Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Wonderful World

Re: Adventure Thru Inner Space gets another shot!

I personally don't think they will bring back the ride. I'd rather bring back Rocket to the Moon.
    I'm back MiceChat

• Minion

>>As for the second question, as an old-timer I've been amazed, upon entering the world of the Internet, to discover what a cult following ATIS has.<<
    >>Let's just say that personally I do have a lot of nostalgia for this ride. When I was a kid I swear I was being shrunk. In fact looking a the shrunken Atom-mobiles from the queue -- I swear that is what was actually happening!

Well, that trend certainly speaks for itself. In terms of theme and image and experience, it resonated that strongly that many people are still passionate about it. Which is exactly why so many folks go to the park again and again and take their offspring - - to experience that level of thematic resonance.

>>It was not a particularly well-done dark ride, people, and it did not sustain any kind of notable popularity while it was running. After the newness wore off, after a few years, I'd say that most days it was a walk-on.<<

Actually, it was one of the most popular attractions with my contemporaries in the 1970's (and no, I don't mean Disney fans, but teens). And being an Omnimover it had an enormous capacity per hour, which is why there was generally a short line. A nice thing to encounter and also adding to its popularity. It's melodramatic Paul Frees spiel was as well-quoted for my generation as Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean.

What other kind of totally sensory illusionary ride-thru experience do we have a Disneyland these days? I think that was part of its power. It was trippy!

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    When I was a kid I swear I was being shrunk. In fact looking a the shrunken Atom-mobiles from the queue -- I swear that is what was actually happening!
    That Mighty Microscope prop from the queue was by far the cleverest and most interesting prop in the whole ride. After all the negative comments I made, let me add a little balance by saying that I doff my hat to that one prop. Who know how many kids were scared away by it?

• Minion

>> Who know how many kids were scared away by it?<<

Not many. It's cool to read how many former kids actually thought they were being shrunk! Disneyland was remarkable for exploring so many different levels of experience at the time. Outer space, inner space, the spirit world, underwater, on the water, in the air. We're missing so much of that "experience cocktail' today... and it's all timeless theming and completely immersive.

• Special Agent

Why would Disney spend millions of dollars to build a ride to promote a movie made by FOX? That makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Actually, it was one of the most popular attractions with my contemporaries in the 1970's (and no, I don't mean Disney fans, but teens).
    Yeah, there's a couple good reason why teenagers loved that ride, but probably not the ones you're thinking of.

• Minion

>>Why would Disney spend millions of dollars to build a ride to promote a movie made by FOX? That makes no sense.<<

Ask George Lucas and Michael Eisner!

In this case, I was thinking the reverse, that the theme of Adventure Thru Inner Space would be promoted by Fantastic Voyage, which is certainly the way it worked back in the 60's... There was always a symbiosis between the two, released only a year apart and thematically similar.

Executives always seem to need some sort of familiarity with a concept in order to visualize and greenlight something, so I thought a movie might help them, as usual.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

>>If it's a Pixar film, Tomorrowland will get a tie-in whether it's appropriate or not.<<

What's Pixar got to do with Fantastic Voyage or Adventure Thru Inner Space?
    About as much as Disney promoting a Fox production.

• Minion

>>About as much as Disney promoting a Fox production.<<

Star Tours? (Star Wars was released by 20th Century Fox in 1977, and Fox released all its later sequels).

Alien? (Another Fox film found at WDW).

So there is preceedent.

However, in this case it needn't promote the film, but the film promotes Adventure Thru Inner Space, like in 1967.

• Special Agent

>>Why would Disney spend millions of dollars to build a ride to promote a movie made by FOX? That makes no sense.<<

Ask George Lucas and Michael Eisner!
    So the answer is that Disney is so creatively bankrupt that they can't make popular movies anymore? Isn't that the reason Eisner turned to outside properties in the 1980s?

I think there's a far better chance that you can get a High School Musical 2 ride in Tomorrowland. Why don't you petition for that instead.

• Minion

>>I think there's a far better chance that you can get a High School Musical 2 ride in Tomorrowland. Why don't you petition for that instead.<<

Well, High School Musical doesn't sound particularly scientific, psychedelic, melodramatic, fantastic or hyper-experiential like shrinking to the size of an atom - - nor does it really fit with Walt's vision of optimistic futurism in Tomorrowland.

I'd say your idea of a High School Musical attraction, MrLiver, seems more like a DCA kind-of-thing, with limited-motion animatronics and some children's museum-like interactive bits. Or another 3-D film (Zak pops out at you! You can smell his cologne!!) or maybe a mini-Broadway revue with some spunky kids on the go!

But it's certainly a popular property. So go for it! Keep on dreaming, MrLiver - - you may yet get your wish!

But, for me, I'd rather shrink and trip-out in Tomorrowland!!!
    Last edited by merlinjones; 08-16-2007 at 12:45 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Some of you are confusing MerlinJones wishes for disney to make a ride based on Fox's Fantastic Voyage. That's not what he wants. He wants Disney to remake Adventure Thru Inner Space.

And there's certainly a difference between seeing FOX film icons in say, The Great Movie Ride than there is about Star Tours.

Star Tours isn't so much Fox but more LUCASFILM. All of the other non-disney attractions heavily featured in disney parks around the world are also LUCASFILM (indiana jones), and then there's the projects where both sides created something original (Captain EO, Alien Encounter... both with Lucas' name attached).

MGM's The Great Movie Ride is just that. A Great Movie Ride... not the DISNEY Great Movie Ride, though I think that would be really cool if they made that in DCA or something.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    So the answer is that Disney is so creatively bankrupt that they can't make popular movies anymore? Isn't that the reason Eisner turned to outside properties in the 1980s?

I think there's a far better chance that you can get a High School Musical 2 ride in Tomorrowland. Why don't you petition for that instead.
    Oh yes, because you know High School Musical 2 would definatley fit in tomorrowland. There is a small (if really small) chance that there might be an Adventure Through Inner Space. They could spiffy it up, and it could be great.

Though I doubt it'll happen because lately the trend is fix the old, and add new Pixar rides (I do love Pixar though). So, most likely we won't get an ATIS. But there is a small chance for everything at Disneyland. I mean, we can't for sure say no, and we can't judge entirely since we don't know exactly what's going on.

And could you imagine the mess high School Musical 2 in Tomorrowland would cause? People already hate the subs there.

• Minion

In a way, WDW's Alien Encounter took its zetgeist from Fox's "Alien" films too, even though it wasn't actually a spin-off. But who could really tell?

>>Some of you are confusing MerlinJones wishes for disney to make a ride based on Fox's Fantastic Voyage. That's not what he wants. He wants Disney to remake Adventure Thru Inner Space.<<

Yes, and I think the theme of Adventure Thru Inner Space would benefit from "Fantastic Voyage" being back in the marketplace, as that's certainly what happened back in the 60's. The original "Voyage" came out in 1966 - and ATIS opened in 1967. They were not the same, yet were sort-of born connected at the hip.

• Fighter Pilot

ATIS was a unique experience at Disneyland, being the only ride that reflected a totally deisgn and effects oriented experience. It added a different, unique level to a day at Disneyland.

it's spelt "design"

man people and spelling these days

• Minion

>>it's spelt "design"<<

Thanks, dude! I fixed the original post.

Design was indeed critical at Disneyland in those days, no matter how you spelled it. For the time, that light and effects show was impressive. With new effects, no telling what they could do with the design of ATIS.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast