Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Adventure Thru Inner Space gets another shot!

Yes I did love it as a teen.

The Host asked "Are we actually shrinking!?". I looked down and said emphatically NO!

Chad

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

I have a hard time imagining that nostalgia surrounding an extinct attraction (which has been replaced, not just left 'dormant'), and a loose connection to a competitor's upcoming venture is enough to generate the corporate enthusiasm needed to release millions and millions of dollars for its planning and construction; but I wish you luck, MJ.

• Banned User

you are really stuck in the past. And as to your feedback my comment was directly related to subject.

Disneyland is doing awesome and it would be sad to see it take a step back just to fulfill those people who can't let go of some old attraction. Tomorrowland is a land of progress, not digression.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post
    you are really stuck in the past. And as to your feedback my comment was directly related to subject.

Disneyland is doing awesome and it would be sad to see it take a step back just to fulfill those people who can't let go of some old attraction. Tomorrowland is a land of progress, not digression.

Sometimes progress is looking back and making it better. When they decided to make a feature film about Pirates of the Caribbean, who would have thought it would become as huge as it was? That's progress right there and it really is possible to take an old idea and make it fresh and new again.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post

We are talking about progress. You think they are going to dig the old funky props out of storage, plop it in tomorrowland, blow off the dust and say here goes?

Discovering the mysteries of the atom is the future. Perhaps you are "stuck in the future" where space rangers blast creatures who wear the evil Z target. With current technology they could make this unlike the old Monsanto version.

I hope attitudes are more pleasant in the future, don't you?

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    I guess if you live in Sacramento you don't have to worry about choosing to live in the past - - it's automatic!

I can vouch for that!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Eeyore smiling

The best part of ATIS was that it was FREE, it was a cool dark ride that did not require a ticket, yes it was around back when we all needed an E ticket to ride.
    So part of the nastalgia is tied into the fact that kids could ride it over and over again while their parents were not counting the tickets left!
    Having said that, my favorite memory was loading into a buggy and discovering $20 left on the seat, I could not believe my luck, and believe me back then 20 bucks could buy a whole bunch of disney souveniers!

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Actually, it was one of the most popular attractions with my contemporaries in the 1970's (and no, I don't mean Disney fans, but teens).
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Yeah, there's a couple good reason why teenagers loved that ride, but probably not the ones you're thinking of.
    I can attest to that.

Part of the fun working at Character Shop was accessing ATIS from the stock room and standing under the OmniMover track, near the microscope. Once your eyes adjusted, it was easy to spot the kids who were focused on a different kind of adventure. We used to shoot 'em with water pistols.

Ahh the squeals of young love.

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Long Distance Imagineer

Here's an idea MerlinJones: Why not ask John Lasseter to make a Pixar movie based on ATIS, then you'll definitely get your wish!

• Animatronic

I'd love to see an updated ATIS. Water molecules are old news though and I'd update with today's hot technology, nano fabrication. I'd show self assembling carbon nano structures, electrons whipping around a room temperature super conductor, a frictionless surface, and all the other wonders the near future will bring at a nano scale.

I'll ride first with a hot chick.

• Minion

>>Disneyland is doing awesome and it would be sad to see it take a step back just to fulfill those people who can't let go of some old attraction.<<

Tell that to all the people waiting two hours in the hot sun to ride the submarines this summer!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5csCPFQ6i...elated&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=muP2zsasflg
    Last edited by merlinjones; 08-16-2007 at 10:21 PM.

• Minion

if they did revamp and install a new inner space,and lets say fantastic voyage is going to be a blockbuster....does that make disney one of the me to companys at that point?by that i mean..if someone has a cool product.(ill use pokemon as an example)..pokemon is doing very well.so along comes disney with stitch the series..great exept it seems like the disney awnser to pokemon....and would be forever comapred to it
    so innerspace should be left alone..in yesterland, as much as i miss it(love the repleacemnt though)unless as some have said, pixar gets a wild hair..and does something similar then we will have no choice..

heres another example..super heroes are a hot comodity..bat man, spiderman,blade, then here comes pixar with the incredables(although i do like it) and disney with sky high.(like this one to)they basicly said to every one..look we have superheroes to...
    so it would be with inner space vs fantastic voyage

• MINIATURIZATION!!!....

Thumbs up Re: Adventure Thru Inner Space gets another shot!

OK, look at my screename and avatar... Am I an ATIS nut? Heck yes! Do I wish it were still around? Heck yes again! Do I think it could have survived all these years without something like Star Tours coming and eating it? No way! Being in the position of being from both the ATIS generation AND the Star Tours generation, I've loved both rides... I really do think that addressing the thinking behind ATIS again would be worthwhile...

As Lore said, doing a kind of NanoTech sort of thing would be cool... Imaging mixing ATIS with Horizons & some theming like Alien Encounter had, use some advanced show system, like what they are cooking up for the Toy Story ride and BANG ZOOM! A changable multiended, tech themed ride that shrinks you! Just look at the Disney legacy with shrinking things: Adventure Thru Innerspace, Body Wars, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Tron (OK, he was digitized, but he still was conceptually shrunk too)... Walt was fascinated with tiny dioramas and the shrinking to a speck idea is one that hasn't run its course of fascination. The possibilities remain for a techy- action packed entertainment property followed by a super cool attraction...

• I may be nutz...but...

I don't care bout no movie remake, but, RECREATE ATIS! That is my all time favorite DL attraction ever! I LOVED, LOVED, that attraction! They could update it for the new century and it would be awesome! YES! YES! YES! Bring back ATIS! NOW!
    Should I tell you how I really feel!

susa"ATISriding"belle

Random comments on the previous posts --

(1) I think it's time for an Adventure Thru Inner Space movie;

(2) I think it's time for an Adventure Thru Inner Space musical;

(3) People are nostalgic for the ride because it was different from all the others, enjoyable visually, pleasantly disorienting, etc., plus was air-conditioned and had a short wait, and really gave a sense of going to a different world;

(4) People are nostalgic for the ride because they lost their virginity while riding, or just for good measure made sure said virginity stayed good and gone.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast