remember, circa 1960...cemented, of course, by my nearly eight years of employment there.

So as I've said before, having seen the "great lady" from all sides, inside and out, all the magic and the ever-present iron fist inside Mickey's white glove, it all just makes me love her all the more - a love that continues to stand the test of time and change.

That is my best way to describe it. Hope you understand.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    It was me, not my mother, that was born in the 50's...1956, to be exact. So I have memories going back to the first visit I can remember, circa 1960...cemented, of course, by my nearly eight years of employment there.

So as I've said before, having seen the "great lady" from all sides, inside and out, all the magic and the ever-present iron fist inside Mickey's white glove, it all just makes me love her all the more - a love that continues to stand the test of time and change.

That is my best way to describe it. Hope you understand.

--Barry
    Barry,

Nostalgia is one of those things that is so tough to explain. You did a great job of doing so.

Thank you.

Chad

• Wonderful World

I admire Disneyland because of its history. Sometimes when I see those sixties photo's of Disneyland it makes me wanna go back in time to live that experience.
    I'm back MiceChat

• Minion

I can't remember

• Comin' at ya!

Too bad I don't know what nostalgia means
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• MA Reader Since 2003

Quote Originally Posted by painted windows View Post
    I admire Disneyland because of its history. Sometimes when I see those sixties photo's of Disneyland it makes me wanna go back in time to live that experience.
    I know what you mean. I always wonder what it was like when the mine train ride ran through frontierland and Walt was walking through the park. But when I visit DL I feel like I am stepping back in time, I hope they never lose that mid-century ambiance, nowadays its like having the best of both worlds because you get the modern technology too.

-Albert Einstein

• =)

I didn't have the pleasure of visiting Disneyland in its earlier days--in fact, all my visits have happened in this decade and the last. But just in that relatively short amount of time, visiting once every couple of years, I've developed enough memories to be nostalgic about for a lifetime. If I had been visiting the park for longer, as many of you have, I'm sure that feeling would be intensified.

I think nostalgia plays a huge role in Disneyland's success. But nostalgia for the park can't win over a first-time visitor, since they have no Disneyland memories to feel nostalgic for, and nostalgia for the locales recreated can't account for the huge success of the park either, since Disneyland as a whole has moved away from celebrating 19th- and early-20th-century America a little. A big part of Disneyland's success is simply the fact that it's a quality product that doesn't cut corners, featuring a new variety of slow and fast rides, all with immersive theming that appeals to a wide variety of interests and age groups. It doesn't feel like a cheap kids' park, it doesn't feel like a family-friendly Vegas (), it doesn't feel like a thrill-based amusement park with some kiddy rides thrown in...it feels like a home for the whole family, with a little bit for everyone.

Once the first-time visitor feels all of this, nostalgia takes care of bringing him/her back time after time.

• Minion

Nostalgia was part of the park's design intent. Said Walt:

“Disneyland would be a world of Americans, past and present, seen through the eyes of my imagination – a place of warmth and nostalgia, of illusion and color and delight...”

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here, age relives fond memories of the past... and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America… with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

“Disneyland will be the essence of America as we know it, the nostalgia of the past, with exciting glimpses into the future. It will give meaning to the pleasure of the children – and pleasure to the experience of adults. It will focus a new interest upon Southern California through the mediums of television and other exploitation. It will be a place for California to be at home, to bring its guests, to demonstrate its faith in the future. And, mostly as stated at the beginning – it will be a place for the people to find happiness and knowledge.”

“The idea of Disneyland is a simple one. It will be a place for people to find happiness and knowledge. It will be a place for parents and children to share pleasant times in one another’s company; a place for teachers and pupils to discover greater ways of understanding and education. Here the older generation can recapture the nostalgia of days gone by, and the younger generation can savor the challenge of the future. Here will be the wonders of Nature and Man for all to see and understand. Disneyland will be based upon and dedicated to the ideals, the dream and hard facts that have created America. And it will be uniquely equipped to dramatize these dreams and facts and send them forth as a source of courage and inspiration to all the world. Disneyland will be sometimes a fair, an exhibition, a playground, a community center, a museum of living facts, and a showplace of beauty and magic. It will be filled with accomplishments, the joys and hopes of the world we live in. And it will remind us and show us how to make these wonders part of our own lives.”

"I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past." - - Walt Disney

• MA Reader Since 2003

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDude2006 View Post
    Too bad I don't know what nostalgia means
    (I take it your being sarcastic) Ok Webster, I think most people know what I mean. A person can be nostalgic of times and places they have never been. If a person longs for a period of time like the 1950's because they percieve it as better, even if that person was not even born yet, this is nostalgia. The modern definition has a much broader meaning. In the past nostalgia was a condition that described an unhealthy yearning for family or homesickness. This sometimes resulted in soldiers being discharged from service in 19th century wars.

nos·tal·gia (n-stlj, n-)
    n.
    1. A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.
    Last edited by Diznyfan; 08-16-2007 at 02:03 PM.

-Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast