Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

California's Gold

A couple of weeks ago, Techskip and SpokkerJones mentioned Huell Howser, and his P.B.S. series, "California's Gold", while discussing all that Disney's California Adventure should be. In the show, the host explores various places in the Golden State while learning about its history and people.

In this thread, I'd like people to play Huell Howser for a while and share pictures and other information about the places that best represent the romance, interestingness, and evocativeness of California.

I have several images, myself, that I have taken in various locales, but I'm always interested in learning more about some of the communities and areas that I have yet to visit.

By better appreciating California, we may gain a greater understanding of where D.C.A. truly succeeds and where it simply fails.

Re: California's Gold

Here's Oak Glen, an apple-growing region off the 10 freeway in southern California:

Riley's Farm

One-Room Schoolhouse and Museum

Oak Tree Village

Oak Glen Road

Here's the historic Arrowhead Springs Hotel (1939) in the Arrowhead Springs area of San Bernardino, California:

The Arrowhead

Pointing to the once-fashionable hot springs resort is the Arrowhead, an immense geological formation on the side of the San Bernardino Mountains. The indigenous tribespeople who first settled the valley considered the Arrowhead to be a mystical sign directing them to the life-giving waters of the springs below.

The Cinema Side

The Terrace to the Main Dining Room

The Esther Williams Pool and Cabanas

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz's Bungalow

Jerry Lewis' Bungalow

Humphrey Bogart's Bungalow

Eleanor Roosevelt's Bungalow

Judy Garland's Bungalow

The San Bernardino Mountains

This is Santa Fe's 3751 locomotive, also in San Bernardino.

The 3751 pulled the "California Limited", which was the luxuriant train that first carried Walt Disney from middle America to Los Angeles in 1923. In the picture, the engine appears at San Bernardino Station (1918) where the machine is maintained by the San Bernardino Railroad Historical Society.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 08-16-2007 at 03:42 AM.

This is the California Citrus State Historic Park, which has been designed as a turn-of-the-19th-Century city park standing alongside expansive groves of several varieties of citrus trees.

Craftsman Gazebo Serving as Interpretive Center

Oil for Smudgepots

The Sunkist Events Center

"Redlands is a sight for the gods." - Theodore Roosevelt

The Orange Groves of San Timoteo Canyon - Redlands, California

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Please blow these pictures up to 3' wide and plaster the walls of the Imagineer's offices who are developing DCA's future.

The Arrowhead

Pointing to the once-fashionable hot springs resort is the Arrowhead, an immense geological formation on the side of the San Bernardino Mountains. The indigenous tribespeople who first settled the valley considered the Arrowhead to be a mystical sign directing them to the life-giving waters of the springs below.
    Interesting.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Here are a few more from Redlands:

Morey Mansion

University of Redlands

Historic Santa Fe Depot

J. S. Edwards Mansion

A. K. Smiley Public Library

Redlands Bowl and Prosellis

Across Baldwin Lake at the Los Angeles County Arboretum in Arcadia is the Queen Anne Cottage (1885).

Also in the Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanical Gardens is the historic Hugo Reid Adobe (1839) alongside examples of dwellings that the indigenous Tongva ("Gabrielino") tribespeople used.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I don't have any pictures to share, but it is a coincidence that I was thinking of this same thing this morning.

DCA's "problem" is that Disney was trying to present a California that never was while de-emphasizing the California that everyone knows. The Hollywood that Disney is trying to portray is not what really exists. Therefore it doesn't work. They need to present Hollywood how we know it but add a clean Disney twist to it -- not the hodge-podge they now have.

Paradise Pier is nice but I am almost 40 years old and a California native.
    I have never been to Santa Cruz and the Pike was almost non existent when I was born. This really isn't the California I grew up with. Yes, I do live in Newport Beach and they do have the Fun Zone, but that is limited to a carousel and ferris wheel, with one arcade. But even that is going to be changed dramatically now that the Newport Harbor Nautical Museum is moving in. But Paradise Pier is a beach that to most of us natives are not that familiar with at all.

It is exactly the feeling that is portrayed by these pictures that need to be presented in DCA.

• Just Me

When the Main Street Electrical Parade was 'glowing away forever' we went to Disneyland. I was very pregnant with my son. It was hot and verrrrrry crowded. I had never been to the DLH. We took the monorail over and neded up at The Lost Bar. I had icecream, while Hubby had a beer. We were looking through a booklet of concept art and promo material for this great new park they were planning.

Based on what we saw and heard from the bartender that day we got excited. It was really something so see. A park based on the wonders that can be found in California.

Imagine my surprise when we walked into DCA for the first time and saw nothing that resembled the promo material.

I am not a DCA basher. I like the park. I just can't help but think that there was just so much more that they could have done. It fell far short of what was originally planned. That is sad.

• DCA lover

What Disney needs to do is commission Huell Howser to film a custom episode (or more than one) of California's Gold, with segments on the "real" areas in California that are being emulated in the different areas (Monterey/Cannery Row, SF, boardwalk, Hollywood etc. etc.) and play that instead of Golden Dreams. There are probably existing episodes on these places that could be used anyway, perhaps cut for time.

This is the chateauesque Kimberly Crest (1897) along with its Italianate gardens in Redlands.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast